Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #226

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone had success converting a 60-250 using this method? I tried modifying the file using a K-100d per the instructions but my K-5 still tries to use the failing SDM to focus.

12-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #227

Is there a way to deactivate the SDM on the 55mm f1.4 lens as well?
12-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #228
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by horc00 Quote
Is there a way to deactivate the SDM on the 55mm f1.4 lens as well?
Yes. Switch it to manual focus
Seriously, the DA*55 has no screw drive mechanism, so if the SDM fails you're buggered.
12-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #229

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yes. Switch it to manual focus
Seriously, the DA*55 has no screw drive mechanism, so if the SDM fails you're buggered.
Shucks...

12-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Well, there aren't that many reports of failing 55's.
12-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #231
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, there aren't that many reports of failing 55's.
Well my first copy had a failed SDM out of the box. Its replacement is still going strong though
12-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #232

Has anyone tried this with da* 200 ?? The sdm of my da* 200 failed last week, it used to focus slowly but now it's completely dead.

12-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #233
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A big thank you to all that contributed to this thread!
My 50-135 has a dead SDM. Instead of paying $350 for the new motor, plus waiting a couple of months for the service, I found a K10D in excellent condition for $130.
Firmware 1.31 - no need for PK tether.
MODSET.TXT and modified LENSEEP.LNS did the trick.
Lens is alive again - typical screw-drive noise.
Initial trial indicates the focus to be pretty accurate - will have to do some more extensive tests.
In the meantime, my 16-50 is still in Japan getting serviced for de-centering and sluggish SDM focusing. Will keep the K10D for a while and convert the 16-50 to screw-drive when the SDM fails (which is most likely going to happen).

Last edited by VladM; 12-30-2013 at 12:55 PM.
12-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #234
Forum Member

Hey guys, really hoping someone will be able to answer my question (posted earlier):
QuoteOriginally posted by lukelbd Quote
Will this modification work for Sigma lenses with HSM? And for that matter, will it work for any other lenses with in-body focus motors? I currently own a Sigma 17-50mm HSM, but due to what I assume to be infiltration of moisture into the focus motor, it will now focus "in and out" from the correct point of focus repeatedly as you half-press the shutter. So it's not completely non-functioning, but for all intents and purposes it is unusable. I had hoped it would be possible to activate the in-body screw drive instead. I own another Sigma lens without an in-body motor, the Sigma 10-20mm, which works fine using Pentax's screw drive motor.

It's very frustrating as the lens is otherwise in great condition.
01-04-2014, 05:04 AM   #235
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lukelbd Quote
Hey guys, really hoping someone will be able to answer my question (posted earlier):

It's very frustrating as the lens is otherwise in great condition.
No. Sigma HSM never exists in double with screwdrive AF so, even if you could deactivate HSM, there's no other AF system present in the lens. So, basicaly you have no AF but if you repair the lens.
01-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #236

Thanks a lot. My 50-135 has been rather hesitant for the last two years. But since I had my daughter's old K110 (screwdrive only), I kept it alive by an occasional massage.
The procedure described by Class A in post 173 worked perfectly, using Notepad++ and the basic description in post 1. I was quite nervous, but it was really quite straigthforward.
The only difficulty seems to be to get access to the LENS EEPROM, with different procedures for each camera model. By far the simplest method is the one in post 173, if you own or can get hold of one of these old cameras, and an old SD card (max 2 Gb) to go with it. A good insurance against future problems. I suppose all motorized lenses will fail some day, and now I can at least fix the SDM lenses which also have screwdrive.
To Ricoh: Make this an option in the menu, and let all lenses have screwdrive.
01-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #237

DA* 60-250 SDM successful deactivation

QuoteOriginally posted by clover Quote
How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX

I post in page 1 the instructions, but I put a link to my websiute, so it is easier to read page older than page 1

Also, the instructions for 50-135mm
How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX

Hi, thanks to anyone let us know how-to regarding debug mode. For me a save time (and money) successful

way to bring my lens again operative.

