Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Grimlock, if you want build an efficient kit with primes, then you don't need too many. Generally, most people need wide angle, normal, and short telephoto primes. If you're doing portraiture, then you'd want the FA* 85/1.4, which is specifically designed for portraiture. Otherwise, you could very well get buy with the FA Limited primes or the DA Limited primes or some combination thereof. You don't need a prime to fit every single focal length. That's not the point of primes. When I had more lenses, I usually had a normal prime on my camera body and carried one or two more in my pocket along with some filters. I rarely changed lenses. I start and complete a shot with the same lens. It's a matter of style. Just note that you don't have to switch primes for every shot.

02-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Well, it looks like I erg-ed too soon. The Tamron produced great test shots off the tripod, like this one:

Apparently, my fuzzy shots were the result of my rubber arms trying to hand-hold that lens, which flakes me out a bit because they looked fuzzy, not blurry. The little bubbles that I described earlier are still there, along with a most-notable bit of dust almost dead-center in the front element, but nothing showing up in my tripod shots, so I guess it's all good-except for the fact that I'll need to have some sort of support in order to shoot with this lens reliably. I guess I can keep a monopod duct-taped onto my back for times like this. Either that or work out my arms like mad. Jeez, I feel like a yutz.
02-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
If I want a fast zoom for sports (indoor basketball, baseball, maybe soccer) what are the good alternatives to the DA*50-135? should I just save my money and pay the piper?
I recommend gettin' that piper paid! My DA* 50-135 is the best quality lens I've ever spent my own money on and it is built for the long haul. A solid value, worth every penny (all 79995 of them) I paid for it at B&H.
02-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Frankly, it's worth buying simply because it looks cool....But the fact that it is a fast, sharp lens is bonus...or is it the other way around.

Hey!

I've got also a dilemma! I've started with sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG! The quality of photos is outstanding! Now I need a good telephoto, for street photography. Is your 50-135 performing well with Tamron 1.4 converter ?! Do you notice some slowdowns of your SSM ?!

02-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Camilsky Quote
Hey!

I've got also a dilemma! I've started with sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG! The quality of photos is outstanding! Now I need a good telephoto, for street photography. Is your 50-135 performing well with Tamron 1.4 converter ?! Do you notice some slowdowns of your SSM ?!

I've been using the 50-135 with the Tamron 1.4x TC, and here's what I've found: In good lighting, on a tripod, there's absolutely no degradation in IQ or AF speed that I can determine - it's as if you have a DA* 190mm, it's exceptional.

In poorer lighting, the AF hunts a little bit more with the TC attached.

Handheld, there is a very slight drop off in sharpness at times, and I think it's due to the shake reduction not being 100% calibrated to the new actual focal length (190mm vs 135.) Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to can adjust that while in AF - in manual focus, you can set shake reduction to 180 or 200mm.

The sharpness dropoff is minimal, however, and I could really only notice it through taking dozens of shots and pixel-peeping. And there's not a drop off with every shot, just the ones where shake reduction may have played a factor, meaning shots where your hand was moving. And even on those occasions, it's still sharper than just about any other zoom I've used.

Metering was spot on with the TC, didn't have to adjust for exposure at all.

So, overall I'd say it works wonderfully with the Tamron 1.4x TC, and the limitations that the TC bring are mitigated by the fact that this lens's IQ starts in the stratosphere.

02-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
So, overall I'd say it works wonderfully with the Tamron 1.4x TC, and the limitations that the TC bring are mitigated by the fact that this lens's IQ starts in the stratosphere.

I agree.
There is more here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19694-tamron-t...rter-pics.html
02-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Though I will likely get the 50-135 down the road. I will second the post on the K 135 2.5. I have had mine only a few days and am still getting used to the IQ of this lens. AMAZING!