Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Sigma 180 3.5 Macro...

any users out there?

12-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had one for a year or so - only sold it due to non-use. I don't do any true macro work - mostly close-up flowers etc where my D FA 100 WR works just fine for.

Absolutely tack sharp lens. I took a couple of my best flower shots with it.

It is fairly heavy - I used it primarily on a tripod. I does have it's own tripod collar/foot.

It's an EX series lens that depicts is great build quality.

Focus was fast enough being a screw drive - didn't hunt and was very decisive when locking focus.

The fact that it was f3.5 didn't bother me since I used it outside in good light most of the time.

I don't print many images at all, but this one is a 16x20 on a stand out frame hanging in my dining room:
12-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
sharp lens-higly recomanded
12-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by koper Quote
sharp lens-higly recomanded
...if I can find it...right?

12-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
...if I can find it...right?
Exactly! When they do come available they are usually pretty expensive.
12-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #6

tempraly you can use ather macro lenses

Sigma reveals APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM full-frame 1:1 macro lens

[]Jan 10, 2012 at 00:00:00 GMT

LENS NEWS SIGMA
Share:
Print view Email

Pre-CES: Sigma has announced the APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM, an image stabilized telephoto macro lens. The company claim it is the first 180mm macro to combine 1:1 reproduction with an F2.8 maximum aperture. It offers a closest focusing distance of 47cm (18.5 inches) and includes the company's optical stabilization and 'FLD' fluorite-like glass elements. An internal focus design and ring-type HSM focus motor allow full-time manual focus override. Pricing and availability will be announced later.

Press Release:

Sigma Corporation of America announces world’s first 1:1 180mm F2.8 macro lens

New fast and stabilized lens announced at Consumer Electronics Show 2012

RONKONKOMA, NY and LAS VEGAS, NV Jan. 9, 2012 – Sigma Corporation, a leading researcher, developer, manufacturer and service provider of some of the world's most impressive lines of lenses, cameras and flashes, is pleased to announce the Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM, the world’s first 180mm macro lens that offers a magnification ratio of 1:1 and a large maximum aperture of F2.8.

As the successor to Sigma’s earlier 180mm F3.5 EX DG macro lens, the new APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens now boasts the company’s proprietary Optical Stabilizer (OS) technology and a wide F2.8 aperture to allow faster shutter speeds for narrow depth of field. With the OS feature, this lens offers the use of shutter speeds approximately four stops slower than would otherwise be possible, enabling handheld close-up photography. Three “F” Low Dispersion (FLD) glass elements, which have a performance equal to fluorite glass, are included to provide correction for color aberrations, and an inner focusing system minimizes aberrations that occur as shooting distances change.

“Our first 180mm macro was very popular with macro photographers and we’re certain that discerning photographers will be very impressed with its new technical and performance upgrades. The Optical Stabilizer technology and faster maximum aperture will make it even easier for users to capture the close-up, intricate details in the tiny world around them,” said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “We’ve released some really incredible products in the past year – there’s truly something in our lineup for every type and level of photographer.”

Equipped with the Super Multi-Layer Coating feature, the APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens reduces flare and ghosting and delivers sharp and high contrast images, even at the maximum aperture. The incorporation of Sigma’s Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensures quiet and high-speed autofocus, as well as full-time manual focus capability. The macro lens has a rounded nine-blade diaphragm to create an attractive blur to the image’s out-of-focus areas. At 1:1 magnification, this lens has a focusing distance of 18.5 inches, which is a greater working distance than shorter focal length macro lenses, making it advantageous when taking pictures of highly sensitive subjects like butterflies.

The announcement was made at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2012 in Las Vegas, NV, where Sigma Corporation is exhibiting this week in the Las Vegas Convention Center’s Central Hall at booth 8960. The company also announced the launch of a new product line and two new lenses that are specifically designed for use with Micro Four Thirds and E-mount mirrorless interchangeable lens camera systems. The pricing and availability of all of these new lenses are pending.

To locate an authorized Sigma dealer near you, visit Where to Buy Sigma Lenses, Cameras, Flashes and Accessories. To use Sigma’s new Lens Finder Tool to find the best glass to suit your needs, visit Lens Finder - SigmaPhoto.com. For information about Sigma Corporation of America, visit Sigma Corporation of America - Digital camera lenses, Digital Cameras, Electronic Flashes, Camera Accessories, or follow the company on Twitter and Facebook
12-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I have one, and it is amazing. But heavy.
Not sure about the new version, will it come in PK after all?
I wonder how OS works. It should be in all directions, especially front-back.

Seb.
12-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

From what I have read about the new Sigma 180 is that it will not be available in Pentax mount.

12-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi tabl10s,

I was able to buy one of these just after they were discontinued. It's an excellent lens, but probably just a bit shy of the legendary status of the A* 200 f4 Macro and the FA* 200 f4 macros from Pentax from samples I've seen. Of course, the market price was considerably less, and for me, the difference in optics was not necessarily worth the differential in price and the effort to locate one of these rare lenses offered for sale. The Sigma 180 is definitely sharp, but the really outstanding quality for me is almost a total lack of CA/PF with this lens. I shoot macros with flash, and this can sometimes produce very high contrast highlights. The Sigma 180 f3.5 controls color aberrations better than any of my other lenses -- and I've got some very good ones.

Most commonly, I use this lens with the Pentax F 1.7x Auto Focusing Adapter. This gives me 306mm f6, and at the macro end I can get close to 1.9:1 magnification. I like this because with one lens I can shoot ultra tele for birds and other wildlife, and high magnification macro, and go back and forth between these almost seamlessly. The AFA also allows me to use AF for macro since it drastically limits AF focusing range to a few mm at macro distances. The extra 1.9x magnification also lets me shoot at longer working distance to give me deeper DOF for a given aperture and less subject intimidation. Probably not the most common way to use a long macro, but it works for me. . .

Here's an example -- I was shooting the crab spider who was shooting webs, then heard some rustling behind me. I turned around to spy the mama squirrel watching me about 15 feet away, and all I had to do to get the shot was flip down my pop up flash (I use a Metz 15 MS 1 wireless remote TTL with the pop up flash as the controller), prefocus the lens to a tele focusing distance while dialing back the aperture, and let the 1.7x AFA auto focus to get the shot. I then popped up the flash, stopped down the lens, prefocused to MFD, and went back to shooting macros.

Scott
12-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All Sigma's prime macros from 70mm up appear to be very high in resolution.