Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax DA* weather sealing. How good is it?

I have a K10D, and if I were to purchase a 16-50mm or 50-135mm, how safe would my camera be in the rain? Is there a rubber seal or gasket in the lens mount to keep the water out of the camera body?

02-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeedub Quote
I have a K10D, and if I were to purchase a 16-50mm or 50-135mm, how safe would my camera be in the rain? Is there a rubber seal or gasket in the lens mount to keep the water out of the camera body?
The mount on the DA* 16-50 is the same as all other KAF2 mounts. It has no rubber seal, andn on visual inspection looks just like all the other mounts.
02-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

Huh?, The 16-50mm has a rubber O ring at the outer edge of the mount. I just inspected my lens.

It also has O rings inside of the body in areas hidden under the focusing ring and zoom ring.
02-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drivel Quote
Huh?, The 16-50mm has a rubber O ring at the outer edge of the mount. I just inspected my lens.

It also has O rings inside of the body in areas hidden under the focusing ring and zoom ring.
I'll stand corrected. I looked right at it and didn't see it.

02-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've used the 16-50 in rain and snow without any problems. I keep a cloth handy to wipe the lens-barrels down every once in a while - but that's just my own paranoia. Nothing's ever gotten between the lens and camera body and I've been out in some real cr@p weather this winter.
02-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

has pentax ever made an official statement where they list the pressures water (or other contaminants) would have to be at in order to penetrate the seals?
02-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No issues using Da* 16-50 in the rain. In heavy rain in effect that my body was soaked wet and the lens was dripping water like a water tap.

Now I wish the UV filter at the lens front element could be waterproof that I could snap photos without droplets on the filter! (I heard Merumi already produces the latest fiter that is totally "water non-stick" surface)

02-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
No issues using Da* 16-50 in the rain. In heavy rain in effect that my body was soaked wet and the lens was dripping water like a water tap.

Now I wish the UV filter at the lens front element could be waterproof that I could snap photos without droplets on the filter! (I heard Merumi already produces the latest fiter that is totally "water non-stick" surface)
Is really easy to waterproof the filters and all reading this take it to heart and practice. Go to your local hardware store pick up a roll of Teflon plumbers tape. "Carefully" wrap the tape off along the exterior edge of the filter thread. Note: you will never have an "overtightened" filter ever again using this method. Rub the excess tape of using your thumb on the exterior. Then , (I know I will get a bit of back hash on this one step) apply a very light amount of "Rainex " which sheds any moisture away from the filter glass and for some reason provides a seal at the glass frame.

I learned this from an old timer who knew his leval best at photography.

Last edited by WendyB; 02-18-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Dyslexic fingers
02-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeedub, I've shot my DA*50-135mm in light rain, and in snow and below freezing conditions, with no ill effects from direct water contact or condensation (in the snow lodge). The sealing on both the lens and on my K10D appear to do everything Pentax claims. No complaints!