Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #421
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
I didn't back up my lensrom
As an IT consultant my eyes widen when I encounter the phrase 'didn't back up'.

Good luck with your recovery attempts, though!

01-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #422
Veteran Member

I know I know. now send me your roms
01-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #423

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Lens data is specific to each lens copy. It would normally not be a good idea to use someone else's lens data in one's own copy. It is likely that the lens will show FF/BF behaviour afterwards.

The correct approach is to modify one's own lens data by just changing the SDM flags in the data.
Since you are so knowledgeable, why don't you share the meanings of the flags and their values so that he has something to work with? Surly someone of your vast experience will help a fellow Pentaxian?
01-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #424
Veteran Member

I just found another 16-50.

I'll be selling my copy as a manual focus only for a song and a dance. I'm sure someone will take it. Lesson learned

01-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #425

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
I just found another 16-50.

I'll be selling my copy as a manual focus only for a song and a dance. I'm sure someone will take it. Lesson learned
I'll give you $50 for it
01-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #426
Veteran Member

You're pretty close. Ill list it officially when my next one shows up
01-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #427
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onebeachbumm Quote
Surly someone of your vast experience will help a fellow Pentaxian?
Surely, you will find that extending sarcasm in general is not the most inviting approach for asking others to spend their leisure time to help you.

01-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #428
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the SDM on my 16-50 failed for the second time and it is my go to lens so it was time to try to convert it to screw drive. The instructions say to use PKTether. I am a Mac user and PKTether does not work on a Mac. So I worked it out piecing the instructions together from the various posts. I got my 16-50 to work using my K7.

Attached is a PDF with the instructions and screen shots.

If you have any comments / corrections let me know and I will update the file.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Procedure.pdf (349.0 KB, 387 views)
01-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #429
Pentaxian

Woo Hoo! I now have a screw-drive 16-50.

I would like to thank all of the contributors to this awesome thread. I especially thank Driline and LFLee for the clear instructions in posts 274 and 386.
01-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #430

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Surely, you will find that extending sarcasm in general is not the most inviting approach for asking others to spend their leisure time to help you.
I guess they do things differently DOWN UNDER?

---------- Post added 01-17-15 at 04:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
I'll give you $50 for it
Hell, I'll give you $50 for it just for the chance to play with it and see if it can be patched/hacked to work with the screw drive.

---------- Post added 01-17-15 at 04:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
continue from thread above!

5. Copy new lens config from memory card to EEPROM & test lens works in screwdrive mode
a. On the penultimate page again, there should be another option "LENS ROM SD=>CAMERA" - basically does the opposite of step 3a and copies your new datafile back to the EEPROM inside the camera/lens. It will say "VERIFYING" and go through the rows in the LENSEEP file until it's happy.
b. Press the menu key to exit the debug menu and check autofocus works and you can hear the screwdrive operating (easy to check with my lens as the SDM was dead - so activity meant success!)
Note: if you haven't edited the file properly, you probably won't find this step working... in my case, I had followed instructions for the DA*16-50 which only has 4 blocks rather than 8 to edit... I went back to my computer and made the other 16 edits and then it worked. So don't panic and take your time.

comment: the "LENS ROM SD=>CAMERA" option is here:
Attachment 250201

once you click "OK", the screen flash several message quickly (didn't manage to take picture, sorry). But I did see "VERIFYING : ...", and one of the message looks like this :
Attachment 250204
Then the screen goes back to development menu. You are done!

6. Use PKTether to turn off Debug Mode
a. Leaving your camera on, connect it via USB to the computer
b. PKTether should show that the camera is now connected and the camera should show "PC-5" or similar message in the top LCD
c. Choose "Camera Debug Mode Off" from the Debug mode menu
Done!

comment: this part is pretty easy, now enjoy the noisy screw drive, but working AF! accurate, and fast!

7. Tidy up memory card by removing "boot files"
As a final step, I deleted the "boot files" from the root directory of my memory card... I didn't want to leave them lying around just in case.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...#ixzz3MCAB3DhA
Thank you for taking the time to list all the steps including photos... Just wish I had found this before three days of stumbling in the dark. But I have saved it for future reference. Again, many thanks!

---------- Post added 01-17-15 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arizona Dave Quote
I would like to thank all of the contributors to this awesome thread. I especially thank Driline and LFLee for the clear instructions in posts 274 and 386.
Dave, is there any way to copy and save post #386?
01-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #431
Veteran Member

Onebeachbum, it does work with screw drive. that's not the problem. The issue is the lost focus cal data. So it will screw drive to incorrect focus
01-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onebeachbumm Quote
Dave, is there any way to copy and save post #386?

Yes. Click on the settings tab of your browser, Select FILE, and SAVE AS. I saved the pages I wanted as HTML files to the same folder as the other files I made for this project. If this thread disappears, I'll still have good instructions.

01-19-2015, 04:09 AM   #433

Thanks; very helpful.

It has been a very long time since I have participated here, but I came across this thread after having the SDM on a 16-50 go. Thankfully, I was able to make it work again and mostly I just wanted to express those thanks.

I did have some issues, so I will post what worked for me. Likely it was covered somewhere in the hundreds of replies, but I didn't see it. Forgive me if this is a repeat.

First, I don't know why, but I could not get PK Tether to communicate with either my K-5 or my K10D on either my desktop (Win 8/64bit) or on my Laptop (Win 7/64bit). Not sure why but I had no luck.
Fortunately though, and I am sure I found it in this thread somewhere, I was directed to this site: Debug mode
For the K10D, I made the MODSET.TXT file with the [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] instruction and put that in the root directory of an SD card. Then, I started the camera with the card door open and the debug mode came up.
Then, I scrolled down until I came to the line saying, `LENS ROM SAVE to FILE` and I clicked on OK for that option. The camera saved a file titled LENSEEP.LNS to the memory card. I then took the card back out of the camera, backed up that file and then opened it with NotePad Plus. From there, I did a find and replace, where I replaced all `C0`text with `80`as was covered by LFLee in #386 of this thread. Then, I put the card, with the new LENSLEEP.LNS file into the camera, left the door open and started up the camera. Then, it was a matter of scrolling to LENS ROM LOAD from FILE and clicking ok. After that, it did take a few minutes, but the operation did finish and I then had auto-focus with the 16-50 again. Works on both my K10D and my K-5, just as it should.

Sorry if this is wordy, but I thought it might be of some interest, just in case others can't get PK Tether to work.

I am very happy and very thankful for the hard work that has obviously gone into this thread.
01-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #434
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
For the K10D, I made the MODSET.TXT file with the [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] instruction and put that in the root directory of an SD card.
That's already been documented a couple of times in this thread, though, Darren?

Good to see you're going, anyway.
01-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #435
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aggie89 Quote
I have tried multiple times to convert a 60-250 to screw drive using this method. I have never gotten it to work.
QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Neither could I. Only one person claimed to have done it, but no actual prove. I was obviously skeptical.
The guy now told me that after some extensive testing with another guy, he said he didn't actually got the 60-250 to work...

so as of now no one confirm this trick work on 60-250.