Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

I got another lens today and other musings

I am filling out my new prime collection. So far I am beyond loving my lenses. I got a 15mm limited a while back and was completely blown away by it. Today I unboxed my 70mm limited. I have only taken a few snaps with it since I just got home from a work trip... one shot just blew me away. I stopped down some and turn the flash on of my k5 and MAN! it was just awesomeness.

I have the 40mm on the way, but santa claus is delivering that one so I have to wait.

I have thought it over and I am willing to give the 21mm a shot. I hear a lot of things about that lens some being mixed reviews. The 15mm as completely awesome as it is is really wide and the 21mm will plug a big hole right there. I envision myself using the 21mm walking around the streets of some 3rd world country... I have pretty much decided that I will get a 21mm but I have to wait until next month because I have ran up a major bill on my credit card. Then again i could just order it and in the end it will all even out.

I have decided that I will get the 21mm at some point but when... I am not sure. I have noticed with these limited lenses the hoods are built in. The 15mm's hood is great. I like it. The 70mm's hood is kind of weird. Its not stationary enough for my tastes (but the lens is just awesome)...

I will find out soon enough about the 40mm and how nice it is...I am not sure how it's hood attaches though. Same question about the 21mm.

I am just thinking out loud here.

I recently sold almost all of my manual focus lenses except one. It is a 50mm f1.4 that has been professionally cleaned and calibrated and all that before I bought it. I am not sure if I need to get a lens to plug the hole in between 40mm and 70mm.

Is going from a 40mm to a 50mm really going to be that big of a difference? Am I really going to be shooting at f1.7 or f1.4? The current Dstar 55mm lens is right in between the 40 and 70 as to focal length, but really? will I use it? Also its shall we say... expensive.

As I stated already, I have already determined that I will get the 21mm pretty much no matter what. It just might be a month or two before I do. On the other end of things though...I am just not sure if I need (or will use) a 50 or 55mm lens.

Yes its cool to have a f1.4 lens, but then again I have rarely if ever seen anyone say any lens is super sharp wide open'.... most people I think are stopping down anyway. I also keep hearing about "SDM failure" whatever that means...all I know is its expensive. I guess the Dstar lens doesn't use the screw AF like the other lenses do.

At the end of the day, the 21mm will be in my kit before too long (not sure when, but I better let my credit card cool down some first)...but on the other end between the 40 and 70...not sure if anything is needed there or not... certainly not $700 worth I know that much.

12-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have your exact situation, but I'll leave my thoughts.

I have a M40 F2.8, M50 F1.7, and a Sigma 50 F1.4 (HSM). I got the M50 first, and I used it a little on my k-x, but not so much after. I got my Sigma 50 F1.4 second (well, after a few other things), and now that is my favorite lens. The F1.4 is just purely fantastic for what I shoot (pics of my girlfriend, food indoors, pics of my girlfriend indoors, etc). I don't even mind the size - surely the bigger the lens, the manlier I am.

Then I got the M40 F2.8, and I really love the size. I dislike the manual focus on my k-x, but its size was just great. I think - if I had a k-01 or if I had the DA 40 Ltd, then I would use it for my street photography. My Sigma 50 would be relegated to more serious events (pics of my girlfriend). So it's not so much the focal length between 50mm and 40mm, but the sheer design of the two lenses.

Also - as far as sharp wide open goes - my Sigma 50:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8315/8037491972_fa1e425e92_o.jpg <-full size

It's good enough, especially if you aren't going full size. With some sharpening and post processing, the DA*55 is plenty useful at 1.4.

Last edited by JinDesu; 12-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.
12-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 70mm Ltd is a real gem. Compare it to the Rokinon 85mm (that you recently sold me) for size and ability. And the 70mm can autofocus!
12-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The DA 70mm Ltd is a real gem. Compare it to the Rokinon 85mm (that you recently sold me) for size and ability. And the 70mm can autofocus!

So far I am extremely impressed. Lets just say that.

