Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #46
HSV
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Isn't there like a bevy of fast Sigma lens, 30 1.4 , 70 1.4, 85 1.4. All as far as I can tell excellent lenses.
Just curious, which is the 70 1.4?

12-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Just curious, which is the 70 1.4?
I think that should have been 50 1.4:

50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM - Standard Prime Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
12-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The FA Limited lenses are no longer "modern," but 31/1.8 is very close to 28/1.8.
The FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited is considerably more modern in terms of lens design than the nearly 50 year old Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L. Mechanically the FA31 is somewhat of an anachronism given that it has an aperture ring and screw-drive AF, but I doubt that the "modern" SDM drive motors would be able to produce the necessary torque to move a dampened focusing mechanism like the one FA limited lenses use.
12-24-2012, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

I'll go out on a limb here and say all of the advancements made in camera lens technology since the FA Ltds were designed have been concentrated on controling flare when shooting directly into a strong light source and in increasing the effective resolution at the sensor to levels above 100% view simple pixel-peeping. It's all good, of course, but some of the shots I've seen which were captured with current Nikon lenses with full sun in one corner without any detectable lens flare at all are spooky looking. A person needs to ask just how many photographs having full sun or a strong light source within the image frame are necessary and to what end are they to be captured. And I'm not sure pixel-peeping can be considered photography but more of a computer tech hobby.

My second question here is just how many of us are frequently shooting at full apertures? Granted, having a nicely bright view through a finder is a great thing to have but a 35/2 lens is just as fast as a 35/1.4 when both are shot at F2.8. Heck, the zoom lens shooting folks believe any lens that goes wider than F4 is worth big money so I guess fast is relative. Somewhere right now, a 4x5 or 8x10 shooter is laughing while reading this and considering his/her "fast" F5.6 lenses. And it's one thing to shoot low light landscapes at wide apertures but it's another to shoot wide aperture, low light close-ups. You're still looking at stopping down a click or two to get enough DOF, especially if you're shooting close to minimum distance with any lens longer than a 35mm. Say, an 85/1.4 won't do much for you that an 85/1.8 or 85/2 won't at any distance less than maybe 20 feet. A good question here is how would an FA31/1.4 Ltd be received if it takes 77mm filters and weighs three times as much as the current FA31. If Pentax has, say, 1% of the customers as Nikon, and just 5% of the Pentax lenses sold are primes, and just 5% of the prime lens shooters buy the pro-grade primes we'd be left with just a very small number of folks who would buy that FA31/1.4 Ltd!

12-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
You're still looking at stopping down a click or two to get enough DOF
FF shooters despise too much DoF. Bite your tongue. They always shoot wide open... to take advantage of that "more control".

Sorry, couldn't resets.
12-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
I'll go out on a limb here and say all of the advancements made in camera lens technology since the FA Ltds were designed have been concentrated on controling flare when shooting directly into a strong light source and in increasing the effective resolution at the sensor to levels above 100% view simple pixel-peeping.
Sensor resolution keeps increasing,
so what's "above 100% view simple pixel-peeping" on old sensors
may already be several blur units on later sensors.

You're still looking at stopping down a click or two to get enough DOF
Not with focus stacking.
12-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #52
Pentaxian

A good question here is how would an FA31/1.4 Ltd be received if it takes 77mm filters and weighs three times as much as the current FA31.
As I understand it, small size is part of the philosophy of the Pentax Limited lenses,
so an FA 31/1.4 Ltd would be an oxymoron.
12-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #53
Pentaxian

A person needs to ask just how many photographs having full sun or a strong light source within the image frame are necessary and to what end are they to be captured.
Why put limits on the kind of photographs people take?

(Religious and community norms possibly excepted.)

