Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #481
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pictures:

The "EXIT" is all there is. Nothing below.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
03-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #482
Veteran Member

And the card door is open? It shouldn't boot normally with the door open
03-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #483
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
And the card door is open? It shouldn't boot normally with the door open
Yes. It does not boot other than to the screens above. It will go past when I press ok on the debug item. But if the door is open the screen goes blank. Sorry for the confusion.
03-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #484
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any other ideas?

03-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #485
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Any other ideas?
Yep, try another camera body if you've reached a dead end with that one.
03-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #486
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
LOL

Thanks. I was under the impression that someone had used this body successfully. That appears false. All I really want to do is make backups of my files at this point - no need to convert - just precaution.
03-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Ah - but if only I had not given up I'd be about $100 richer. I bought a K100D and found even when I got into debug mode I was unable to get the lens rom file. Why? Because no one mentioned that you have to press MENU after you see the debug screen that I posted. Once you do that - the magic happens. Sigh. I will be compiling this info. Thanks to those who went before. Eventually I will have something worth publishing and then we can try to update it as we learn from additional successes. BTW I have not done any conversions - just backed up a file. I assume the rest of the process is easy once you have established the ability to talk to the lens.

---------- Post added 03-11-15 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kilburn Quote
K100D Super - Instructions, tested as working this weekend, to enter Debug Mode.

1. Create a file named modeset.459 containing the following commands, and put it on the root directory (not in any folder) of an SD card:

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MODE]

2. With the battery door open, and whilst holding down the AE-L and INFO buttons, turn the camera on.

3. Let go of AE-L and INFO straightaway the camera powers up, and then immediately press MENU, MENU, INFO in quick succession.

If you are successful, you should see a menu consisting of entries in white block capitals on a black background. The first menu item is DEBUG MODE. You have to be pretty quick with the button presses, so if it doesn't work, switch off and try steps 2 and 3 again.

These are pretty much the same instructions as for a K100D non-super, but the non-super does not require a modset.459 file on the SD card.
Crucial missing info. When you reach that debug screen you have to hit "MENU" once to get to the menu screen with the lens rom commands.

Sigh... if only I knew before buying a K100D.

03-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #488

Does anyone has a good new on de-activate SDM on DA*60-250?
My DA*60-250 SDM was fail and i try to change lens firmware with above method (change C0 to 80) by no luck it didn't work.
04-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #489

Whoever invented this workaround is a genius and big thanks to you!

I have a 16-50 and it worked all fine until one day wife was in a hurry and bumped the len against the table and broke the mounting. I was able to fix that (to a certain extent) but the len starts to behave abnormally, e.g., would not focus in infinity. Apparently we made less use of the len, after it had been sitting there for a few month, it stopped focusing completely and became a expensive paperweight (I am ok with manual focusing occasionally but never really enjoy that). I saw people started a petition ask Pentax to add a function in firmware to disable SDM, which I signed but really did not have much hope. Now this solution is even better!

I have an old K100D laying around (I was thinking of selling that but it may not worth much so eventually give up the idea). I entered the Lens eeprom r/w manual as directed, first tried the in-camera editor but it was very tedious and kept locking up (basically on every address). So I saved to file and opened in PC (it is a text file, to much of my surprise), carefully replaced all the data, and load back to the Len. It did show an error but very brief so I am not sure what it was (I was suspecting that it is a checksum error) but man, it really works! I put it back to the K-5 and tried focus to different distance on both end, zero problem! it never worked so great ...

Again, big thanks to whoever invented the brilliant workaround and those who spread the words!
04-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #490
Veteran Member

I recently converted my 50-135 for a dead SDM but initially I accidentally changed in the file the CO to C8 (instead of C0 to 80) and my SDM came alive and worked well. Not sure if it was coincidence in that I "woke up" the SDM or something else. Seems strange that changing that value didn't impact the lens in a negative manner. I ultimately corrected the file and switched to screwdrive for the reliability, but may switch back at a later time to test it out. Just wanted to put it out there if anyone else wanted to try it and see if there SDM came back to life. I'm guessing it's a fluke but wanted to share my experience in case it did help. It was strange, it briefly started focusing slow, then got right up to speed and didn't look back. The fact that it "woke up" may be a sign of a failing SDM, just to keep that in mind as well.
04-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
I recently converted my 50-135 for a dead SDM but initially I accidentally changed in the file the CO to C8 (instead of C0 to 80) and my SDM came alive and worked well. Not sure if it was coincidence in that I "woke up" the SDM or something else. Seems strange that changing that value didn't impact the lens in a negative manner. I ultimately corrected the file and switched to screwdrive for the reliability, but may switch back at a later time to test it out. Just wanted to put it out there if anyone else wanted to try it and see if there SDM came back to life. I'm guessing it's a fluke but wanted to share my experience in case it did help. It was strange, it briefly started focusing slow, then got right up to speed and didn't look back. The fact that it "woke up" may be a sign of a failing SDM, just to keep that in mind as well.
My 50-135 was purchased with non-working SDM and simply exercising the focus ring for a few minutes rapidly woke it up. It hasn't ever given me any trouble since.
04-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #492

Honestly I would not trust the reliability of the SDM even it seems to be working fine. When I switched to screwdriver I know it worked and it will work forever. If a "revived" SDM lens ever goes died when I am shooting outside with my K-5, I am out of luck.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My 50-135 was purchased with non-working SDM and simply exercising the focus ring for a few minutes rapidly woke it up. It hasn't ever given me any trouble since.
04-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by coldfire Quote
Honestly I would not trust the reliability of the SDM even it seems to be working fine. When I switched to screwdriver I know it worked and it will work forever. If a "revived" SDM lens ever goes died when I am shooting outside with my K-5, I am out of luck.
Your needs may be different from mine. I am not unwilling to take the risk. But I am not earning money this way and I will simply manually focus if I have a field breakdown.
05-07-2015, 01:17 AM   #494

Hi Clover,

Thanks for a very useful tip. I would never have guessed there is software in the *lens* which I could modify. Since I am better with computers than with tiny screws, this was the right best (and most durable) solution. The lens is working brilliantly now, thanks again.
05-07-2015, 03:06 AM   #495
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I woudl seriously consider getting SDM lens repaired rather than converted.

Screw performance is compromised, But don't take my word for it

Screw AF 50 135
SDM 50-135