Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Keebler

Sigma OS 70-200 F2.8 - good buy or a new model coming?

Hi folks,

So I was taking or trying to take good sports photos with my F4.5 300 and it just wasn't doing the trick. I can never seem to get a good photo...or just a few.

Then I was reading the reviews and threads about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and I see it's on sale most places.

Does anyone know if this means a new version is coming out or just a sale because of the holiday season?

Cheers,
Keebler

12-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
Hi folks,

So I was taking or trying to take good sports photos with my F4.5 300 and it just wasn't doing the trick. I can never seem to get a good photo...or just a few.

Then I was reading the reviews and threads about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and I see it's on sale most places.

Does anyone know if this means a new version is coming out or just a sale because of the holiday season?

Cheers,
Keebler
It's just a special holiday deal. The lens is fairly recent, though I would expect to see a new version in 1-2 years as Sigma starts unveiling their new Art, Contemporary and Sports lens lineups.

I reviewed the lens last year and apart from the fact that the focusing ring rotates the wrong way, it really is a great lens, both in terms of IQ and autofocus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's just a special holiday deal. The lens is fairly recent, though I would expect to see a new version in 1-2 years as Sigma starts unveiling their new Art, Contemporary and Sports lens lineups.

I reviewed the lens last year and apart from the fact that the focusing ring rotates the wrong way, it really is a great lens, both in terms of IQ and autofocus.
Thanks Adam. I've got a call into the local shop.
12-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam. I've got a call into the local shop.
I thought about buying one but I am not what the point of having a lens with OS is when you have SR built into the body? I opted for the Tamron 70-200 2.8, especially with the price differential. I had one of the older HSM models and it was a fantastic performer on my D200 and D300.

12-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I presume you mean the F* or FA*300? What sport? What camera body? I get good results on K-5 or K-5 IIs, and others use the DA*300 with good results.
12-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
I thought about buying one but I am not what the point of having a lens with OS is when you have SR built into the body? I opted for the Tamron 70-200 2.8, especially with the price differential. I had one of the older HSM models and it was a fantastic performer on my D200 and D300.
At >300mm, the 50-500mm's OS is a bit more effective than SR. In general, though, it's redundant, which is why future Pentax versions of Sigma lenses won't have OS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
treabeard ,I agree about paying for OS when you dont need it . With the price difference of about $450 it seems to be a waste . I am considering the Tamron 70-200 2.8 . What is your opinion of the lens ?

12-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My first copy was sharp at 2.8 and I had no focus issues whatsoever. It was actually professionally cleaned after being submerged in water and after 2 years it still performed as it should. I was going to use it for sports but that never materialized. The copy I just bought from this forum looks to be another sharp one. I will let you know. I just can't see spending money on an OS lens when Pentax has SR and it works wonderfully! I had no problems with my K-5 and the Tamron tracking sandpipers and various other fast moving birds on the beach. I also used it to shoot Ospreys and Skippers and it performed flawlessly.
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Keebler

Thanks Treebeard. I was thinking the same thing, but there are some other differences which could make up the difference.

Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - The Verdict - PentaxForums.com

One for me would be the faster autofocus as I'll be using this for my kids sports' (cross country, futsal, soccer).

D Sims, it's the regular Pentax 55-300 F4-5.6. I could very well not having the settings right, but I find by the time I can get it focused, I either miss a shot or it's not focused properly. This is for Futsal (indoor soccer in a gym - very fast game; indoor soccer in a dome, outdoor soccer and cross country).

Cheers,
Keebler
12-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I saw that too, but right now the Sigma's price tag is out of my price range. I will wait until next Spring to see the prices of used ones.
12-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You could also look at the Tamron 70-200/2.8. It doesn't have HSM like the Sigma, but the camera should be able to autofocus more reliably than you're getting with the 55-300, because of the brighter f/2.8 aperture. Your 55-300 has a max aperture of f/5.8 at 300mm so with the 70-200/2.8 you've got over 2 stops more light hitting the AF sensor.
12-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Keebler

Thanks Msatlas. That's my thought - either lens will give me a better f stop to work with.
12-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's been over 2 years since I sold the DA55-300, so it's hard to make a good comparison to what I currently have. But the lenses I mentioned have all worked well for cross country. Based on other's reports the Sigma should work well for that purpose too.

I did use the DA55-300 for an outdoor soccer game a few years ago and got some good shots, but I don't think it was ideal. It's hard to imagine using it for indoor soccer.

You probably already know this, but while the DA*300/4 is a good option, you don't want to get the DA*200/2.8. I had one for less than 2 weeks. It was quite a nice lens - except for shooting sports (AF was too slow). I like the IQ better than what I've seen from the Sigma 70-200 OS, but that hardly matters when it can't hit the focus!

In cross country I can get good shots with any of the 3 primes I mentioned between 85 and 300mm. That's because the runners help vary the framing for you as they run toward you! I've noticed that a lens with good IQ will pay of in sports photos in much the same way it does for portrait shooting.

The FA135 focuses quite quickly - I'd say get either that (FA or F version) or the Sigma. Otherwise pick up a refurb 7D from the Canon site, plus a copy of their (recently lowered in price) 135/2 lens. You can get good prices on the Canon stuff, the only problem being that most of it will probably be replaced with (more expensive) new versions next year.

Last edited by DSims; 12-19-2012 at 01:43 AM.
12-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Keebler

Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback folks. I ended up getting the Sigma 70-200. Incredible how much faster it focuses than the 50-300 (which I guess shouldn't be surprising), but wow.

Can't wait to take out for some shots.
12-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Post some samples and have fund with the lens. I got my Tamron 70-200 2.8 today as well.