Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #1

Tell me your WR story

Has there been times when the WR of the body and lens has been worth a bag of gold? If there has, please share the story Here's one of mine:

Yesterday I went out with my K-5, DA*16-50 and tripod and planned to do some long exposure shooting. I haven't really used my tripod much as I have always relied on the SR but some of the long exposure shots I saw recently inspired me to try. I decided to try some car trails as there is a highway nearby.

I decided to climb to the hill nearby and seek for a good spot. It was dark, half a meter of snow and moderately cold (-7 Celsius). I didn't find good spot because of trees but decided to try as I was already there. I set up my tripod and attach my camera to ball head (camera was with D-BG4). After that I started to adjust the tripod foots to better position as it was quite steep spot. After a while I heard "click" sound and tripod felt suspiciously light. Then I realised that camera has fallen. First thought was "Ok, that was it. Camera and lens were gone." Then I realised the WR and the fact that Pentax DSLR's have never broke down in my use, even I accidentally dropped one from the cliff (because camera bag was open).

I started to dig it up and found it all over the snow. I cleaned it up and the power was still on. I took a picture and everything worked fine. DA*16-50 autofocused fine. I decided to continue shooting and after some time the snow that went to little holes began to turn to ice. Some buttons and dials started to jam so I needed to use some force to make them work. DA*16-50 didn't zoom to 16mm as there was snow/ice somewhere in the barrel. I took few more pictures in different spots and returned home after the batteries depleted (which they did quite quickly). On the way I turned DA*16-50 to 16mm and heard quite a crackle in the zoom barrel. To be honest, it sounded like something broke.

I got back home and detached the lens and put it drying. I let it be unused overnight and today I tried it again with K-5 and everything worked like new. Sometimes WR is just good to be there And next time I make sure the camera is well attached to ball head before adjusting the tripod foots. Pictures were not that good but that was not because of equipment but because of the 30cm behind the camera. Here is one nevertheless:

Afterwards I thought that I should have taken photo of the camera and the lens when full covered with snow but to be honest there were other things in mind then

12-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I originally bought a K10D back in 2007, and weather resistance was one of the features that attracted me that camera. I carried the K10D fitted with a Tamron 18-250 (not a weather resistant lens) over the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea in mid 2008, and my relatively new K5 (with the same trusty 18-250) over the Overland Track in Tasmania in 2011. The camera doesn't seem to have a problem with being wet. This is a shot from the Overland Track, and those are raindrops on the lens. Had to dry out the lens every night, but the camera never missed a beat.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As you say, OP, WR is great to have. I don't really think much about walking around with my camera in all weathers, and I guess that is testament enough. I've almost forgotten that you can't do that with other cameras.

This picture (it's a 'snap' rather than a considered photo) was taken on a beach near Mallaig in Scotland. It has taken us about 8 hours to drive there, and by the time we'd put our tent up it was raining. But after 8 hours in the car you need a good walk, so we went for one anyway. With a lesser camera I might have no pictures of it at all

12-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just an accidental light smudging in clay when I slipped on the shore of a fishing pond. Nothing serious but the camera was hanging in my Blackrapid and the left side was dipped. I'm glad that the lid was completely shut on that side as the strap whole was completely filled.

12-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
Pictures were not that good but that was not because of equipment but because of the 30cm behind the camera. Here is one nevertheless:
Jouni, that is a beautiful and evocative image.
I love the tonal gradations in the snow and sky.
12-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The worst I've done is bring the K20D and WR kit lens under a waterrfall to snap some pictures in the spray. Canikon shooterrs near the fall were oogling me while trying to protect their cameras. when I walked away from the fall, one of them asked me if I was crazy.

My camera has been sprayed by salt water, sand, snow, dust, and it has never failed.
12-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The one time I have photographed a wedding (my wife's cousin) it was pouring rain, actually it was the rain that came right at the beginning of Hurricane Irene. They were getting married outside, under a tent, but they had too many people for the size of the tent they had rented. I ran around outside of the tent with my k5 and 18-135 not worrying in the slightest about the weather. A techy family friend at one point grabbed me said "Watch out for your camera!" I said, "its weather sealed..." and continued my business. On another note, I was using a sigma external flash and it did totally fine in the rain as well. Pretty good build quality.
12-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My pentax has been through salt spray, rain, drowned, fine sand and it keeps on taking wonderful pictures with great DR. No brainer if you are covering stories or events outdoor.