Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #106

ZOMG!!!!!

SUCCESS!!! THANKS!!!

What on earth did you do different? Should I have used notepad++ ? I have another SD card with the EXACT same code in it and it WOULD NOT work!!

Flabbergasted........But much appreciated. Now lets see if I can get this SDM motor problem fixed.

01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #107

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by khanb31 Quote
ZOMG!!!!!

SUCCESS!!! THANKS!!!

What on earth did you do different? Should I have used notepad++ ? I have another SD card with the EXACT same code in it and it WOULD NOT work!!

Flabbergasted........But much appreciated. Now lets see if I can get this SDM motor problem fixed.
I noticed from your screenshot that windows is recognizing your file as a text file (small icon on header). And thought maybe you are actually saving the file as MODSET.474.txt (windows hides the extension .txt from you -- thought it to be convenient).
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
I noticed from your screenshot that windows is recognizing your file as a text file (small icon on header). And thought maybe you are actually saving the file as MODSET.474.txt (windows hides the extension .txt from you -- thought it to be convenient).
Very possible, I had that happening to me when modding a file for a game. I went crazy after an hour or so until I realized the problem...
01-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #109

And....the story finally ends. My SDM lens now works flawlessly with the screw drive motor!!!!! BOOO yahhhh grandma!

Thanks so much guys!!! The Txt file extension was certainly the problem. When I was saving the lens file, it initially saved it as a txt file. After noticing the difference in the icons, it was indeed not the same. I hate it when things like that happen. I spent so much time trying to get that to work. I am quite the patient man....and I almost lost my cool last night. Whew....Thanks gents.

Now that ive got good glass and autofocus, I can really start pumping out the photos.

Case Closed. High Five...

01-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #110
Site Supporter

I see that khanb31 has solved his issue, but for anybody having troubles with the txt file I'll add that the newline needs to use a windows newline with carriage return.

I wasted a lot of time looking for the carriage return.
01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clover Quote
How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX

I post in page 1 the instructions, but I put a link to my websiute, so it is easier to read page older than page 1

Also, the instructions for 50-135mm
How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX

Thanks clover, just in case I need it.
01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #112

Has anyone yet managed to do this trick on the K-5 ?
The MODSET.505 file does not allow to go the advanced debug menu; it still shows the basic 5 or 6 test entries.

01-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Someone could probably start a business, who owns a K7 or older camera, deactivating SDMs for folks, for a fee.
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Someone could probably start a business, who owns a K7 or older camera, deactivating SDMs for folks, for a fee.
My thoughts exactly. As a matter of fact, I would gladly ship my K-x (if it could be done with a K-x) and 16-50 to someone to do this for me. I just don't have the guts to try this even though it's looks straight forward. Just have that feeling that if one character is off I would end up with a paper weight.

My 16-50 is still working, but I need to wake it up a bit when I first start using it.
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #115

The fact that a thread like this is necessary shows the biggest problem Ricoh have to solve: the SDM fiasco. Yes, other brands have particular lenses that have their problems (see lensrental's stories), but none of them have their entire premium line of lenses discredited because of poor quality focus motors.
01-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #116
Veteran Member

I find it ironic that the best piece of news for Pentax users in a long time does not come from Pentax but hardware hackers.
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #117
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
My thoughts exactly. As a matter of fact, I would gladly ship my K-x (if it could be done with a K-x) and 16-50 to someone to do this for me. I just don't have the guts to try this even though it's looks straight forward. Just have that feeling that if one character is off I would end up with a paper weight.

My 16-50 is still working, but I need to wake it up a bit when I first start using it.
Stan,

It isn't too difficult. If you can manage to put the camera in debug mode and then to copy the LENSEEP file onto the SD card, then just post the file here and I'll modify it for you. You would only need to keep a copy of the original and load the modified file. Super easy.

It would be worth the effort if it was hard. But it isn't hard, it is easy. Copy the file, post it here, I'll make the quick and easy changes for you, then load it and be happy.

The hardest part is putting it into debug mode, which isn't tough either. I had problems with the carriage return and I don't have a PC so I couldn't use PKTether. But if you can manage getting into debug mode then you are definitely skilled enough to copy the file.
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Stan,

It isn't too difficult. If you can manage to put the camera in debug mode and then to copy the LENSEEP file onto the SD card, then just post the file here and I'll modify it for you. You would only need to keep a copy of the original and load the modified file. Super easy.

It would be worth the effort if it was hard. But it isn't hard, it is easy. Copy the file, post it here, I'll make the quick and easy changes for you, then load it and be happy.

The hardest part is putting it into debug mode, which isn't tough either. I had problems with the carriage return and I don't have a PC so I couldn't use PKTether. But if you can manage getting into debug mode then you are definitely skilled enough to copy the file.
Well thank you very much for the offer!

I like the idea of taking it one step at a time, so I will first attempt the debug mode and take it from there.

Before I even start with that, after reading through the thread I am still not certain if this will work with the K-x - maybe I missed it somewhere.

Another thought I had was if you are willing to help me with the code change - it would be nice if I kept both files on spare SD cards - one that makes the lens work with SDM, and one that makes it work with screw drive. Since my 16-50 is still working in SDM, I would have the best of both worlds with the ability to switch to screw drive when I wanted or needed to.
01-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #119
Site Supporter

Personally, I wouldn't want to switch back and forth because you will be programming a chip in the lens, and any disruptions in power or communication or whatever could cause permanent damage to the lens (Pentax could probably fix it, but you probably couldn't).

The risk is generally low, but "stuff happens" every now and then with firmware updates. Just take a look at Olympus' firmware update "brick" reports and you'll see that it can be messed up. (Olympus is a good example because they've tailored their firmware update process to explode. It has horrible instructions, unclear prompts, long delays, all the safety and comfort USB connections can offer, and frequently causes problems. This lens update is quicker and easier, but as an example Olympus takes the cake for demonstrating the horror of a failed update).

As the first post says, "follow [these instructions] at your own risk". I'd put the risk at 1 in 1000, just as a wild guess. I'm willing to take that chance once, but not regularly.

I'm not trying to scare you from doing the switch, but I certainly wouldn't recommend switching frequently.
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #120
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
For a 50-135mm Screwdrive:

Accuracy: on the K-01 it is perfect. Because K-01 is CDAF only, so of course it is perfect. I can't speak for PDAF, other than to say I've been using screwdrive on a K10D and after adjusting the focus point it worked just fine.

Speed: The lens racks quickly from 10%-90% of focus throw, but at the extremes it slows down a bunch until it hits the hard stops. I'm not sure if it would do that with SDM.
Time to follow up:

Using a K-5, the accuracy is still pretty much perfect (as well as any screwdrive lens on the K-5). The speed is mostly the same, but the K-5 doesn't slow down near the hard stops, so it is actually much faster in the case where the lens has to rack-out to infinity or MFD.