Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron SP AF 90mm vs. Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm

I currently own the Rokinon branded version of the 85mm f/1.4 MF lens and did a shoot with it and it was great. Nothing wrong with it except the MF ( I knew it when I got it, not a complaint about the lens, but my use of it) and the long minimal focus distance of nearly 40 inches.

Looking at the Tamron 90mm to replace it AND allow me to do Macro work too. I lose the f/1.4, but the sub f/2.8 is not a strength of the Rokinon anyway.

Have any of you owned them both and how do they compare for portrait work? The Tamron has a slow focus, but a limiter, but even in scenarios where I had to go to full manual focus, that's what I'm using on the Rokinon anyway.

12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Looking at the Tamron 90mm to replace it AND allow me to do Macro work too. I lose the f/1.4, but the sub f/2.8 is not a strength of the Rokinon anyway.
I am intrigued by this statement. From all that I have read and seen, the Rokinon is very sharp wide open. Are you sure that you are just not nailing focus? It is not a trivial matter when using really fast lenses with such shallow depth of field. Do you have an aftermarket focusing screen? The stock focusing screen can't show accurate depth of field for apertures wider than f2.8, which means you are pretty much guessing at f2.0 and wider.
12-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I am intrigued by this statement. From all that I have read and seen, the Rokinon is very sharp wide open. Are you sure that you are just not nailing focus? It is not a trivial matter when using really fast lenses with such shallow depth of field. Do you have an aftermarket focusing screen? The stock focusing screen can't show accurate depth of field for apertures wider than f2.8, which means you are pretty much guessing at f2.0 and wider.
Well, I am going by all the reviews I read on the Rokinon before I purchased it. It may well be that it's a function of the stock focusing screen (which I am using). I typically rely on the focusing "beep" when manually focusing as well.
12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Well, I am going by all the reviews I read on the Rokinon before I purchased it. It may well be that it's a function of the stock focusing screen (which I am using). I typically rely on the focusing "beep" when manually focusing as well.
Yea you can't really go by the beep. I dont know if you have read about the huge focus points but that applies here...especially with a 85mm f1.4 lens wide open where such a small portion of the frame is actually in focus. You can focus on someone's eye, the camera thinks you were focusing on the ear and will beep. Of course you can't see it in the viewfinder because the stock focusing screen is only good to f2.8. Then you look at the pic on your full sized monitor where the eye is slightly out of focus so you think the lens isn't sharp.
I would double check your focus with live view magnification before giving up on the samyang.

That doesn't mean don't get the tamron as well. They both fill their roles wonderfully.

12-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Yea you can't really go by the beep. I dont know if you have read about the huge focus points but that applies here...especially with a 85mm f1.4 lens wide open where such a small portion of the frame is actually in focus. You can focus on someone's eye, the camera thinks you were focusing on the ear and will beep. Of course you can't see it in the viewfinder because the stock focusing screen is only good to f2.8. Then you look at the pic on your full sized monitor where the eye is slightly out of focus so you think the lens isn't sharp.
I would double check your focus with live view magnification before giving up on the samyang.

That doesn't mean don't get the tamron as well. They both fill their roles wonderfully.
It wasn't so much "giving up" on the Samyang, but replacing it with a dual purpose Tamron (90mm portrait + macro). The AF is a bonus on that score, so I was wondering how they compare in terms of bokeh, color, etc for portraits.