Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax DA21 vs Sigma 18, round two, GoForBroke! (lots of images)

i had taken the sigma to a party and stopped using it half way through and replaced it with my zenitar fisheye, the results were simply horrendous, or maybe i just kept getting the focus wrong.

I ended up taking the damn thing apart and cleaned as many glass elements as i could, the aperture blade mechanism is ridiculously lo-tek, i was surprised, this is both a cost savings and an area for dust collection, i was not able to get really deep in there because the stupid thing is somehow SURGECALLY F*S#ING ATTACHED WITH TITANIUM BONDS...

so, its clean now.. atleast as clean i could get it, and it still works, this is the 3rd lens ive operated on, so i'm kind of proud of myself, maybe i should go to medschool...

anyway, i am not ready to give up on this lens, considering i might need to pick up a film SLR for school for the next 4 years, this would be a wonderful lens to use out in the field.

this time i picked a colourfull flat wall and tried my best to position the camera parallel to it, i focused on the wall, and maintained identical exposure for both lenses, i applied auto-white balance in camera, and then "auto'ed" in Lightroom.

converted to 100% quality jpegs from lightroom, no other tweaks or filters.

SIGMA F2.8

SIGMA F3.2

PENTAX F3.2

SIGMA 5.6

PENTAX 5.6

SIMGA 8.0

PENTAX 8.0

now for some crops:

SIGMA 3.2 VS PENTAX 3.2

SIGMA 5.6 VS PENTAX 5.6

SIGMA 8.0 VS PENTAX 8.0

02-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
AND FINALY,

super super crop of SIGMA vs PENTAX at 5.6

this is all the way in the corner/side of the lens, to see how much of the sharpness the lenses lose, since in my previous tests it showed that the center perfromance of both lenses could not be distinguished.

02-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
uhhh ohh, no comments, is the Sigma catching up?

tune in some time next week when i do sunny outdoor shots, buahahahah