12-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
JinDesu---

The design of the lens is partly what is attracting me to the DA Limiteds. They are small. Very small relative to other lenses. When I travel around I can easily put them in a small bag and it won't be a problem. I could walk around all day long with a bag of DA lenses and it won't feel like I have hardly anything.

On top of that the lenses so far are very sharp.

I have only been in photography at all for 6 months. Before that it was only a dream. I am really a rank amateur so I consider myself to know next to nothing about things. I know more than nothing but I am a newbie but I feel like I am learning a lot. I am evolving in the things I like/want....but I am breaking towards the direction of quality. Before I would use the fast mode on my point and shoot (all I had at the time) and just snap anything that moved or wasn't nailed down (or was nailed down).

Now I am deliberately trying to compose my shots and come up with something artistic. Primes seem to me to be way more sharp than the zoom lenses I have been using. I am just learning more and more. In practical use the lenses are smaller, lighter and sharper by far. The only downside I see to using primes is you have to swap lenses more often.
12-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Or move your legs more - which isn't a bad thing. I walk around with my 50 1.4 all the time.
12-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
a) I will find out soon enough about the 40mm and how nice it is...I am not sure how it's hood attaches though. Same question about the 21mm.

b)....I am not sure if I need to get a lens to plug the hole in between 40mm and 70mm.

c)Is going from a 40mm to a 50mm really going to be that big of a difference?
a) The 40 has a screw-on hood that tapers to a 31.5mm (I think) screw-in lens cap that some people replace with a film canister top or regular pinch lens cap. I tried that, but like the screw-in security.

The 21 has a twist-on flat hood with a rectangular cut out and slip-on cap. If you use the hood it will require a smaller (43mm?) filter than the normal 49mm of the other Ltds. Or, remove the hood and use the 49mm filter.

b) I would not do it, and actually sold a 50/1.4 which was unimpressive.*

c) No, but if you had something f1.4 or better that may serve some purpose.*

*Somewhat contradictory and also substantiative, I got a 30 f1.4, which is not needed focal-lengthwise, but sounded like it has possibilities :-)

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-14-2012 at 06:20 PM.
12-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I started with a DA40 and Sigma 15 (fisheye), then stepped up to the DA70. Those Limiteds are indeed amazing, and the DA15 would have been nice but the Sigma has a few good features as well, with only a bit of a size penalty (distortion too, but it's fun!). I feel no need for a 50mm and sold my Sigma 50/2.8 macro to pay for Limiteds ; I also have a 55 if I feel a need, an old Rikenon f/2.2 XR with five blades. I doubt it's worth keeping but hardly worth the shipping cost to sell, so it might as well stay a while. Many can't live without a sub-f/2 lens, but I'm not among them.

As to the 21, I like the concept but the SMC-A 24mm and a Rikenon 28 are holding that range down well enough. The Rikenon has given me so many great images before the 24 arrived, it too is hard to put out to pasture - and with the K-01 it may be even easier to use.
12-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

For an even smaller DA 70, I used a 49 -> 28mm step down ring, and a 28mm pinch cap. There might be the slightest amount of vignetting under just the right circumstances, but most of the time it worked like a charm. It wasn't the right focal length for me, though.
12-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Another thing to mention about the DA 21 if you are buying new - the current price of $539 isn't going to last - regular (list) price is $646.95. No time limit is listed with this price but I would guess it will be over by either Christmas or Dec 31st.
12-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh man.. you guys quit talking about cool lenses! My wish list keeps growing! Never thought of using this in place of the Rokinon 85mm, but now about to put that one on ebay and grab this.
12-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The opening of the "hood" of the DA 40mm Ltd. is actually 30.5mm. I'd like the DA 70mm to share the same cap, so I use a 49-37mm followed by a 37-30.5mm stepdown ring (I still can't find a 49-30.5mm).

The photo above shows a DA 21mm with the same kind of "hood," but it vignetted badly and I had to remove the 37-30.5mm ring. It is now like this, with just a 49-37mm ring:

For the DFA100mm and DFA50mm macro, I use a single 49-28mm stepdown ring: