Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's with Adorama's stocking system?

WTF? These cannot possibly be in stock, but nowhere is that indicated. How does one know if anything else is actually in stock? Inquiring minds, and all that.

21720 Pentax SMC P-DA 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens with Hood.

21730 Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Wide Angle Auto Focus Lens

02-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #2

I don't think they do real time inventory. If you read their shipping FAQ it says something along the lines of "we try our best to keep items in stock..." BHPhotoVideo on the other hand does appear to do real time inventory management. (Not a knock against Adorama; I use both and have never had any problems.)
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
I don't think they do real time inventory. If you read their shipping FAQ it says something along the lines of "we try our best to keep items in stock..." BHPhotoVideo on the other hand does appear to do real time inventory management. (Not a knock against Adorama; I use both and have never had any problems.)
Correct, they do not. I learned that the hard way by ordering items and repeatedly being advised afterwards that the item was on back order. I thought I could avoid this by calling and confirming with the sales person that the item I was interested in was in stock before placing my order. He happily said it was, and alas, that item too was back ordered.

Thus I solved the problem by not doing business with them again.
02-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rover Quote
Correct, they do not. I learned that the hard way by ordering items and repeatedly being advised afterwards that the item was on back order. I thought I could avoid this by calling and confirming with the sales person that the item I was interested in was in stock before placing my order. He happily said it was, and alas, that item too was back ordered.

I also learned the hard way when I ordered my k100d. About a week after I ordered it, I was expecting it to arrive... then I started to wonder... went to the site and it said it was expected to ship in 3-6 WEEKS!!!!! I called and threw a hissy fit, they claimed they e-mailed me to let me know. Funny how I received all their other e-mails, but not that one.

I canceled the order and went with Abes of Maine instead, and had my k100d in no time!

02-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by rover Quote

Dear 'Rover'

I've just picked up on this thread, and am extremely concerned by what I am reading. Of course you'll appreciate that from time-to-time items won't always be in stock - although ideally, adequate forward-planning would avoid this.
Of greater concern is the situation in which a sales representative informed that the item is in stock - but for some reason placed it on back order. That doesn't make any sense to me, and I would like to investigate the matter.
Could you please, therefore, contact me: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com, with your order number, and if possible, the name of the representative who served you.
I would also like to offer you a voucher against your next purchase from Adorama, which I will need to send directly to your email address.

Until I have looked into this matter & have the full facts, I can only apologise, and assure you that however commonplace such practices may have been in the past, Adorama in the process of undergoing wide-ranging changes, which are planned to improve and enhance the experience of purchasing at Adorama Camera.
To this end, I have been appointed recently as the Customer Service Ambassador for Adorama, as part of this new strategic plan for the company.
My role is to pick up on sales, website & policy issues, and where possible, address them, to ensure complete satisfaction when you purchase from Adorama Camera (whether on-line, in the store or by telephone).
If you have any queries, problems, issues or gripes, please do not hesitate to get in touch - I can't promise over night resolution, but be assured that each & every customer is important to us at Adorama, and I will always do my best to ensure that you are happy with your purchase.

Best wishes

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
02-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
I also learned the hard way when I ordered my k100d. About a week after I ordered it, I was expecting it to arrive... then I started to wonder... went to the site and it said it was expected to ship in 3-6 WEEKS!!!!! I called and threw a hissy fit, they claimed they e-mailed me to let me know. Funny how I received all their other e-mails, but not that one.

I canceled the order and went with Abes of Maine instead, and had my k100d in no time!
Dear Lapeen

As I just wrote to Rover (above), I've just picked up on this thread, and am extremely concerned by what I am reading.
Could you please also contact me: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com, with your order number, and if possible, the name of the representative who served you.
I will then be able to send you a voucher against your next purchase from Adorama, directly to your email address.

In the meantime, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you; the changes that are being planned and implemented will need to ensure that the experience of purchasing at Adorama Camera is significantly improved and enhanced if we are meet the needs of our customers.
As outlined above, my role is Customer Service Ambassador for Adorama, as part of the new strategic plan.
If you have any issues that need to be addressed, please do contact me - each & every customer is important to us at Adorama, and I will always do my best to ensure that you are happy not only with your purchase, but also the purchasing process.

Best wishes

Helen Oster
02-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow. Was not expecting THAT!
02-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #8

I placed an order several weeks ago and it ended up on back order but it was well worth the wait I suppose. 3 4 gig Extreme III's for 38 bucks after MIR isn't bad, of course I am waiting on Sandisk to accept the MIR. I may shop with them again in the future. I really have no gripes.

02-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #9

Helen, thank you for your reply. My experiences were a few years ago and water well under the bridge. Though my experinces with Adorama were not the best, it is also true that many others have had very good ones.

Again, thank you.
02-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #10

In keeping with the original post:
they might actually be in stock,
I pre-ordered the 35ltd macro from Calumet, and when I called to check on it today they said it was expected in a Pentax shipment due to arrive tommorow. (to them)
We'll see.
02-19-2008, 12:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well, I just ordered a 10-17 with overnight delivery (flying to Hong Kong Friday). We'll see how it goes...
03-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #12

Hi All

Well, almost 4 months into my new role at Adorama Camera, and now busy collating all the customer feedback for my first review. Just wanted to keep those of you following this thread that the issue of the stocking system at Adorama is one that will be addressed in my review - from there it is up to the Strategic Review Team to look at how this can be taken forward.

The new-look Adorama website should be up and running any day soon; we've introduced a number of new features based on customer feedback, so hopefully it will provide a better all round shopping experience.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas, please don't hesitate to get in touch: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Best wishes

Helen Oster