Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Raynox DCR-5000

I didn't find anything about this wide angle converter.
It has a 52mm mount screw, so a asume it will fit on KIT lense.
Does anybody have some experiences with it? Will it work OK on DSLR or is it ment for P&S cameras only. With 52mm of mount screw, I don't know any P&S camera with such a large lense....
Here is the link

02-14-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you need to try each of these wide angle adaptors yourself on your own lenses.

I have a .45X wide angle adaptor, that I bought for my Kodak DX7590 It does well to convert the 38-380 mm equivelent into a 17-170 equivelent, which makes the kodak a really compact travel kit.

The Kodak cameras have an adaptor that threads into the body, around the lens. the body threads are 42mm, and the adaptor takes 55mm attachments. Each maker of cameras will have a different approach to this, with different sized attachments. Other wide angle adaptors have been around since the beginning of photography, but are made for normal lenses to make them semi wide, otherwise they suffer badly from vignetting or have a circlar image when used on SLRs. The ASP-C sensor helps in this area, but note that this will not fit the kit lens without serious restrictions in field of view, due to the small thread size,

the lens I have has a 58 mm thread, and I step it down to the 55 mm adaptor with a stepping ring.

Just for fun, I have tried this on my Tamron Adaptall II 24mm f2.5 and it gives me a semi fish eye 11 mm no vignetting visible in the view finder however I have not tested it with a uniform lit surface.

each of these lenses will be different however. and a lens with a 52mm filter ring night only be suitable on perhaps a 28mm f2.8 which has a small filter size.

WHat lens are you intending to use it with?
02-14-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking with KIT lense 18-55....
02-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
I was thinking with KIT lense 18-55....
what is your filter size? on my 18-35 (kit lens for the *istD) it is 67mm.

You need a wide angle adaptor that has a filter diamerter at least as big as the lens, otherwise you will seriously cut off the image and field of view.

02-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The filter size of KIT lense is 52mm.
Here is more about this converter...
02-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
The filter size of KIT lense is 52mm.
Here is more about this converter...
all i can say is try it. you will get distortion (fisheye effect) at shorter focal lengths and possibly vignetting or a circular image also at the shorter focal lengths.

On my 24mm, while the coverage is OK for a DSLR, I do get a rounded image in the corners if I mount the lens on a 35MM camera. (Note my 24mm is a full frame lens) It is just too difficult to predict. but you will probably be able to get a fuill frame down to at least the effective 10mm focal length.
02-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for that!
06-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #8

Hello, finally did you ever try the Raynox on the kit lens??? Sorry for opening an outdated post, but I am inerested on a dcr 5000 but I don't know if it is compatible with kit the 18-55...
Bye.
marco