Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #466
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trumanusa Quote
Also my MODSET.459 file has below contents

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

hope it is correct.
I'm not sure about the k100d MODSET file but for the K-x, a carriage return is a must after the last line (i.e. hit enter after [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]) then save the file. Worth a shot if you haven't already.

02-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trumanusa Quote
Thanks all for quick response. i did enable "show file extension" and i see that MODSET does have .459 extension.

@wibbly i also tried switcing on the camera by holding Meu button and keeping the SD card door open. Here , the camera does not show anything on the scree. it is just black screen.

Also my MODSET.459 file has below contents

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

hope it is correct.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/154773-k100d-sup...af-adjust.html

There is some confusion apparently about the details. Read in this thread and follow the link to the K200D info. Remember the file name stays as you have it.

---------- Post added 02-23-15 at 10:48 AM ----------

Mine works. My MODSET.459 file was created as per the thread I linked. I made sure to hit ENTER at the end of the second line. I also ensured that when I saved it I did so as "all files" rather than text and that it was the only file on the SD card.

When it started up, the camera looked blank and seemed to have not done anything. Hitting the shutter to wake it up and then using MENU as described in the thread linked got me to the right place - I think. I haven't done anything with it yet. My plan is to back up my SDM enabled lens files before anything can go wrong.

---------- Post added 02-23-15 at 11:04 AM ----------

Well... I spoke too soon. I can get to the AF Adjust menu on my K100D Super but I can't figure out how to get the menu that includes things like getting the lens file. I may be misunderstanding things. Is the [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] command supposed to open a menu? It doesn't seem to do much of anything for me. I have tried with it in a file by itself even as the earliest instructions suggested but nothing. I can move over to TOOLS in my menus and if I press UP I see the AF TEST, CAPTURE TEST, and SYSTEM Test that indicate I'm in debug mode.

What am I missing?

Last edited by UncleVanya; 02-23-2015 at 08:48 AM.
02-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's what I have tried:

Created my modeset.459 file and in it had the following cmds:

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MODE]

Started the camera a half a dozen ways. The only result is that DEBUG mode is on - I see the hidden AF TEST etc. But no "DEBUG" menu shows up.

I tried the following also:

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[SCRIPT_DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MODE]

I also tried lines 1 and 3 as the only thing in the file one after the other. No dice. I then used:

[DEBUG_MODE DIS]
and it worked to disable Debug mode.

Very frustrated.
02-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh my, I just had a local PF member convert my failing 50-135 to screw drive and it is a totally different animal!

AF is super fast and really not that loud at all compared to my other screw drive lenses.
I think the heavy construction and weather sealing controls any screw noise well.

I am looking forward to using it at the next indoor dance competition.

It was starting to take a while to AF right away so I figured the SDM was going to fail soon.
I was worried about going through the learning curve of the programming and then having to buy an old body to do it.
At our recent meetup user Ruben @roob-n-boots showed me his converted 16-50 and 50-135 and I liked how they worked so I asked him to do my 50-135.

He is considering offering the conversion as a service so if anyone is interested send him a PM.
Note he would only do the conversion for you, any problems with the lens will not be addressed only changing SDM to screw drive.
My converted lens still required a +2 micro adjustment on my bodies.

02-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which body was this covered with?
02-28-2015, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #471
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Which body was this covered with?
I think he said he used a K100d.
03-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #472

K100D Super - Instructions, tested as working this weekend, to enter Debug Mode.

1. Create a file named modset.459 containing the following commands, and put it on the root directory (not in any folder) of an SD card:

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MODE]

2. With the battery door open, and whilst holding down the AE-L and INFO buttons, turn the camera on.

3. Let go of AE-L and INFO straightaway the camera powers up, and then immediately press MENU, MENU, INFO in quick succession.

If you are successful, you should see a menu consisting of entries in white block capitals on a black background. The first menu item is DEBUG MODE. You have to be pretty quick with the button presses, so if it doesn't work, switch off and try steps 2 and 3 again.

These are pretty much the same instructions as for a K100D non-super, but the non-super does not require a modset.459 file on the SD card.

Last edited by kilburn; 03-03-2015 at 12:52 PM.
03-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #473
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm having zero luck. My file contents are:

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MODE]

And I have named this file MODESET.459 and placed it in the root of my 1GB SD card. Nothing seems to happen, and the AF Test debug never even shows up let alone the full DEBUG menu.

Would you double check that this works, maybe make a short video of it and send me your file? I'm so confused as to why this doesn't work for me.

EDIT:

Here's what happens for me.
I put the file on the card. Put card in camera. Leave door open.
Turn power on while holding AE-L and INFO; screen on top and on back eventually flash. This happens if I hold these buttons or release them.
Once the flash happens I press MENU, MENU, INFO and nothing. Nada. Zip. Same happens if I don't wait for the flash on the screen.
Until I close battery door and turn on the camera that way - screen stays blank.
If I do boot with door closed - nothing different.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-03-2015 at 12:34 PM.
03-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #474

Just to check, because I have mistyped it once too, you are naming the file modset.459, and not modeset.459, right?
03-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #475
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm having zero luck. My file contents are:

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MODE]
Step by step, how did you make this file, UV?
03-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #476
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Step by step, how did you make this file, UV?
Sure - I have tried two different ways with the same results.

1st: I used a windows 7 (64 bit) laptop with an SD card slot. I used Notepad++ and typed the lines in as shown on different lines and included a CR/LF line (blank line) as the last line of the file. Saved the file using "any file" option with the MODESET.459 name to the SD card directly.

2nd: I used my Chromebook when that didn't work and used a program called CARET that allows editing of arbitrary files, created the same file structure - no differences found in results.

NOTE: One of the times I created the file in CARET, when I viewed this on Windows the CR/LF between the two commands was missing. I edited this on Notepad++ and fixed it; since then even new files created haven't shown this problem I have no idea how this went wrong ever.

I'm willing to have a file sent to me (simple as it is) and copy it to my SD card just to be SURE there is nothing wrong. I'm assuming the SD card size is not an issue, but I could try another card if needed.

I'm willing to use COPY CON and then write that file that way if needed.
03-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #477
Veteran Member

Its MODSET, not MODESET
03-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #478
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
Its MODSET, not MODESET
LOL

Let me go fix that and try again. I was on another website that had MODESET as the filename - I double checked I swear. I thought I had made a mistake and called it MODSET when it was MODESET.... Yikes.

OK.. checking - back soon.
Thank you btw!

EDIT: That helped.
I got to a menu that says:

DEBUG MODE <EN>
Carddoor open <DIS>
write CF vndr <DIS>
SCRIPT EN MODE <EN>
USR DAT CLEAR
SWITCH TEST
RELEASE AGING
LENS COM CHECK
EXIT

EDIT AGAIN:

Not seeing this info:
QuoteQuote:
If everything OK, it will show you all options avaible on Debug mode :
Beware to not change a thing you do not need ( once again, all this are made at your own risk)

Use the pad to go to the line
LENS EEPROM SAVE

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-03-2015 at 03:09 PM.
03-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #479
Veteran Member

Can you scroll down further? There are a lot of things in the menu

If not, try selecting the debug line and pressing OK. Then rebooting the camera the way you did to get that page
03-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #480
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
Can you scroll down further? There are a lot of things in the menu

If not, try selecting the debug line and pressing OK. Then rebooting the camera the way you did to get that page
No, just one page. Debug shows EN if you press OK the camera starts up the shake for dust removal and goes to normal menu.

I will add pics as soon as I move them over from my phone.