Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #766
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm afraid I have no experience using the pktether method.

12-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #767
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm afraid I have no experience using the pktether method.
It was a little difficult to follow, but I got it figured out. I didn't realize the EEPROM file saved to the SD card when I hit OK. Works great on my K7, and am about to try it on my K3's.

One last question while I still remember how to reverse everything I did.

The whole C0 to 80 thing. I had a bunch of FF's after I started getting down into it.

There was no mention of FF, just C0 to 80. So, everywhere that was FF, I changed to 80 as the instructions said, including the READ/WRITE part. It read FF, but I wrote it to 80. I assume this is correct since the lens now has autofocus again, but thought I would ask.

Edit: Works great on a K3. I cannot comment on speed comparison because it's been a year since it quit working.
12-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No need to change the FF's - only the C0's also I do not change instances of C0 outside of the column "03" area. I have tried both ways and feel like not changing the outliers (typically 0 or 2) does not cause any negative behavior but on occasion changing it seemed to do something odd to the lens focusing. I could be just a victim of happenstance.
12-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #769
Veteran Member

No need to change the FF's - only the C0's also I do not change instances of C0 outside of the column "03" area. I have tried both ways and feel like not changing the outliers (typically 0 or 2) does not cause any negative behavior but on occasion changing it seemed to do something odd to the lens focusing. I could be just a victim of happenstance.
Thanks. If I notice anything strange, i'll go back and fix the FF's.

01-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #770

Hello everyone!!

Thinking of buying a DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, wich has the SDM issue, I'm reading and attempting to get the Debug Menu to work for two days... Finally, I got it to work on my old K10D, with 1.30 firmware. ...Finally...

But now I've got anther question :

QuoteOriginally posted by clover Quote
[...]

Here is the all instruction

How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX

[...]

If everything OK, it will show you all options avaible on Debug mode :
Beware to not change a thing you do not need ( once again, all this are made at your own risk)

Use the pad to go to the line
LENS EEPROM SAVE

Make a saved file of the EEPROM to allow you to reverse the process in cas of troubles

{{STEP 3}}
To modify the EEPROM, you can
-Either access the LENSEEP.LNS file you create by saving the file, I ask you to use Notepad++ Notepad++ Home
-Or go to the line :
LENS EEPROM READ/WRITE
You can change the code line by line

[...]
Actually, in my Debug Menu, I don't have the exact same lines in red!
Instead I do have :
-EEPROM SAVE to FILE
-EEPROM READ/WRITE
OR
-LENS ROM SAVE to FILE
-LENS ROM READ:WRITE

As you can see I do have : OR the EEPROM mention, OR the LENS mention... Wich one do I have to choose from???

Thank you for reply!
And sorry fr my bad english..
01-05-2018, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #771
Forum Member

You need the lens mention 😉
01-06-2018, 12:39 AM   #772
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As far as I recall the k10d only works for conversion with older firmware (EDIT up to 1.30; 1.31 is a bridge too far.) but I can't recall if I'm correct or not.

You can always look at the info over here: Attempt to simplify SDM to Screw Drive Conversion.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-08-2018 at 01:10 PM.
01-06-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #773

Thank you for your replies!!
Actually it does work with firmware v1.30!
01-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #774
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by néonaloj Quote
Awesome!
01-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #775
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by néonaloj Quote
Correct. But it does not with v1.31, so I kept my K10D on v1.30.
05-02-2018, 05:22 AM   #776
Veteran Member

Is it possible to rollback the K10D firmware to V1.30?
05-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #777

Photos: Albums
I have a DA* 16-50mm that had the SDM die. I followed the instructions in this thread and successfully converted it to use the camera's screw drive. Now, my DA* 60-250mm has had its SDM die in the same manner. I know in the past, that people said the 60-250mm couldn't be converted, but I wanted to check back and see if anyone has converted a 60-250mm. I searched the site and couldn't find anything, but hoping that someone has figured it out.

For now, my expensive DA* 60-250mm is only good as a paperweight.
05-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #778
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooma Quote
I have a DA* 16-50mm that had the SDM die. I followed the instructions in this thread and successfully converted it to use the camera's screw drive. Now, my DA* 60-250mm has had its SDM die in the same manner. I know in the past, that people said the 60-250mm couldn't be converted, but I wanted to check back and see if anyone has converted a 60-250mm. I searched the site and couldn't find anything, but hoping that someone has figured it out.

For now, my expensive DA* 60-250mm is only good as a paperweight.
Sorry but no one other than one person in Russia has reported in with a successfully converted 60-250. That particular lens conversion is odd since attempts to replicate it even using the lens rom file from it have failed. It is assumed some type of additional modification was made that we do not understand and no one has been able to get a contact who knows what they did.

So 60-250 f/4 manual focus it is. Frankly while I understand wanting it to AF - manual focus isn't the end of the world. It's still a stunning lens with superb image quality - but I understand the frustration!
05-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #779

Sorry but no one other than one person in Russia has reported in with a successfully converted 60-250. That particular lens conversion is odd since attempts to replicate it even using the lens rom file from it have failed. It is assumed some type of additional modification was made that we do not understand and no one has been able to get a contact who knows what they did.

So 60-250 f/4 manual focus it is. Frankly while I understand wanting it to AF - manual focus isn't the end of the world. It's still a stunning lens with superb image quality - but I understand the frustration!
Manual focus is okay when I do landscapes, but probably won't be viable for quick shots at weddings and gatherings. Fortunately, I also have an older Pentax ist D body to put it on. The ist doesn't support SDM, so it converts to screwdrive automatically.
05-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #780
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooma Quote
Fortunately, I also have an older Pentax ist D body to put it on. The ist doesn't support SDM, so it converts to screwdrive automatically.
There might be another option for your paperweight.

There is some reason to believe that the ultrasonic motor hasn't failed but that either it or the 'one-way rotational transfer mechanism' is jammed.

If so, this technique may fix the problem (at least until next time).