12-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #54
Site Supporter

The DA15 Limited has that "dare to flare" resistance to flare that seems almost uncanny. Is that somehow related to the small front element as opposed the size of the element in a faster 15? Or is that part of the optical formula? Just curious if anyone knows.
12-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #55
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
During the 80s when Pop Photo was more about telling the world about actual camera specs than advertisements, Pentax reviews showed their lenses to always have the lowest flare of anything on the market. This was attributed mostly to the lens coatings rather than lens design.

Jack
12-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited is considerably more modern in terms of lens design than the nearly 50 year old Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L. Mechanically the FA31 is somewhat of an anachronism given that it has an aperture ring and screw-drive AF, but I doubt that the "modern" SDM drive motors would be able to produce the necessary torque to move a dampened focusing mechanism like the one FA limited lenses use.
They certainly are and they need to make a cltuch anyway between the SDM and the focus ring so that you don't turn the SDM if you use the focus ring.

How i know that they are powerful enough, well they move bigger glass in weather sealed lenses so.
12-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster
please not more pointing to the 1000 dollar 31mm.

lets get down to it here, the only real wide angle fast prime is that 31 limited, but what happens if we take that lens away...

if you are looking for wide, fast glass in pentax outside of that there is what? - Im counting lenses below 35mm here, and anything over f/2 is not fast.

its disappointing that the brand new DA 35 is 2.4 - I shoot in low light a lot and anyone who has can tell you that the difference between a 1.4 or 1.8 and 2.4 is pretty darn large; it is nonsense to say that fast glass/large apertures do not matter anymore with modern sensors . This is not even mentioning DOF.

I feel like a large number of consumers would be motivated to spend 200-300 extra - a fast, wide prime lens coming in at 400-600 and getting something worth keeping down the line.

whats next for pentax a plastic 28mm f4 for $300 with mediocre performance?

Lets look at the lenses fuji released with their xpro -
18mm f2,
35mm 1.4
60mm 2.4

The Fujis are all metal construction, glass that rivals legendary legacy glass, especially the 35 1.4, for 600 dollars each! (half the price of the 31mm)

This is what I want from pentax.

Is it possible?
12-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #58
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pentax, in the room with canon and nikon, should try and distinguish itself in the marketplace. Something that turns heads. Fuji did this with the x series. People stopped and said...wow.

Pentax can do this. They arguably did it with the k30 body, though its not a game changer, it is enough of a break from the status quo that people have noticed. Weather sealed, class leading viewfinder, focus peaking, DNG output, proven and then refined sensor, great ergonomics, etc etc for 600 and change! and people ARE seemingly turning their heads at this release.

Now lets see something with the glass.

ANY manufacturer can produce a nice 31mm 1.8 for 1200 dollars. Lets see something innovative, creative and challenging to the industry. a middle finger to canon and nikon saying lets see you guys try this

Two plastic moderately performing, consumer level lenses in the da 50 1.8, and 35 2.4 are NOT it. Nice looking expensive pancake lenses are NOT it.
12-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by godwinaustin Quote
lets get down to it here, the only real wide angle fast prime is that 31 limited
31mm is normal on APS-C, not wide.

I shoot in low light a lot and anyone who has can tell you that the difference between a 1.4 or 1.8 and 2.4 is pretty darn large; it is nonsense to say that fast glass/large apertures do not matter anymore with modern sensors.
Can you show us how good your focusing is at f/1.4 in low light?

Lets look at the lenses fuji released with their xpro -
18mm f2
5% barrel distortion?
A lens that needs stopping down to f/4 for moderately acceptable edge resolution
(before you degrade that correcting the barrel distortion)?

glass that rivals legendary legacy glass
Hardly.
12-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #60
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
31mm is normal on APS-C, not wide.

Can you show us how good your focusing is at f/1.4 in low light?

5% barrel distortion?
A lens that needs stopping down to f/4 for moderately acceptable edge resolution
(before you degrade that correcting the barrel distortion)?

Hardly.
Look, I think that if pentax released a classically styled, all metal, 18mm f2 and a 35mm 1.4 for a little less than 600 dollars that performed as well or better than the Fujis people would be pretty damn excited.