Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #76
Pentaxian

I would kind of hope Zeiss(cosina) would make their newer 35mm f/1.4 lens available for pentax K mount, but as things are that will never happen.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
OP didn't actually specify which format, within this "SLR lens discussion."
well this is slightly OT : but when someone mentions a desire for a "modern 35mm f/1.4 or a 28mm f/1.8" - I generally think of 35mm format, because such fast lenses would become absurdly expensive and physically massive if they were designed anything bigger than 35mm format. The Hasselblad lens you mentioned would be completely impractical to use on a 35mm or APS-C DSLR. Besides the Carl Zeiss Distagon 40mm f/4 CFE Lens typically sells for $5,973 USD - you could buy 12 DA 40mm f/2.8 lenses for that amount of money.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-31-2012 at 07:42 AM.
12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I dount the 40mm can be made faster. It's the limit of the design (of this size). Most (somewhat recent) 40mm's are 2.8: Pentax, Canon, Zeiss etc.
What about the Voitlander Ultron 40mm f2. It is pretty small, but a stop faster.
12-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #78
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What about the Voitlander Ultron 40mm f2. It is pretty small, but a stop faster.
That's a lens I would love to use, but I need AF. MF is fine and all and my second-most used lens is an M85, but for that focal length, I need the AF to make it more usable.

Also few, if any, talk about even having this lens.
12-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That may have been the "Zeiss" lens @Giklab had in mind.

12-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godwinaustin Quote
Look, I think that if pentax released a classically styled, all metal, 18mm f2 and a 35mm 1.4 for a little less than 600 dollars that performed as well or better than the Fujis people would be pretty damn excited.
Considering a 35/1.4 in a full-metal construction it just seems impossible to think Pentax can produce such a lens at 1/3rd the price of Nikon or Zeiss. And has anyone produced an 18/2 at any price for 35mm-format SLR?

The question for me still goes back to the reasons some of us have used Pentax gear over the years. Is there really a need for Pentax to offer a pro-grade 35/1.4 or 24/1.8 prime lens? Isn't there a point where a person moves so far away from the strengths of Pentax as to have the logical choice be to buy into the Nikon or Canon camp?
12-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #81
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Isn't there a point where a person moves so far away from the strengths of Pentax as to have the logical choice be to buy into the Nikon or Canon camp?
This is a sensible statement...

In my case, I shoot nearly exclusively at 52mm eq, so nearly any well-performing system will do, but I certainly do need a fast, wide-angle prime, at least a 35 to be competitive with the rest of the industry and other systems, like Fuji and even their X100, and then something around 24. It's not too much to ask for...
12-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Considering a 35/1.4 in a full-metal construction it just seems impossible to think Pentax can produce such a lens at 1/3rd the price of Nikon or Zeiss. And has anyone produced an 18/2 at any price for 35mm-format SLR?

The question for me still goes back to the reasons some of us have used Pentax gear over the years. Is there really a need for Pentax to offer a pro-grade 35/1.4 or 24/1.8 prime lens? Isn't there a point where a person moves so far away from the strengths of Pentax as to have the logical choice be to buy into the Nikon or Canon camp?
The DA and FA Ltd series are produced cheaper than the all metal Zeiss counter parts and they are not only metal but are AF to boot.
12-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #83
Pentaxian

That may have been the "Zeiss" lens @Giklab had in mind.
Yep. My bad.
PS happy new year GMT+1.

Last edited by Giklab; 12-31-2012 at 07:02 PM.
01-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The DA and FA Ltd series are produced cheaper than the all metal Zeiss counter parts and they are not only metal but are AF to boot.
I don't know about production costs,
but last year the FA 31 Ltd cost more to buy than its ZK counterparts.

The Z* lenses have superb manual focus, which many find a joy to use.
Since AF is an attribute of cheap lenses like the DA L series,
the absence of AF is not relevant to the assessment of the value of a lens.
AF versus MF is a choice that consumers make for themselves.
01-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #85
Site Supporter

I don't know about production costs,
but last year the FA 31 Ltd cost more to buy than its ZK counterparts.

The Z* lenses have superb manual focus, which many find a joy to use.
Since AF is an attribute of cheap lenses like the DA L series,
the absence of AF is not relevant to the assessment of the value of a lens.
AF versus MF is a choice that consumers make for themselves.
I disagree. First of all, the Zeiss 35mm f2 lenses sell for 1200-ish dollars, while B and H had the FA 31 for 990 all year last year (I bought one, I should know ). I think both lenses are probably over-priced, but Pentax must be selling enough FA limiteds, because even when they have sales, they don't seem to lower the prices on those lenses.

