Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Tamron 17-50 help

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Guys,

I really want to get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens and have just come across this one on eBay - Tamron SP A16 17-50mm f/2.8 Lens SPARES AND REPAIRS 4960371004730 | eBay.

It has been listed as spares or repairs simply because it has some dust in there. Is it worth taking a punt on it for the money? it doesn't seem like the dust would cause too much of an issue, seems to be no fungus and blades working fine.

Cheers

Alex

12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #2

Original Poster
Also I was thinking surely the dust wouldn't even show up in photos? only shows up if it's on the sensor right?
12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's only dust I'd say go for it. My Tamron has a big blob of dust inside the rear element, it's only (very faintly) visible if I photograph an all-white surface at very small apertures. In normal pictures you can't see anything.

However I would ask him to verify it's only dust. The guy's email address is a @stores.cashgenerator.co.uk one, which means he works at a pawn shop and probably has at least some experience with cameras.
12-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
If it's only dust I'd say go for it. My Tamron has a big blob of dust inside the rear element, it's only (very faintly) visible if I photograph an all-white surface at very small apertures. In normal pictures you can't see anything.

However I would ask him to verify it's only dust. The guy's email address is a @stores.cashgenerator.co.uk one, which means he works at a pawn shop and probably has at least some experience with cameras.
Ok I've spoken to the guy and its just dust, otherwise the lens is in good condition with no scratches etc.

Seriously thinking about getting this, see more photos here - Mobile Photobucket

What do you think???!

12-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If he's said it's only dust and everything else is good then you might as well risk it. I would. It's a well-known UK business after all, returning it for a misleading description should be pretty simple.
12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
If he's said it's only dust and everything else is good then you might as well risk it. I would. It's a well-known UK business after all, returning it for a misleading description should be pretty simple.
Well the lens turned up today and it turns out the guy advertised it wrong, it's a Canon mount and not Pentax!!

So peeved off, guess there's no adapter I can use? And not one that would keep the AF and connections anyway.

Cheers
12-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I say return it and tell him it's in the wrong mount. If he refuses, then it's time to file a dispute assuming you paid with PayPal. Trust me, it's not worth it. If there is a adapter, it's likely to not have AF contacts to allow you to AF.

12-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yeah that's what I'm going to do, paid with Paypal so should be no issues.

I'm telling them I want my postage both ways refunded too.

Looking at another on eBay now, this time deffo Pentax mount but more expensive at £215.

Cheers