The story: after a very short lens fall travel (in a very soft grass area!) my lens was get damaged. I'm

seriously wondering if that lens, or better, zoom lenses in general are so delicate. No more way to operate the

zoom ring (I was forced to use it for a period as a focal fixed lens). After this very short period I sent the unit

to a Pentax authorized center for check/repair. After months the lens come back fixed, obviously they charge

me for repair (as is right in that accidental way of damage). Then I tested the unit for a day and I must say all

was ok. The lens was stored in a safe place for another two months without touching it. Taking two days ago

the camera with the lens to periodically test if battery is ok and to check overall general status of units I find

out the auto focus is no more operative. No wrong settings, nobody touch the lens or camera, lens fresh

repaired and calibrated at the Pentax center.

After a disappoint and a very bad sensation regarding all previous tasks, I search in the web for more info if

any. Reading your post I shortly take the way to try to fix the lens by myself. I can't spend next monts again

without that lens. SDM or not the lens is wonderful and the idea that the SDM motor could "abandonate" the

unit in a random manner during photo travels or events let me convinced to try to repair also accepting the

risk of definitively damage the unit. I can't suggest this way to all we are in my situations but for me that was

the best way to accomodate the situation.

First I opened the back ring of the lens to check if the gears and the motor was for any reason stuk. No, the

AF screw drive on the ring was free, the SDM wheel drive was free. I quickly restored the back ring situation

and prepared a set of SD cards to try your suggestions.

There was a quite difference in the way I made the deactivation in respect your indications. First I made a

copy in a safe place of dsp-memory, cpu-memory, lens memory data files. After that I changed values you

described at their locations without success. No SDM deactivation. I find out that the coded file is twice the file

you depict. Simply going further in change "C0" with "80" at intervals you indicate but for all the parameter file

lenght I get the successful SDM deactivation!

I'm not able to clearly indicate (as you made) best or right proof steps to accomodate this tasks, but I put my

example for anyone want in the future try the same way. They tipically must follows steps you clearly indicate

with the reminder to change all data positions in the third column of data where there is a "C0" (only C0's in

that column!), use an appropriate editor if necessary.

To fix the lens I used the K20D fw1.4, SMD60-250 attached to the camera, two or three SD cards for

convenience (but you can do all tasks with only one if you want). Remember to use a fully charged battery

and good luck.

Thanks again Clover.

Duilio
01-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #238

QuoteOriginally posted by dipintax Quote
Hi, thanks to anyone let us know how-to regarding debug mode. For me a save time (and money) successful

The story: after a very short lens fall travel (in a very soft grass area!) my lens was get damaged. I'm

seriously wondering if that lens, or better, zoom lenses in general are so delicate. No more way to operate the

zoom ring (I was forced to use it for a period as a focal fixed lens). After this very short period I sent the unit

to a Pentax authorized center for check/repair. After months the lens come back fixed, obviously they charge

me for repair (as is right in that accidental way of damage). Then I tested the unit for a day and I must say all

was ok. The lens was stored in a safe place for another two months without touching it. Taking two days ago

the camera with the lens to periodically test if battery is ok and to check overall general status of units I find

out the auto focus is no more operative. No wrong settings, nobody touch the lens or camera, lens fresh

After a disappoint and a very bad sensation regarding all previous tasks, I search in the web for more info if

any. Reading your post I shortly take the way to try to fix the lens by myself. I can't spend next monts again

without that lens. SDM or not the lens is wonderful and the idea that the SDM motor could "abandonate" the

unit in a random manner during photo travels or events let me convinced to try to repair also accepting the

risk of definitively damage the unit. I can't suggest this way to all we are in my situations but for me that was

First I opened the back ring of the lens to check if the gears and the motor was for any reason stuk. No, the

AF screw drive on the ring was free, the SDM wheel drive was free. I quickly restored the back ring situation

