Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
used Vivitar 75-205

Just bought a used Vivitar 75-205 f3.8 macro. I'm hoping it'll work with the K30 that I have. Will I need a 2x adapter to make it couple to my camera? Or will it attach as is?
After reading reviews of it on this forum I decided to take the plunge for $30 with shipping. I want it mainly for the macro. I was looking for something cheap like this in the 18-70 range, but didn't find any.

12-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If it is Pentax K mount, then it will work fine, but Vivitar made that lens in many different mounts. With many old K mount Vivitar zooms you might have to do a very slight modification to make it fit a modern camera. There is a black shield around the aperture lever that interferes with the internals of a DSLR, this is usually easily removed by just removing the screws. It can be cut down to normal size and reinstalled if you choose, but I just left mine off.

I don't believe that particular lens has an A position on the aperture ring, so you'll need to enable the setting on the K-30 to allow the aperture ring. It will only work in M metering mode, since it cannot transmit aperture data to the camera. You'll set the aperture on the lens, then hit the green button for the camera to give you the appropriate shutter speed.

The last one I saw had a serial number starting with 22, meaning it is Kiron made, they have a very good reputation.
12-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It says it is for a Pentax, but didn't say if it was a K mount. The serial number does begin with a 22. Guess I'll just have to wait till it gets here to see if it fits. May have to get back to you on which piece will actually have to be removed.
12-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kiron made ones are renowned for sticky aperture blades - my copy of this lens has this issue - it did not need any modification to the mount to work well on my K20D however.

The sticky aperture blades close down when the ring is turned to the smallest aperture (1/22) but when opened up they just don't spring open again - I have to remove the lens and move the actuation lever to open them up again - can be a challenge when wanting to focus at wide open position and then shut down to take the image These two steps work to spec but then when I open up the aperture to recompose and refocus the blades refuse to open and I have to remove the lens and reset the blades to fully open - there are manual lenses and 'manual' lenses.

I have sent it off for a relubrication and adjustment... Apparently the torque needed to open is quite great and the spring/lever power is quite small so even a little oil is enough to bog the mechanism. Hope yours is in better condition.

12-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rr2gtfd Quote
Just bought a used Vivitar 75-205 f3.8 macro. I'm hoping it'll work with the K30 that I have. Will I need a 2x adapter to make it couple to my camera? Or will it attach as is?
After reading reviews of it on this forum I decided to take the plunge for $30 with shipping. I want it mainly for the macro. I was looking for something cheap like this in the 18-70 range, but didn't find any.
Hello,

I recently bought one of these, the PK mount one-touch version (there is also a two-touch or two-ring version). Look at this post for a picture of mine, and there are several examples from this lens by me and others in the thread. It is a VERY nice lens, high quality in all respects.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/88217-vivitar-lens-club-share-...ml#post1928061
...and here...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/88217-vivitar-lens-club-share-...ml#post1929486

Mine did not have the excessive-flange problem that has been mentioned. It was "plug'n'play" for me (fully manual, of course - no "A" setting on the aperture ring).

-Joe-