Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2019, 11:16 PM   #826
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. Wrong file. Have LENSEEP.LNS now. Fingers crossed....

08-31-2019, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #827
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens HACKED!
I am the Napster
11-22-2019, 04:26 AM   #828
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As recently I have suspected something to be wrong with my DA* 300mm F4, I decided to try this hack.
The issue I was having was I could not get a focus lock on the lens from the close end of the focus, but could from the long end.
The lens motor was not making any unusual noise and seemed to behave as always.
I of course tried fine tuning the lens first, but even at a AF fine tune the long " far : end would lock even at +10 or - 10 and all points between.
However the short " near " end would lock focus only 30-40% of the time regardless of AF point chosen in fine tune.
This all was done on my K-3.
I installed the lens on the K-5 which I also own and did the procedure to turn off the SDM.
It worked like a charm.
I then put the lens back on the K-3, and it locked almost every time from both near and far focus areas, even in low light at F4.
So this leaves me to wonder, what could be wrong with the lens if it focuses great with the SDM disabled
and does not with it enabled.
Keep in mind the near side of the lens was the issue.
Any ideas ?
Sorry if this does not seem clear.
The near end being zero - 0 and the far end infinity as a starting point .
Would there be a change in the scripting of the LNS file that could correct the lens ?

Thanks
11-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #829
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
As recently I have suspected something to be wrong with my DA* 300mm F4, I decided to try this hack.
The issue I was having was I could not get a focus lock on the lens from the close end of the focus, but could from the long end.
The lens motor was not making any unusual noise and seemed to behave as always.
I of course tried fine tuning the lens first, but even at a AF fine tune the long " far : end would lock even at +10 or - 10 and all points between.
However the short " near " end would lock focus only 30-40% of the time regardless of AF point chosen in fine tune.
This all was done on my K-3.
I installed the lens on the K-5 which I also own and did the procedure to turn off the SDM.
It worked like a charm.
I then put the lens back on the K-3, and it locked almost every time from both near and far focus areas, even in low light at F4.
So this leaves me to wonder, what could be wrong with the lens if it focuses great with the SDM disabled
and does not with it enabled.
Keep in mind the near side of the lens was the issue.
Any ideas ?
Sorry if this does not seem clear.
The near end being zero - 0 and the far end infinity as a starting point .
Would there be a change in the scripting of the LNS file that could correct the lens ?

Thanks
I have converted several lenses with similar results. My thinking is that the sdm starts to lose torque, which results in the camera giving up before focus is achieved.

11-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #830
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have converted several lenses with similar results. My thinking is that the sdm starts to lose torque, which results in the camera giving up before focus is achieved.
well that sounds very logical. I never considered age, wear and tear concerning the motor.

But I still don't understand why I get a lock at +10 to -10 using the dot tune method.
or why there is such a negligible difference between shots when I shoot each point that its simply hard to tell.
I used to have the AF fine tune at +3, now +3 is horrid and +1 seems good lol.
But then I am using the camera's motor now, so apparently that makes a difference, as you say about the motor torque
on the SDM.
But I do love the responce and speed/accuracy of the cameras motor, even if the noise is annoying

Thanks for the heads up mate.
11-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #831
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
well that sounds very logical. I never considered age, wear and tear concerning the motor.

But I still don't understand why I get a lock at +10 to -10 using the dot tune method.
or why there is such a negligible difference between shots when I shoot each point that its simply hard to tell.
I used to have the AF fine tune at +3, now +3 is horrid and +1 seems good lol.
But then I am using the camera's motor now, so apparently that makes a difference, as you say about the motor torque
on the SDM.
But I do love the responce and speed/accuracy of the cameras motor, even if the noise is annoying

Thanks for the heads up mate.
I had one customer who only had problems in low light.

I can honestly only say I know it can sometimes help to convert when focus problems crop up but I can't fully explain why.

I'm glad it you were able to convert your lens and it helped the focus issues. It's always good to see these superb lenses back in action.
11-22-2019, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #832
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I had one customer who only had problems in low light.

I can honestly only say I know it can sometimes help to convert when focus problems crop up but I can't fully explain why.

I'm glad it you were able to convert your lens and it helped the focus issues. It's always good to see these superb lenses back in action.
Thanks.
Recent tests have been done in low light due to in-climate weather outside, but tomorrow I may run the test shots again at higher speeds and lower ISO.

This lens does kick ass. I shoot with some Nokonians that spent big money on their mighty 500mm zooms, that come close, but they cant match the sharpness of this lens.
I believe I purchased this lens in 2014, and I have used it relentlessly since.
12-13-2019, 11:51 AM - 2 Likes   #833

Just purchased a cheap used K10D last night with the intent on using it to 'fix' my dead 16-50 and then double as a second body/lens combo.

Got it home, found it was updated to firmware 1.31, which from almost everything I had read, wouldn't allow access to the debug menu. Heart dropped, and spent all night and a good chunk of the morning scowering the internet for an older firware version, and a way to roll it back (which I have read is impossible if you are on 1.31. although I wasn't able to find a firmware file anyways...)

However, if you add both the debug enable command AND the debug menu open command into the txt file, it still works, and 5min later (with the use of notepad++ for quick find and replacement) had a fully working screwdrive 16-50.

So just in case someone is looking in the future, even with a fully upgraded K10D body, you can get the conversion to work.

Thanks to everyone in this thread and on the internet for all the information and support with these extremely annoying yet still high quality lenses. Especially to people like UncleVanya for being willing to do the conversion for people who can't get their hands on an older body (or comfortable with trying to do it themselves).

02-21-2020, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #834

I give!! Throwing in the proverbial towel! I read every single page, tried every which way possible. I can not get my K10D into debug mode to save my life! 6.5 hours of my life gone!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Currently I have ver. 1.30 on the camera. The lens is the 50-135.

2/22 Figured it out!! Updated to 1.31 and by dumb luck I did it!

Last edited by cajuncutter; 02-22-2020 at 01:25 PM.
06-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #835

K10D files

Trying to determine what hack files to download as K10D does not come up on the list and when I go into the Older Cameras folder it seems to be just a text file. Another issue I've run into is when I go into Debug Mode, those words show on the camera's screen but there is no menu option past Custom Settings as shown in the videos. When not holding down the menu button the screen is blank but for the words Debug Mode. I'm running 1.31. Thank you for any help anybody can provide.

Larry
06-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #836
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hh2Larry Quote
Trying to determine what hack files to download as K10D does not come up on the list and when I go into the Older Cameras folder it seems to be just a text file. Another issue I've run into is when I go into Debug Mode, those words show on the camera's screen but there is no menu option past Custom Settings as shown in the videos. When not holding down the menu button the screen is blank but for the words Debug Mode. I'm running 1.31. Thank you for any help anybody can provide.

Larry
I'm not 100% sure but I think you need firmware 1.30 or older. Will let others chime in on that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #837

Thank you Adam, there’s a couple of messages just before mine that state it can be done. Hopefully those guys are still around.
06-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Larry
Post the contents and name of the file you are using.
06-03-2020, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #839

Larry
PM me your email and I'll send you my hack files foe the K10D on 1.31. I got my 16-50 working in minutes with them.
06-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #840

PM sent, thank you so much!