Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you buy the 'K' version from KEH? If so I'd like your opinion of condition when you receive it.

Regards, JK

02-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Did you buy the 'K' version from KEH? If so I'd like your opinion of condition when you receive it.

Regards, JK
I got the A 50 1.2 from Matsuiyatso -- shipping from Japan to Boston was two business days! Having also used the M 50 1.4, I have to say I don't think semi-automatic green button stop down metering is all that bad.
02-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Interesting; I was just about to spring for that when one came up in NY for $350 so I grabbed that and am now comparing it with my 'K' version. So far I can't tell any difference in IQ and the 'A' is marginally easier to use on my K100. Great lenses, both!
02-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #19
Not Registered

I have a lens in my hands that says that Olympus also make f0.8...it is from a microscope thought

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
no, pentax made only one f1.2 lens for pentax, far as i know

canon and nikon have access to a greater selection of fast lenses, 1.2 included... and even 0.95...

02-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Regards, JK
I bought a "K" SMC 50mm f1.2 from KEH a few weeks ago rated as EX+. I had a copy of this lens for many years and sold it a couple of years ago. I decided to put back together my film SLR outfit based on my LX and wanted this lens in the K mount as this was the original kit lens for this camera.

The copy from KEH is a better sample than the one I sold. It works fine and image quality is terrible at f1.2 (as expected), pretty good at f2, and excellent by f5.6. Cosmetically, the exterior is virtually perfect. It included a Pentax rear cap (the "A" version with the flange to over the contacts, not the original "K" version) and an after-market front cap made of metal and flock lined that is similar in style to the old Asahi Pentax caps for screw-mount and some older lenses. The only defect is a few marks on the aperture blades; probably from some oil seepage when the lens was exposed to heat. But I the aperture is working perfectly and I don't think it will be a problem. So EX+ is a proper rating for this lens.
02-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks, I was curious about their rating accuracy.......I've never bought a lens from them.
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks, I was curious about their rating accuracy.......I've never bought a lens from them.
I've bought a number of items from them. The "EX+" items are always very nice with usually just one or two very minor defects. I'm pretty fussy about little details, but I've been happy with the EX+ items. I've also bought a few EX- items and they do show some wear, but not too bad. Everything I've bought used from them has been accurately rated. (I've also bought some new items and they were perfect, but of course they don't carry any new Pentax gear. Their prices on new gear is very competative with the big NYC discount retailers like B&H and Adorama.)

I've had good experience with KEH and I can recommend them. Sometimes they are slow to respond to e-mails, but they are always very helpful and friendly on the phone. I never had to return something, but I'm sure that if an item was mis-rated or you simply don't like it, you would have no problem returning it within the 14 day return period. They also have a 60 day warranty on used equipment. Like all discount mail-order retailers, you should expect to pay return shipping on any return.
02-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #23

Original Poster
Ok, I'm now able to post a sample of this lens. Here it is, wide open. It is a hard lens to use for sure, but f1.2 is useable. I will have to look into a focusing screen as focusing is significantly more diffcult than on my Pentax-M 50 1.4.

Last edited by twinda1; 02-25-2008 at 05:05 AM.