Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yup, the flange is wide enough for sure, however do you notice the tiny "drop" or if you wanna call it a lip two thirds of the way in? This is exactly the thickness of the pentax OEM m42 adapter. If that part is firm against the adapter, but the rest isnt firm against camera mount, the wobble will be there. The only question is if that difference is significant enough to cause a wobble. This is why I was hoping someone who has the lens or has used it might be able to answer the question. For reference, this is the base of a takumar

Clearly not as wide, however it is perfectly flat. When you screw it in all way the mount is firm against the camera and there is no wobble.

12-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Yup, the flange is wide enough for sure, however do you notice the tiny "drop" or if you wanna call it a lip two thirds of the way in?
I see what you mean. The rear of the lens appear to be stepped with the inner-most step being the most prominent. It is that inner step that is supposed to engage the camera's mount face. It may be wide enough to prevent wobble.

I know of one forum member who champions this lens. Ping "Suro". He may be able to tell you what you need to know.

Steve
12-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rest assured, the Helios 44M series is the same:

And I can tell you for sure that it doesn't wobble. It's just a bit wider than the adapter.
12-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I know of one forum member who champions this lens. Ping "Suro". He may be able to tell you what you need to know.
Thanks Steve. I definitely will!
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Rest assured, the Helios 44M series is the same:
Thanks! They do appear the same indeed.

03-20-2015, 04:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
To answer your question: Helios 40-2 is such a big lens, that it will surely be a snug fit. It might actually even hit the pentaprism housing on Pentax DSLRs. Check out the Soviet lens club for more details from people who actually own the lens.
And slightly off topic: I also had some issues with the M42 adapters, so please keep us posted as to how the new ones will fit.

Exactly. Helios 40-2 is so far my first M42 lens which covers the camera contacts with it's flange. This leads me to ask how far should I screw the Helios inside the adapter... And if there's no risk of damage for the camera contacts and/or lens lock pin.

(the adapter which I'm using is in this style...
)
03-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
This leads me to ask how far should I screw the Helios inside the adapter
You screw it in until the mount face on the lens snugs against the mount face of the body. If you are concerned about the lens lock pin, depress the lens release button when mounting/un-mounting the lens. There should be no risk to the mount contacts.

Steve
03-21-2015, 04:40 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You screw it in until the mount face on the lens snugs against the mount face of the body. If you are concerned about the lens lock pin, depress the lens release button when mounting/un-mounting the lens. There should be no risk to the mount contacts.

Steve

OK, I'm glad to hear that. Thanks.