The question of auto focus versus manual focus lens is clear as well. The market says that consumers (and professional photographers) desire auto focus lenses and will pay for them. Are there groups of photographers who don't care about auto focus? Sure, but to say that there isn't value added by having a lens that can auto focus (and has decent manual focus as well) is silly. AF is not just an attribute of "cheap lenses like the DA L series" it is a feature of upper end lenses from most camera companies, including Canon L lenses and Nikon's 70-200 VR II zoom. I wonder how many they would sell if they left they offered a version without auto focus (for the same price, of course)?
01-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #86
Banned

Also, it should be known that Zeiss zk lenses are no longer in production. I asked Zeiss this via twitter some weeks ago and they said they have not been in production since 2010 and there are no plans for future ZK lenses.
01-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #87
Pentaxian

I disagree. First of all, the Zeiss 35mm f2 lenses sell for 1200-ish dollars, while B and H had the FA 31 for 990 all year last year
If you'd shopped around last year, you could have bought a new ZK 35/2 from a US Zeiss dealer for less than the FA 31 cost.

The question of auto focus versus manual focus lens is clear as well. The market says that consumers (and professional photographers) desire auto focus lenses and will pay for them.
Fine, that's why I said it's a choice that each individual consumer makes.

Are there groups of photographers who don't care about auto focus? Sure, but to say that there isn't value added by having a lens that can auto focus (and has decent manual focus as well) is silly.
No, it's a recognition of the fact that pure MF lenses like the Z*s
have a manual focus than works way better than the MF on AF lenses.

AF is not just an attribute of "cheap lenses like the DA L series"
But the AF implementation on the FA Ltd lenses Blue mentioned,
screw drive without Quick-Shift, is at least functionally the same as on the DA L lenses.

it is a feature of upper end lenses from most camera companies, including Canon L lenses and Nikon's 70-200 VR II zoom. I wonder how many they would sell if they left they offered a version without auto focus (for the same price, of course)?
Interesting question. But to get a good pure MF implementation,
they'd need to do more than just leave off the AF drive.
And then it wouldn't be the same lens.
01-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #88
Site Supporter

If you'd shopped around last year, you could have bought a new ZK 35/2 from a US Zeiss dealer for less than the FA 31 cost.
I never saw that with mainstream K-mount dealers.

IFine, that's why I said it's a choice that each individual consumer makes.
Sure but AF is an added bonus and mf with the FA lenses isn't bad.

INo, it's a recognition of the fact that pure MF lenses like the Z*s
have a manual focus than works way better than the MF on AF lenses.
The mf on FA series Ltd lenses is vastly better than af on ZK lenses.

IBut the AF implementation on the FA Ltd lenses Blue mentioned,
screw drive without Quick-Shift, is at least functionally the same as on the DA L lenses.

. . .

I
Quick shift is not much of an argument because if I am in the MF, I am not using quick shift anyway. Furthermore, the DA Ltd series lenses have Quick Shift and screw drive. I am not a big fan of getting away from screw drive for the sake of change. Even Nikon hasn't completely abandoned it. Just put some improved engineering into the motors in the future bodies. That would really screw over SDM.

Edit: The Zeiss 35/2 in F mount is currently at $1117 at BH and the 35/1.4 is at $1883. The Zeiss 28/2 in F mount is $1283. However, I would be more inclined to run Zeiss glass if I was into Leica rangefinders.

Edit: Edit: The 35/2 is available in m42 mount for $948. It is hard to get ZK since they are discontinued.

Last edited by Blue; 01-01-2013 at 10:35 AM.
01-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #89
Site Supporter

Pentax's current lens line-up includes 7 prime lenses that are f2.0 or faster: The FA 31 1.8, FA 35 f2.0, FA 43 f1.9, FA 50 f1.4, DA 50 f1.8, DA* 55 f1.4, and FA 77 f1.8.

In addition, there are 9 primes (including three macros) that are either f2.4 or f2.8 (still fast enough in terms of light-gathering given the high ISO performance of the latest generation of DSLRs): a DA14 f2.8, a DA35 f2.4, a DA35 f2.8 macro, two DA40 f2.8, a DA70 f2.4, a DA* 200 f2.8, a D FA50 f2.8 macro and a D FA 00 f2.8 macro.

That doesn't sound like such a bad selection of fast or reasonably fast primes to me. Especially when you consider that Pentax is a small, niche player in the APS-C DSLR market, and has made a conscious decision to carve out a niche that concentrates on small, compact lenses.

If that niche doesn't fit your needs, there are other camera brands that might be more appropriate or suitable to your requirements.
01-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #90
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Pentax's current lens line-up includes 7 prime lenses that are f2.0 or faster: The FA 31 1.8, FA 35 f2.0, FA 43 f1.9, FA 50 f1.4, DA 50 f1.8, DA* 55 f1.4, and FA 77 f1.8.

In addition, there are 9 primes (including three macros) that are either f2.4 or f2.8 (still fast enough in terms of light-gathering given the high ISO performance of the latest generation of DSLRs): a DA14 f2.8, a DA35 f2.4, a DA35 f2.8 macro, two DA40 f2.8, a DA70 f2.4, a DA* 200 f2.8, a D FA50 f2.8 macro and a D FA 00 f2.8 macro.

That doesn't sound like such a bad selection of fast or reasonably fast primes to me. Especially when you consider that Pentax is a small, niche player in the APS-C DSLR market, and has made a conscious decision to carve out a niche that concentrates on small, compact lenses.

If that niche doesn't fit your needs, there are other camera brands that might be more appropriate or suitable to your requirements.
The FA35 and FA50 1.4 are discontinued lenses.