There was a quite difference in the way I made the deactivation in respect your indications. First I made a

copy in a safe place of dsp-memory, cpu-memory, lens memory data files. After that I changed values you

described at their locations without success. No SDM deactivation. I find out that the coded file is twice the file

you depict. Simply going further in change "C0" with "80" at intervals you indicate but for all the parameter file

I'm not able to clearly indicate (as you made) best or right proof steps to accomodate this tasks, but I put my

example for anyone want in the future try the same way. They tipically must follows steps you clearly indicate

with the reminder to change all data positions in the third column of data where there is a "C0" (only C0's in

To fix the lens I used the K20D fw1.4, SMD60-250 attached to the camera, two or three SD cards for

convenience (but you can do all tasks with only one if you want). Remember to use a fully charged battery

and good luck.

Thanks again Clover.

Duilio
Did you managed to deactivate the SDM for the 60-250? If so can you clarify you method? I am curious to see if AF would improve with screw drive. Thanks.
01-10-2014, 02:47 AM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, thanks to anyone let us know how-to regarding debug mode. For me a save time (and money) successful way to bring my lens again operative.

The story: after a very short lens fall travel (in a very soft grass area!) my lens was get damaged. I'm seriously wondering if that lens, or better, zoom lenses in general are so delicate. No more way to operate the zoom ring (I was forced to use it for a period as a focal fixed lens). After this very short period I sent the unit to a Pentax authorized center for check/repair. After months the lens come back fixed, obviously they charge me for repair (as is right in that accidental way of damage). Then I tested the unit for a day and I must say all was ok. The lens was stored in a safe place for another two months without touching it. Taking two days ago the camera with the lens to periodically test if battery is ok and to check overall general status of units I find out the auto focus is no more operative. No wrong settings, nobody touch the lens or camera, lens fresh repaired and calibrated at the Pentax center.

After a disappoint and a very bad sensation regarding all previous tasks, I search in the web for more info if any. Reading your post I shortly take the way to try to fix the lens by myself. I can't spend next monts again without that lens. SDM or not the lens is wonderful and the idea that the SDM motor could "abandonate" the unit in a random manner during photo travels or events let me convinced to try to repair also accepting the risk of definitively damage the unit. I can't suggest this way to all we are in my situations but for me that was the best way to accomodate the situation.

First I opened the back ring of the lens to check if the gears and the motor was for any reason stuk. No, the AF screw drive on the ring was free, the SDM wheel drive was free. I quickly restored the back ring situation and prepared a set of SD cards to try your suggestions.

There was a quite difference in the way I made the deactivation in respect your indications. First I made a copy in a safe place of dsp-memory, cpu-memory, lens memory data files. After that I changed values you described at their locations without success. No SDM deactivation. I find out that the coded file is twice the file you depict. Simply going further in change "C0" with "80" at intervals you indicate but for all the parameter file lenght I get the successful SDM deactivation!

I'm not able to clearly indicate (as you made) best or right proof steps to accomodate this tasks, but I put my example for anyone want in the future try the same way. They tipically must follows steps you clearly indicate with the reminder to change all data positions in the third column of data where there is a "C0" (only C0's in that column!), use an appropriate editor if necessary.

To fix the lens I used the K20D fw1.4, SMD60-250 attached to the camera, two or three SD cards for convenience (but you can do all tasks with only one if you want). Remember to use a fully charged battery and good luck.

Thanks again Clover.

Duilio
Your experience was similar to mine, though with the 16-50, except I was advised by the repairer that the ball bearing that had jumped out of the helical groove for the zoom could be coaxed back in by working back and forth, and so it did and it's still OK four years later. It was a while later that the SDM started to fail, although it was resurrectable by dismantling and freeing the motor. I got tired of the increasing frequency of doing this, however, and used my K20D to convert to screw-drive.

By the way, your post is a lot more readable without all the line breaks in the paragraphs.
01-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #240

and good luck.

Thanks again Clover.

Duilio
Are you suggesting changing all the "C0" in column "03" to "80" to deactivate SDM for 60-250? I tried that and I still couldn't get it to work. Would you mind clarifying? Thanks.