Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which lens for shooting at night?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been looking around for the "right" lens to use for night shooting but having trouble figuring out which is best for the average person (i.e. non-pro). I don't have a lot to spend so I'm not looking for something top-drawer, just an all 'round good lense to use for taking shots in low- to no-light condtions.

I have a Pentax K110D (which I'm enjoying so far) with the 18-55mm kit lense, but I think I need better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

FYI, I'd prefer to stay with an OEM lens (Pentax).

01-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Night shooting of what subject?

Any night shooting generally requires a tripod, therefore you don't necessarily need to shoot at f2.8 or f4.
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cavan Quote
I've been looking around for the "right" lens to use for night shooting but having trouble figuring out which is best for the average person (i.e. non-pro). I don't have a lot to spend so I'm not looking for something top-drawer, just an all 'round good lense to use for taking shots in low- to no-light condtions.

I have a Pentax K110D (which I'm enjoying so far) with the 18-55mm kit lense, but I think I need better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

FYI, I'd prefer to stay with an OEM lens (Pentax).
I guess the obvious suggestion would be the Pentax FA 50 1:1.4. I love the Pentax 77 ltd, but that is a pricey piece of glass. What focal length suits your fancy for low light shooting?
01-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Night shooting of what subject?
Nothing specific in mind, just something I can use to shoot outdoors at nighttime, i.e. people (include my dogs in that one), nature, sky, etc.

P.S. With my neurological disorder, using a tripod or monopod is a necessity, so I've already got that bit covered.

01-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

yep..something that can do f/2 or lower...(the Pentax 50 f/1.4 is low in price and a good lens....BUT hard to find)

tho..u can still only go so low even w/ a fast lens....w/ motion blurs w/ moving subjects will be your most common problem...
but as far as landscape or what not....tripod is a must and seeing as you have a 110d the lack of SR kinda hurts you....
01-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a Sigma 18-50 that is a constant f2.8. Pretty decent quality, but fairly heavy due to the extra glass. It covers moderate wide angle to short telephoto. Goes for about $375.

The Pentax 16-45 is a bit slower at f4, but for another 4 days can be had for $300.
01-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA 35mm F2 is a good choice as well

See Joel's review and fireworks photo here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-equipment-reviews/1956-smc-pentax-...m-f2-0-al.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The FA 35mm F2 is a good choice as well

See Joel's review and fireworks photo here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-equipment-reviews/1956-smc-pentax-...m-f2-0-al.html

oh yeah forgot about that..(also another lens thats sold out all over...)

I also recently bought a 28mm f/1.8 Sigma DG EX. got some good shots w/ it, before i sent it out (warranty repair..faulty contacts..thinking was stored improperly @ b and H ) can be had for under 300 USD, but it is fairly large for a prime...
01-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I prefer the FA35mm f2

I find the 50mm a bit tight, except for portraits its good for that..
01-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
I decided to look at some of the Sigma lenses and found this:

24-135mm F2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF

Will this work for shooting at night or no?
01-05-2007, 02:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Fa 31 ltd is great too!

This lens is fun. I guess all pentax lenses could produce that kind of colour at night.
01-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

f/2.8 is still too slow for you to be hand holding anything...
it's faster than the norm...

your better off getting a prime (any one we listed are probably as good as ur gonna get w/ lowlight and not use a tripod)
01-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
Jon and everyone else,

As I mentioned earlier, I have a neurological disorder (see Essential tremors) so using a tripod or monopod is a necessity for me (in most cases) when taking photographs, be they at night or otherwise.

So, for general usage, is f2.8 not fast enough for someone like me? I don't plan on doing a huge amount of low- or no-light shooting but I'd like to find something that will allow me to take shots akin to Joel's fantastic fireworks shots posted here (although mine will undoubtedly be far less striking).

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

P.S. The Lens Fact Sheets page is a great reference tool!

Last edited by Cavan; 01-05-2007 at 06:40 AM.
01-05-2007, 06:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I did not know bout the disorder (damn..I just looked back, and I must've missed it..apologies)

2.8 is good, but..I was just under the impression that you wanted something to use to w/o a tripod...
w/ a tripod....then most everything else will really work...

again my apologies for missing that one tidbit of info...

and I do have to thank you.....I think i may get that lens you posted up...
would make a good all in one walk around...
01-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
...again my apologies for missing that one tidbit of info...

and I do have to thank you.....I think i may get that lens you posted up...
would make a good all in one walk around...
Jon,

No need for apologies, but thank you.

I agree with you on that Sigma lens...I think I may get it anyway. FYI, I found it as a "buy it now" item on eBay here and here.