Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Buying online

Hi,

I'm in Australia and was hoping I could get some recommendations for online stores to buy lenses from. Either Australian or international stores or ebay stores with good prices, excellent customer service and is an honest dealer that you have used and would contine to use.

Daz

02-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

B&H USofA

UPS lost a lense in transit to me here in Oz & B&H returned my money immediately.

Could'nt ask for better service.

Wal'
02-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Well I bought a 360 flash from B&H a it arrived within days & saved me a packet on local supply. Now, today I came across this A-Shawed Quality Products :: Electronics :: DA 10-17mm () (black)

website. Prices aren't much more than B&H if at all & local. Now I don't know them so this is not a recommendation. If you buy from them, let's know how it goes.
02-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for B&H online. Very prompt with communication and deliverytime was less then 5 days to NZ (reached Aus by the 3rd day) using the UPS world wide saver. Adorama are also reputed to be very good but i have no experience buying from them.

02-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Another vote for B&H online. Very prompt with communication and deliverytime was less then 5 days to NZ (reached Aus by the 3rd day) using the UPS world wide saver. Adorama are also reputed to be very good but i have no experience buying from them.
And yet another who was satisfied with B&H. I got my DA* 16-50 from them. Professional service, and proper paperwork for Canadian import. It was shipped 23 Nov 07. I ordered it in the evening, 21 Nov 07 on line.

I am also very satisfied with Galaxy Camera in Ottawa, Canada, where I got the rest of my DAs the K10D and the grip. Fair prices, great service.
02-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yep...B&H. I once placed an order with them for a piece of gear for my job and 3 days later the receptionist called me asking how long I was going to leave my package in the lobby. I wasn't sure what she was talking about, so I went to take a look. Sure enough, it was my order from B&H. The receptionist said it had been there a couple of days. lol
02-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am from Melbourne. I have bought from both B&H (B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders) and keh.com many times. I have bought from Adorama (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera) a couple of times too.

Locally, Discount Digital Photographics: Welcome! seems to have good prices on Canon and Nikon stuff. I bought my digital video camera from them over the phone and no problems at all.

Digital Camera Warehouse in Sydney seems to get mentioned a few times before (on another forum): Digital Camera Warehouse Australia - Discount Digital Cameras shipped Australia Wide - Home

I can't seem to find the bookmark now but there is another good camera store in Adelaide, South Australia.

cheers
Kenny
02-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

And yet another Aussie vote for B & H

02-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #9

im in w.a. have ordered from adorama twice. my experience was the same as the postive views of other b&h orders.

i will continue ordering from adorama (cheaper? atleast on what ive wanted so far) but b&h looks good too.
02-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote

I can't seem to find the bookmark now but there is another good camera store in Adelaide, South Australia.

cheers
Kenny
I think the one Kenny is thinking of is Digital Cameras, All Major Brands, Discounted Now at Camerastore.com.au!
02-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
And yet another who was satisfied with B&H. I got my DA* 16-50 from them. Professional service, and proper paperwork for Canadian import. It was shipped 23 Nov 07. I ordered it in the evening, 21 Nov 07 on line.

I am also very satisfied with Galaxy Camera in Ottawa, Canada, where I got the rest of my DAs the K10D and the grip. Fair prices, great service.
Hello, I am just wondering if you can answer a few questions for me:

1) The import paperwork = faster delievery?
2) Is it duty free to order from USA?
3) As for the Canadian taxes, I have to pay at my door right?
4) Does b&h give us the Pentax international warranty card? What about for Tamron Lenses?

Thanks. I haven't purchased camera gear from outside of Canada before. Canadian pricing is just ripoffs.
03-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
4) Does b&h give us the Pentax international warranty card? What about for Tamron Lenses?

Thanks. I haven't purchased camera gear from outside of Canada before. Canadian pricing is just ripoffs.
Canadian pricing seems to be hit-and-miss. Galaxy Camera in Ottawa (mentioned earlier in this thread) sold me my K20D for a better price than I've seen anywhere else, including online US--pretty incredible for a brick & mortar retailer, I think! Pity they don't sell even post prices online (for the curious, see Galaxy Camera FotoSource Ottawa . . . 613-234-8831 but note that much is out of date--their website Pentax lens lineup would be a dream if they had it all in stock still!!). I check electronic prices and then call or go in to see if they'll beat it. For Canadian competitors, they generally will.

And yet they charge the typical-in-Canada $1,000 for the DA* 16-50! Hence my WTB post here. But since that's being ignored (COME ON, ALL THESE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THEIR 16-50'S AND NO ONE WANTS TO UNLOAD ONE ON ME? OR DO YOU NOT READ THE WTB SECTION? BEN, I'M LOOKING AT YOU!) I'm facing an online (and US) purchase.

SO FIRST QUESTION--HOW DO I WEIGH STORE REP AGAINST PRICE? Willoughby's, which *sounds* credible as an established store, seems to have the best price for the DA* 16-50 at the moment ($635...wait, that's them via amazon.com; on their own site they list $700: WTF?) but everyone recommends B&H, which charges $700 and Adorama falls in between with $660. Assuming the $635 is for real, is it worth the $25 extra to order from Adorama or the $65 extra to order from B&H? [I want this lens for a trip to South America in one month: a couple extra days in shipping time doesn't matter to me--though a couple weeks difference could defeat the point of ordering this lens!]

SECOND QUESTION--WHAT ABOUT SERVICE ISSUES (THINK INFAMOUS 16-50 QC)? With all the QC issues with the 16-50 in particular (and I gather that while many think the QC is resolved, this opinion seems far from unanymous), are there Canada/US or company-to-company differences I should consider in the event I get a bad copy? Would I have to send a poor performer to Pentax USA for service if that's where I buy from? (I guess this relates to the Q re Pentax international warranty card: I guess this card helps you get warrantee service with your local country's branch of Pentax?) Are some stores better at helping with duds (or ideally, would any actually go so far as to TEST a lens before shipping out?

Any and all advice (OR OFFERS!) much appreciated.
04-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #13

Here is another one looking forward to purchase a DA*16-50 from US. Iīve got the same questions like David, Warranty issues, what if... etc...
04-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you purchase the 16 - 50 through mail order please do us all a favor and insist that they test it first

Tell the store that you want to see the images first, and if necessary send them a link to some of the posts on it here.

There have just been too many people with problems with theirs
04-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #15

I donīt think they will do it.

Anyway, if there might be somthing wrong with the DA*, where do I have to go in Sydney/Australia? Itīs not a problem for me to bring in the lens, unless there is a international warranty card...

What about customs duty in Australia?