Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How are lenses made weather resistant?

How are lenses weather resistant?
Would most of the moisture get in between the lens and the camera mount?

Thanks

Randy

12-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's a rubber seal around the lens mount that prevents moisture from getting in, and similar seals located around every other opening. If you have any WR lenses, you can see the mount seal in action when the lens is mounted!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's a rubber seal around the lens mount that prevents moisture from getting in, and similar seals located around every other opening. If you have any WR lenses, you can see the mount seal in action when the lens is mounted!
Thanks Adam
So it is possible with the right material to make a gasket to weather proof the lens to camera mount as long as its not effecting the electronic contacts?
Would have to be very thin and durable of course

Thanks
Randy
12-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Thanks Adam
So it is possible with the right material to make a gasket to weather proof the lens to camera mount as long as its not effecting the electronic contacts?
Would have to be very thin and durable of course

Thanks
Randy
They disposable make plastic covers for your lens that cost like 50 cents- I'd go down that route if you want a quick-and-dirty solution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Must be, because Pentax is doing it with their WR lenses .

Edit: for a DIY WR, use a zip-lock bag.
12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Most of us think of moisture when the subject of weather sealing comes up but dust is also a big problem. I've read several interviews with Nat Geo photographers and they always mention dust as the camera and lens killer when they travel to dry and arid climates.
12-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, with the right tools you could machine a groove on the lens mount's flange, and put in a gasket or o-ring of the correct size, then lastly dissassemble the lens and put similar gaskets at each open point... that would become tricky pretty fast, however
12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
MSM
Veteran Member

just curious. For those that have telescoping WR lenses such as the 18-135 mm, can you still zoom when its raining or do you have to stick at one length? I am just wondering if water on the lens barrel needs to be wiped off prior to retracting the lens

12-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
just curious. For those that have telescoping WR lenses such as the 18-135 mm, can you still zoom when its raining or do you have to stick at one length? I am just wondering if water on the lens barrel needs to be wiped off prior to retracting the lens
The general advice is to wipe the lens after you finish using it. I have a 18-55 and 60-250 WR and I just use them normally under difficult conditions, but when I'm done I extend them, wipe them, and leave them to dry completely.
12-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Indeed, with the right tools you could machine a groove on the lens mount's flange, and put in a gasket or o-ring of the correct size, then lastly dissassemble the lens and put similar gaskets at each open point... that would become tricky pretty fast, however
Another idea would be to have the groove in the body so ALL lenses would be weather proof

thanks

randy
12-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

And that's how cameras gets ruined and voided of warranty
12-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Another idea would be to have the groove in the body so ALL lenses would be weather proof
Only the camera would be protected that way, and then not completely. Lenses have many openings, especially zoom lenses, so water, dust, moisture could still get in and eventually ruin your lens (or gamera, if it works its way to the body).
12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
MSM
Veteran Member

@bdery. Thanks for the info. I was worried that the zooming would introduce moisture but I guess that is what the WR is for.
12-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Dunno how its done, but the barrel on the DA* 16-50 zooms in/out and I've had it unprotected in torrential downpours for upwards of an hour or more. The lens has been zoomed repeatedly while wet many many times over the past several years. It just works!

Of course, it was not until I recently had a simple repair done and the weather seals in the camera were damaged... at which point water from a very mild rain got inside the camera -- and then naturally Pentax will not cover the damage because "it appears water got inside the camera". No F'n kidding water got inside the camera!

I find it really odd that the camera was the one to fail first and in a mild rain, but the lens is fine after many wet days days.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know what magic they put in those lenses to keep out the dust and moisture.
12-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What about the change in volume on a WR lens like the 18-135mm? How does it exchange air pressure with the atmosphere and still maintain its WR-ness?