Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #106
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
My browser shows EUE 739 Inkl. MwSt.,
so about USD 965 including the VAT.
739EUR * .19 MWSt=140,41
140,41+739=879.41 EUR

Don't know what the reason is, but that place deals mostly in people with business/tax ID numbers, so whenever one tries to order, they have a price that's 19% higher for the public unless one can produce documentation of a business.

Last edited by snake; 01-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #107

Here in Czech Republic (central EU) it goes for 930$ including vat, but it is not in stock, still better than 31 Ltd which goes for 1480$, that is just ridiculous...
01-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #108

Just some observations from a recent Pentax adopter...

These discussions are always interesting to me. No manufacturer can make a camera/ lens line-up so complete as to satisfy everyone for all uses. Nikon/ Canon users are lamenting shortfalls within their systems, just like the Pentax community.

Pentax is not the only manufacturer with a lack of fast wide primes - especially for APS-C. Take Nikon for example. They have exactly 2 fast wide primes for APS-C - the 10.5/2.8 (which is a fisheye) and the 35/1.8. They have some fast wide primes designed for FF, but they are not small, some are quite expensive, and some are still manual focus/ old screw-drive AF. Take a look at the pricing for a Nikkor 14/2.8 (manual focus), or 24/1.4, and look at the physical size of the lenses. They are large, and they are expensive. Yes, there are some third-party options available for Nikon (and Canon) that Pentax does not have. Cosina Zeiss/ Voigtlander no longer producing lenses for K-mount doesn't help the situation.

Remember, with APS-C one of the selling points is smaller/ lighter camera body/ lens designs - right? Nikon/ Canon/ Pentax have the smaller lighter bodies and consumer zooms, but where are the smaller/ lighter primes? Pentax. One of the main reasons I have a K-5 is the DA Limited lenses. You cannot get those with Nikon. Their smallest DX prime (35/1.8), while not huge, is a bulky chunk of plastic and glass compared to the DA Ltd 35/2.8 Macro - which looks and feels like the quality lens that it is. Yes, the Nikon 35 is faster and the Pentax is heavier, but for my uses the Pentax is a better lens with wider applications. And Nikon has nothing resembling the DA Ltd 15 for their line-up.

With regards to the Fuji X lenses... I recently picked up an X-Pro1 with the 35/1.4. Fuji is in a unique position as they are basically starting a system from scratch. They can meet the smaller/ lighter lens design promise of APS-C without having to worry about legacy glass compatibility.

My initial impression of the 35/1.4? Optics are very good, very sharp, good color reproduction. Not sure about flare yet. Build quality is a "wait and see" thing for me right now, as I have some question about long-term durability/ reliability. It is metal, but light weight. Fit and finish is top-notch. Aperture ring is way too easy to turn IMHO,with minimal resistance at aperture stops, and I'm not sure if it will get worse with years of use. Compared to my F-mount Voigtlanders and legacy Nikkor Ai-S glass, I have little doubt those lenses will take hard use/ occasional unintentional knocks and keep working for decades. I have serious doubts that the Fujinon would survive the same use without trips to the repair shop. Hopefully I am wrong in my initial impression.