Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #91
Site Supporter

For a 50-135mm Screwdrive:

Accuracy: on the K-01 it is perfect. Because K-01 is CDAF only, so of course it is perfect. I can't speak for PDAF, other than to say I've been using screwdrive on a K10D and after adjusting the focus point it worked just fine.

Speed: The lens racks quickly from 10%-90% of focus throw, but at the extremes it slows down a bunch until it hits the hard stops. I'm not sure if it would do that with SDM.

01-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #92
ASa

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great news! As usual, the ordinary users find the ways which the official manufacturer declines.
Still looking for more user reviews, as I was looking for the 50-135 to be used as an indoor sports lens, but reverted to the discontinued Sigma 50-150 due to the reportedly slow focusing speed of the SDM driven 50-135. Will it boost the focusing speed enough for sports shooting? This would greatly increase my buying possibilities, as the Sigma 50-150 is pretty rare in my side of the globe....
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
Great news! As usual, the ordinary users find the ways which the official manufacturer declines.
Still looking for more user reviews, as I was looking for the 50-135 to be used as an indoor sports lens, but reverted to the discontinued Sigma 50-150 due to the reportedly slow focusing speed of the SDM driven 50-135. Will it boost the focusing speed enough for sports shooting? This would greatly increase my buying possibilities, as the Sigma 50-150 is pretty rare in my side of the globe....
In my opinion focusing speed does not improve.
And at one point I was trying to focus on the "sail" of a wind chime (the part that hangs low and catches the wind), the focus racked in and out and the camera locked up tight.
The buttons didn't do anything and I couldn't power it off. I had to pull the battery. I have never had this problem before with the camera (in almost 2 years of use). But I will still use it with screw drive as I plan on shooting stationary subjects.
01-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #94

is it possible to do it with an K-r?

01-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #95

Original Poster
Probably, but the instructions are different, you need to access debug mode menu, but the way semms to be very different since the K-5
01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #96

So much frustration.....

Oh how I love my Pentax, but this is the FIRST time Ive come down with a bout of frustration at it. Maybe someone can help me out?

I cannot for the life of me get my K7 into the debug menu. I have messed with this thing for over 7 hours trying to get it to show me some kind of debug menu and it just will not happen. So, to the forums I go. Im uploading a video onto youtube at the moment to show my process and my results. Ill post the link when its done.

Basically, multiple SD cards with any text file (with any line of suggested code in it) have no effect whatsoever on the functions of the camera. The only thing that I can accomplish is getting the camera into Debug mode through PKTether. After that, Not a single thing I have done in any sequence has provided any change to any Debug related function. The SD card with any/every line of code in it will not effect the debug mode of the camera. I cannot get it into debug mode with a text file and I cannot accomplish anything with a text file after PKTether has put the camera into Debug mode. I have done everything I can think of in THREE different firmware versions for my K7 and using three different SD cards. I have never seen a debug menu on my camera and im starting to get to my wits end over here.

What the heck am I doing wrong?!?!?

Thanks,

Jim
01-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khanb31 Quote
Oh how I love my Pentax, but this is the FIRST time Ive come down with a bout of frustration at it. Maybe someone can help me out?

I cannot for the life of me get my K7 into the debug menu. I have messed with this thing for over 7 hours trying to get it to show me some kind of debug menu and it just will not happen. So, to the forums I go. Im uploading a video onto youtube at the moment to show my process and my results. Ill post the link when its done.

Basically, multiple SD cards with any text file (with any line of suggested code in it) have no effect whatsoever on the functions of the camera. The only thing that I can accomplish is getting the camera into Debug mode through PKTether. After that, Not a single thing I have done in any sequence has provided any change to any Debug related function. The SD card with any/every line of code in it will not effect the debug mode of the camera. I cannot get it into debug mode with a text file and I cannot accomplish anything with a text file after PKTether has put the camera into Debug mode. I have done everything I can think of in THREE different firmware versions for my K7 and using three different SD cards. I have never seen a debug menu on my camera and im starting to get to my wits end over here.

Thanks,

Jim
You need to open the SD card door with the right file in the SD, then turn on the K7.

01-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
can you show the file that you are putting in the root directory??

Thanks,

Jim
01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #99

Such Quick responses! Thankyou all very much for joining in.

@MegaPower/Milesy: Alright, so lets try this from scratch. Take out battery, wait 10 seconds. Upload the file shown below to the SDcard after it is formatted. Then, upload the txt file and remove hardware. Input card into the K7 with door open, then the battery. Holding down menu button and then turning the camera ON. After a few seconds, the screen and camera effectively turn OFF and it makes a small tweeting sound.

Is that how its supposed to go?
Attached Images

01-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #100

English not being my first language, I also had a bit of difficulty getting the DEBUG_MODE going in my K-x from online instructions, perhaps this can help you too:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/130514-...cs-please.html

Some online instructions mention that for the K-7 the DELETE button must be held while powering up and and not MENU.
On my K-x, the top AV+/- button has to be held.
Also, latest Firmware versions might not allow acces to the DEBUG_MODE in certain camera models.

Last edited by mlatour; 01-27-2013 at 10:27 PM.
01-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #101
Veteran Member

@MegaPower/Milesy: Alright, so lets try this from scratch. Take out battery, wait 10 seconds. Upload the file shown below to the SDcard after it is formatted. Then, upload the txt file and remove hardware. Input card into the K7 with door open, then the battery. Holding down menu button and then turning the camera ON. After a few seconds, the screen and camera effectively turn OFF and it makes a small tweeting sound.

You don't need to hold the 'menu' button in K7 case.
In your command file, you need to hit "enter" after the first line. In another word, you need to change to second line.
01-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #102

Could you try this, Inside the modset.474 use this line [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] <-press enter then save the file again. Insert the card into the camera and keep the SD Card door open; then turn on the camera.
01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #103

Original Poster

Use PKteter to switch on or off the debug mode , it needs a sd card inside to use and the modeset file, you only need to write

[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
01-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #104

Well, Ive tried everything you guys have suggested....all the way from directly verbatim to trying alterations on every little nuance. None of them worked. Still, I can only get any response from the system when its hooked up to PKTether. No SD card text files are having any affect on this camera. Am I using the wrong text file? I just used the standard text document on my windows OS.

Could someone please take a video of them doing this operation? I want to know where the break in my process is occurring. I cant find any video's on youtube documenting this process.

Thanks for all this guys....Im open to any and all suggestions.
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #105

I've created the modset file (attached as zip) for you. Unzip it and copy the modset.474 inside to your SD card. Could you try using it instead? Same procedure:

1. Insert SD card to camera
2. Leave SD card door open
3. Turn on camera
Attached Files
File Type: zip MODSET.zip (137 Bytes, 213 views)