Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Waiting on Parts from Japan

Ugggggg ...my beloved DA* 16-50 is in for repairs (been 4 weeks so far) - I have been pretty lucky with the 3 or 4 repairs I have taken various components in for. When I called today - I was told they are waiting on parts from Japan - along with the helpful "they" have no idea when the parts will arrive - which lends credence to the original 6-12 week quote I got (up from the previous quotes of 4-6 weeks).

This post is just a beef - unless we have some large Japanese members here who are willing to walk softly with a big stick into Pentax Japan on my behalf I'll sit here and be in hurry up and wait mode. We do have a trip planned for February 2013 fingers crossed (cause if it ain't here close to that , my LBA will likely cruise the marketplace for something )

12-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i feel your pain...my husband got an optio wg2 and it worked for 2 weeks before we had to send it off for repair...after 9 weeks of poor response from pentax we got them to agree to send a new one..i was not happy and hope i don't have anything that needs repair through pentax...one of the biggest things that upset me was they never followed through on their promises...i hope you get it soon!!!
12-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

I'm glad for our warranty policy here in europe, we have guaranteed warranty of two years no matter what and any claim must be solved in 30 days or you got money back
I would kill myself waiting 12 weeks for repair
12-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, that's nothing. I took my Promaster flash unit in to have it's firmware updated (for free BTW), two months later it came back not working, sent it back to Promaster now a month ago. No idea when I'll see it next.

12-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well it was just a shade over 5 weeks - apparently it went from 'we have no idea' to holy crap the parts are here ! It was a Steve Austin fix haha. Replace Motor, Cam Rings. Ornament Seal , Packing D, Zooming operation ring A, Lens PC Board ASS'Y AF SYS and Clean and Adjust.

I slapped it on the K5 , seem to be a whole new lens. Not sure it every locked focus as quick. Have to think it would have almost been cheaper to send me a new one. The price was fair enough (about $300 no sense in the well it should not have happened in the first place argument it's moot ) for what is essentially a new lens. It's a real bonus to have this before Christmas I am stoked !

Last edited by daacon; 12-21-2012 at 07:00 AM.
12-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm glad you got it back. I've heard so many 16-50 stories like this that I've avoided it completely which is too bad because optically, it seems to be a fantastic lens.