Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #541

Photos: Gallery
After several failed attempts, here is the method that worked on my camera K20 with firmware 1.04
- Installation PK_Tether 0.7.0
- From PK_Tether 0.7.0 Enabling Debug Mode
- Install Notepad ++ 6.3
Step 1: Create a text file called MODSET.442 in the root of your SD card. The file should contain the following single line:

[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

Make sure that the file is called MODSET.442 and not MODSET.442.txt(save as ** all files**)

Step 2: Put the SD card into the camera but leave the card door open.

Step 3: Hold down the Menu button and turn on the camera. Keep holding down the Menu button until the debug menu appear
-
-- Go to the page no.4 debug menu and execute
- lens rom dat to file
- Press the menu button to exit the debug menu
- copu lensleep.lns to safe place for backup
- Lenseep.lns file from sd card open in Notepad ++
- In the first 4 groups of numbers there 4x4 combinations of letters that should be changed from C0 to 80
- copu lensleep.lns back to the sd card
- Hold down the Menu button and turn on the camera. Keep holding down the Menu button until the debug menu appear
- lens rom dat to camera
- once you click "OK", the screen flash several message quickly
- once is blinking done hit the button menu to exit
- Create a text file called MODSET.442 in the root of your SD card. The file should contain the following single line:
[DEBUG_MENU DIS]
- pk TETHER in my case COULD NOT to turn off the debug mode, so I had to do USING SD CARDS AND
my happiness never ends,
FINALlY, AGAIN i can use F2.8 and weather-sealed body in the right combination

p.s. I hope that this little guide will support someone else to revive the lens
p.s.s. Thanks Andy McMullan and LFLee

Andy McMullan
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post3083922

08-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just did the conversion, really want to thank all the guidance along the way. Just converted a dying 16-50mm (hard to hit focus) to work perfectly on my K-3!

After inserting card back to the camera, to enable debug mode do the following:

I was using a K10D with FW1.30, took me about 2hrs trying different notepad docs. In the end this is what worked for me.
1. Switch camera off.
2. Open card door and leave it open.
3. Switch camera on -- debug menu shows up.
4. Close card door.
5. Left/right to enable debug mode.
6. Press OK to confirm.
7. Go to Set-Up menu, go to the end and Set-up will change to TEST MODE menu, AF TEST option is there with Focus Corr inside.

I don't have too much use for the K10D otherwise, is there interest to circulate the body within the Pentax community for those that need to convert their lenses? I could include the SD card with the correct MODSET.TXT file to speed up the mods.
I am located in Toronto, Canada.
08-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #543

Photos: Albums
K7 - 16-50 SDM Issues

I'm having the same SDM issues as everyone else. I've tried to follow the procedures described in the thread using PKTether. So far, i have not had any luck getting my camera to show the debug menu. It goes into debug mode, just no menu.

My first question is this: My K7 hasn't had any firmware updates. It shows that it is running version 1.00. Do I need to do a firmware upload before any of this will work?
I would rather not update the firmware if I don't have to, but I will if it is required.

If the firmware update is NOT required, is MODSET.474 still the correct file to create on the SD card?

One final question for now. Does the SD card used for the procedure have to be completely blank before starting?
08-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #544
Forum Member

you should update your firmware to the newest release, because the camera will work better with the newest update.

And yes, MODSET.474 is correct, but you have to written in that file: [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

Have a look here: First disassembly results

It is not necessary, that the sd card is blank!

regards,
Stefan

08-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #545

Photos: Albums
K7 - 16-50 SDM Issues

Thanks for the help. I uploaded newest firmware for my K7 and went back over the procedure. Still had a little trouble getting it to show the development menus, but after 2 or 3 tries it showed up. Got the lens software fixed and uploaded, and my lens works again on screw drive.

Thanks to everyone involved in this thread. A great service to us Pentax owners.
08-10-2015, 04:04 AM   #546

I read all the thread, but didn't find any information about K-r.

QuoteQuote:
Save it and close notepad/notepad++ and rename to:
For K5 the file should be renamed to: 00077430.505 (these are all numbers, not 's' or 'o') - I have tested this and can confirm it works
For K5-ii the file should be renamed to: 00077680.536 (have not confirmed this as I don't have this camera)
For K5-iis the file should be renamed to: 00077681.541
Does anybody know how should be renamed that file for K-r?
08-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aksel Quote
I read all the thread, but didn't find any information about K-r.

Does anybody know how should be renamed that file for K-r?
Unfortunately, this hack trick will not work on K-r. You can get it to debug mode but the option to move the lenseep file to SD card (and back) is not there. Sorry to say.

09-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #548
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just did the trick on 50-135 and K200d.

If someone interested, I attached changed lens file. Remove .txt at the end
Attached Files
File Type: txt LENSEEP.LNS.txt (13.4 KB, 145 views)
09-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #549
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
If someone interested, I attached changed lens file. Remove .txt at the end
The data in this file is partially specific to your lens copy.

It shouldn't be used for any other copy or else the chances are high that AF inaccuries at various distances and focal lengths will be the result.
09-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #550
Veteran Member

Interesting, so each one is unique for each single copy? This would mean thas some unique calibration data are stored?
09-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #551
Forum Member

yes, that's true.
In that lensrom is a config for focussing, etc.

But not each is different, very often the lensrom is the same.
Look at the link in my signature, i startet a database for lensroms.
Or this Thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/251464-coll...-lensroms.html

Does your 50-135 have any missfocus with your k5?
09-13-2015, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #552
Veteran Member

Hello,

Nope, I did not specially noticed any focus misalignement problems. After converting to Screw Drive I did few shots to check if there is no Back/Front Focus issues. Within not bright artificial light condition I did not notice any serious focusing issues.
10-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #553
Site Supporter

I have a problematic 16-50 and have just acquired a K10d with firmware 1.00 to try to deactivate SDM in the lens. Which firmware should I use for that task?

regards
10-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #554
Forum Member

you can use your K3 to enter debug menu and modify lensrom.
Just have a look at my signature "Lensrom Database"
10-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #555
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duc-Driver Quote
you can use your K3 to enter debug menu and modify lensrom.
Just have a look at my signature "Lensrom Database"
thanks. I am having a look at it now to see if I can get it done.