Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #676
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like uncle says, edit the file with a program called notepad+++ it's fast and easy.

Randy

12-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #677

Thanks, Randy, I'll give it a try. I did try out-of-camera edits before but couldn't make them work on my Mac (the only computer I have). But I'll give it another shot.
12-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Katcher Quote
Thanks, Randy, I'll give it a try. I did try out-of-camera edits before but couldn't make them work on my Mac (the only computer I have). But I'll give it another shot.
Try using a trial version of BBEdit to make the edits, rather than the built-in editor.
12-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #679
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I did make the changes in camera. I used a K10, version 1.1.0.. Worked perfectly to deactivate my 16-50.

(Oops. Just realized that I gave some incorrect info: The last address that I was able to change was 03E3 (the 16th address on the list). When I tried to change the "3" in the second column to a "4" to get to the 17th address (0423), it instead went back to "0". It appears that 03xx is the highest address that I can get to directly.)
Mike - if you have the K10d can you read the file to an SD card and write it back to the lens using an external editor? That's how I do it on the K100d:

I'm not certain how you get into debug but once you are there you would:

3: You now enter the debug mode
4: Press MENU once
5. (n/a)
6: Select LENS EEPROM R/W and PRESS OK
7: Select LENS EEPROM STORE
8: Camera will say, "WAIT" and then returns to step 3.
9: Power down check SD card to ensure a file called LENSEEP.LNS file was written.
10: MAKE A BACKUP before going to step 11.
11: Use an editor to make the changes listed in the forum threads to convert to screwdrive.
12: Back to Step 1 until you reach STEP 7. Then...
13: Select LENS EEPROM R/W
14: Select LENS EEPROM LOAD

5 was omitted on purpose as it pertains to my process not the general process.

I recommend Notepad++ as the editor.

12-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

I recommend Notepad++ as the editor.
Good instructions, but Mike just said he only has a Mac.
12-15-2016, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #681
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Doh! Missed it.

Not sure which editor to use but pick one that doesn't alter the file - simple text in text out. If worse comes to worse if Mike gets the file and wants to send it to me I can edit it and send it back. He will still need to write it to the SD card and put in the camera and write to the lens. That's the only solution I have that doesn't involve shipping that lens to me for conversion. I just don't know the details of the K10d enough to help troubleshoot why it is acting up.
12-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #682
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Doh! Missed it.

Not sure which editor to use but pick one that doesn't alter the file - simple text in text out. If worse comes to worse if Mike gets the file and wants to send it to me I can edit it and send it back. He will still need to write it to the SD card and put in the camera and write to the lens. That's the only solution I have that doesn't involve shipping that lens to me for conversion. I just don't know the details of the K10d enough to help troubleshoot why it is acting up.
That's why I recommended BBEdit (but probably the trial for his needs). I've converted the DA*16-50 and the 50-135 using a Mac with the editor.

12-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #683
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
You have to be careful which editor you pick. Most simple editor saves as a .txt file which is something you don't want to do

Randy
12-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #684
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
You have to be careful which editor you pick. Most simple editor saves as a .txt file which is something you don't want to do

Randy
As long as you rename it back and it hasn't changed the content it will not matter - but that's true. The correct file is LENSEEP.LNS not LENSEEP.LNS.TXT etc.
12-15-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote

Randy
That's why I'm recommending the editor I'm recommending. It's made for software developers, unlike the built-in TextEdit, so we're avoiding that exact problem.
12-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #686

Thanks for all your help everybody. I'll probably try another approach over the weekend, though I was hoping to make all the changes in camera where I can make them 1 by 1 and go back and correct 1 by 1 if necessary. Interestingly, after I made the changes to the first 16 addresses, tried the "half modified" lens on my K5, found that it didn't auto focus at all and then returned the first 16 addresses to their original settings, I found that the lens actually worked better than it did when I started tinkering with it. Hmmm. Not sure what any of that means.
12-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #687
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all your help everybody. I'll probably try another approach over the weekend, though I was hoping to make all the changes in camera where I can make them 1 by 1 and go back and correct 1 by 1 if necessary. Interestingly, after I made the changes to the first 16 addresses, tried the "half modified" lens on my K5, found that it didn't auto focus at all and then returned the first 16 addresses to their original settings, I found that the lens actually worked better than it did when I started tinkering with it. Hmmm. Not sure what any of that means.
Me either. Just send me a message if you need my email - I'm happy to edit the file and return it to you.
12-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #688
Veteran Member

I wasn't able to get the file out of my 16-50 using my K100d when I tried a while ago. I made all the changes manually, restarting the camera for every change I think as well. I did not operate the lens until the code change was completed.
12-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #689
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
I wasn't able to get the file out of my 16-50 using my K100d when I tried a while ago. I made all the changes manually, restarting the camera for every change I think as well. I did not operate the lens until the code change was completed.
Do you recall why you weren't able to get the file? I use the k100d for that all the time.
12-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #690
Veteran Member

No idea to be honest. It just didn't work for me as far as I remember. I'll be trying again with a 50-135 I've bought recently. I'll test out both SDM and Screwdrive functions with it as it has a sluggish motor. Nice and cheap tho!