Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Here Please help choose my first Lense for K-01

Just got K-01. Came with the 40mm lens which is nice but has limited range.

I'm thinking of getting a Tamaron 200mm or 300mm lense... Is this going to be a problem? I just got the K-01 and the Tamaron lenses seem to offer some nice specs for the money.

Looking at these 2 lenses.

Tamron AF 28mm-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI Lens w/Hood f/Pentax #AF061P700 -USA- AF061P700

Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI-II LD AF Zoom Lens AF014P700

Please help. How is the image quality with the Tamaron lenses on K-01. I just got the K-01 and if it doesn't work out I'm going to return to vendor.

12-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You could try looking at our lens reviews. It uses the K mount like the D-SLRs

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/Tamron-Zoom-Lenses-for-Pentax.html
12-17-2012, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what are you going to shoot? that much range is overkill if you don't plan on shooting anything at considerable distances. Typically, the more a lens can zoom, the bigger the loss in image quality. That being said, there's no such thing really as a bad lens nowadays, they're either okay, great or amazing

With that being said, the 28-300mm lens was designed for film and FF cameras, so you won't get so much of a wideangle with it. The second option was designed specifically for an APS-C sized sensor, such as the one found in the k-01. As a result, it might not seem as long, but you get quite a bit more range on the wide end of things, making it the more versatile of the two.

Personally, I'd get neither. Here are a few lenses I would consider getting for myself if I had to start all over again:
For pure image quality and low light shooting - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
For general purpose zoom - Pentax 17-70mm f/4 OR Pentax 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
For cheapness and being good enough 90% of the time - Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 *the DA-L, II or WR versions

If I seriously needed the long range (and didn't have all the money in the world ), I would personally get the cheap DA-L 18-55mm along with affordable the DA-L 55-300mm lenses by pentax.

just my 2 cents, hope it helps!
12-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I personally use Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 for common everyday shooting and the price they around $200 and worth it in my opinion.

12-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
what are you going to shoot? that much range is overkill if you don't plan on shooting anything at considerable distances. Typically, the more a lens can zoom, the bigger the loss in image quality. That being said, there's no such thing really as a bad lens nowadays, they're either okay, great or amazing

With that being said, the 28-300mm lens was designed for film and FF cameras, so you won't get so much of a wideangle with it. The second option was designed specifically for an APS-C sized sensor, such as the one found in the k-01. As a result, it might not seem as long, but you get quite a bit more range on the wide end of things, making it the more versatile of the two.

If I seriously needed the long range (and didn't have all the money in the world ), I would personally get the cheap DA-L 18-55mm along with affordable the DA-L 55-300mm lenses by pentax.

just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Thanks.

I have a DA 18-55mm. Want something for taking photos from a distance such as a big city from a hill. Going to San Francisco in a few weeks and want something with some Zoom for taking photos of the architecture from far away.
12-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
I personally use Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 for common everyday shooting and the price they around $200 and worth it in my opinion.
Have the DA 18-55mm already so I can't afford that right now. I'm leaning towards the Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI-II LD AF Zoom Lens AF014P700. Seems like it may be a better match for the K-01 for image quality and lower price than the 300mm I posted.
12-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For overall image quality a DA or DA-L 55-300, or a used F70-210/4-5.6 would be a better bet.
12-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How would you use a long telephoto without a viewfinder? I doubt I could without a tripod.

12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
How would you use a long telephoto without a viewfinder? I doubt I could without a tripod.

I'll eyeball the display i guess. I have no other choice.

I also have a small and larger tripod as well.

Appreciate all the feedback. Hope to make a decision soon. I'm still leaning towards the Tamaron because on paper the specs look better than some of the similar priced Pentax lenses.
12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lenses with that much of a zoom range like 28-200mm are compromises. They sacrifice optical quality for having that much of a range in one lens. If you mostly want this additional lens for the extra reach, and you already have other lenses that cover the wide angle range, you can get much better results from something that sacrifices some range on the wide end as these tend to have better optical quality.

I have the Pentax F 70-210. It's really nice optically, and can be had for <$100 used. But its AF is a bit clunky when used inline view mode on my K-r so I'm not sure it's be the greatest choice for a K-01 which only has live view.

The Pentax DA 55-300 is also pretty nice and I'd wager it would work better with the K-01's live view AF. It comes in two versions. The DA has a green stripe on the barrel, a metal lens mount, and quick shift AF. This lets you manually focus the lens without having to flip the camera body to MF. On the K-01, you could sue the camera's AF to get you in the ballpark, and then tweak with MF if needed. There's a cheaper DA L version which loses quick shift, steps down to a plastic lens mount, and has a silver stripe on the barrel. It's got the same optics as the DA version, but is cheapened because it's typically sold in kits rather than on its own. You can however get it new from various online camera stores (who also sell on ebay) like Adorama.
12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #11

Use the DB

Well to start you have a great prime in the XS40. Most of the zooms will struggle to equal that quality, unless you spend some serious bucks.
The lens database is a great resource. Start by looking at the lens tables, balancing the rating, the number of reviews and the cost. You may be surprised at some of the lenses that come out on top. Some of the Russian lenses have great ratings for the price. The Voigtlanders are superior primes and sometimes reasonably priced. In a longer lens at a good price the 90 -105mm macros tend to be very sharp, and add the wonderful world of closeup. I just picked up a Samyang 85mm 1.4 (the Vivitar version) and absolutely love it; not a real telephoto, but great IQ and the speed makes it usable handheld. Manual focus is very easy with this camera, so don't ignore used lenses, aperture linking is more important (lenses with an "A" setting,) and even then more for convenience.
Given the crop factor and that you dont have anything but the 40XS, look at a 100mm macro, which will give an effective 150mm. For a wide try for low 20s although the 28mms are easy to find at a good price. Saving up for a better lens is worth it, glass can far outlive the camera, I'm on my 3rd Pentax body and it just gets better.
12-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter

With all respect, don't make lenses such as the Tamron 18-200mm worse than they actually are. Yes, superzooms involve compromises and yes, you can buy better - and much more expensive - lenses. 200mm is not "too much" for an APS-C camera, and especially for a beginner, that does not yet know where his future favourite focal ranges will be, the 18-200mm is a cost effective way to start getting his experiences.

SonDa5, you can find some representative sample shots in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/168329-tamron-1...r-beginer.html

The ´Tamron 18-200mm was my first purchase when I started in DSLR (other than 18-55mm kit lens). I used it a lot for a number of years, and although I don't use it much / at all today, I never regretted that purchase.
12-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF. If I'm not mistaken, you post at the[H] as well..I'm a mod there.
AS The others have said, why not get two lenses covering that FL? Will be easier to manage.
12-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Be aware also that sometimes a good deal can be had by getting a Tamron sold under a different name, such as ProMaster. I know I've seen some of the super-zooms (like you're looking at here) under that label.

Nevertheless, I'd also recommend splitting the range into 2 zooms instead of one, unless you don't want to ever change lenses. There are times when this is appropriate, such as travel, but in general you don't get an ILC if you never want to change lenses.

Last edited by DSims; 12-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.
12-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #15

I've got the Tamron AF 28mm-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI and I don't use it much. It is OK, about as good as the lower-priced Pentax zooms, and you can find it for under $100. You'd probably want something wider to go with it.