Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #721
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
First, I don't even know if the tape would work, and secondly, if a piece of electrical tape did work I would be sure to change it whenever I used an SDM lens. I have Sigmas with HSM motors but I've never had a problem with them. As stated above, my copy of the SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM is on the way. I'll try it and see if it works.

There have been many many many people who have already tried this and found it does not work. It should not work since the SDM contacts (as stated in my reply above) do not have anything except power on them. They have nothing to do with the lens telling the camera it is SDM capable. People have had the SDM tabs on lenses and cameras come off in accidental impact only to find the camera and lens still want to use SDM.

Feel free to test but this has been well established already as not relevant.

04-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #722
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There have been many many many people who have already tried this and found it does not work. It should not work since the SDM contacts (as stated in my reply above) do not have anything except power on them. They have nothing to do with the lens telling the camera it is SDM capable. People have had the SDM tabs on lenses and cameras come off in accidental impact only to find the camera and lens still want to use SDM.

Feel free to test but this has been well established already as not relevant.
I certainly believe you, I thought that it was probably so simple that it must have been tried before. Oh, well, nothing asked nothing gained...
04-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #723
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was contacted by someone in Norway, I'm working up a shipping quote, but it tends to be really expensive to ship overseas from the USA as an individual.

Is there anyone closer who is able to perform the conversion?
04-20-2017, 02:20 AM   #724
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
i'm in Germany if somebody need help with the conversion

05-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #725

Anyone have luck using a k-s2 to convert a lens? UncleVanya has suggested I'd be best to find an older body. Thx
05-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #726
Forum Member

@ Botters, here you can find the files you need to get into the debug menu of K-S2:
Enable Debug Menu

Let me know if it works..
05-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #727

Sorry, can't get to that link.

05-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Botters Quote
Sorry, can't get to that link.
I think you need more posts.
05-05-2017, 06:09 AM   #729

QuoteOriginally posted by Duc-Driver Quote
@ Botters, here you can find the files you need to get into the debug menu of K-S2:
Enable Debug Menu

Let me know if it works..
I did find the dropbox link in your signature; but no luck getting the k-s2 into debug mode. Thx for the files. I did notice your *.lns files you have collected, but if i'm reading the forms correctly those are all going to be specific to each lens (I can't just try to load the lns file to my lens right?)

thx again.
05-07-2017, 02:27 AM   #730
Forum Member

Lensroms are mostly the same (for one type of lens). There're only differences if there was focus adjustment directly by pentax.
So you can try load other lensrom to your lens (if it's the same lens).

Do you have newest firmeware on your K-S2?
The storage-card door was open and you pushed the menu button while turning the camera on?
05-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #731
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duc-Driver Quote
Lensroms are mostly the same (for one type of lens). There're only differences if there was focus adjustment directly by pentax.
So you can try load other lensrom to your lens (if it's the same lens).

Do you have newest firmeware on your K-S2?
The storage-card door was open and you pushed the menu button while turning the camera on?
There have been reports contrary to this where people forgot to backup their Rom and the lens wasn't useable with several roms tried And the ones that worked weren't perfect.

I haven't ever attempted using another Rom.
05-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #732
Forum Member

I did that with my 50-135 because it had backfocus.
I've got 4 different lensroms for the 50-135 and tested all of them - and luckily there was one that fitted perfect for my lens and body.

Otherwise the camera do a backup automatically when uploading a rom (my camera did it).
05-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #733
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is there a camera go/no go list?
Near I can tell, my *istDS, K30 and K3ii will NOT work for this correct?

I can get into debug without any issues on the 2 newer camera's but cannot download the Lns file on either, Nor can I read the hex values from the lens in the editor.
I am able to download camera data files though, so I'm fairly certain everything is working OK.
05-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
Is there a camera go/no go list?
Near I can tell, my *istDS, K30 and K3ii will NOT work for this correct?

I can get into debug without any issues on the 2 newer camera's but cannot download the Lns file on either, Nor can I read the hex values from the lens in the editor.
I am able to download camera data files though, so I'm fairly certain everything is working OK.
There are a number of cameras and methods and while I have been planning to draw that info together it hasn't happened. Off the top of my head I can tell you that K10D's with older firmware work and those with newer firmware don't. (I don't recall the break point) at least without using PKTether. Using PKTether I think a K-5 works. I know that K100D and K100D super can be made to work without any use of PKTether, and the easiest of these is the K100D because you don't have to load an SD with the script to open debug mode. I'm sure there are many other cameras that work - just my quick bit of info.
05-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #735
Veteran Member

weard problem

When trying to access the debug menu I get stuck with this message (pic one) if I cancel this out by using the menu button I can only get this far in the debug mode (pic 2)
This is the K100D

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Randy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
BlackBerry Passport  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
BlackBerry Passport  Photo