Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love to modify things.

After I learned that the only way to hold my 400mm f/2.8 A* was with a gimbal head, I have become a gimbal head fanatic. (They are pricey, but believe me, nothing works better.)
My favorite lens is the 300mm f/4.5 A*. The one without the tripod mounting ring. In my opinion, this is the best lens Pentax has ever made, maybe the best lens that anyone has ever made. One falut: no builtin tripod mounting ring.
On eBay I found a "for" Canon tripod mounting ring. Less than $7.00 and free shipping. The diameter of the Canon lens it was made to work with was close to the diameter of my 300 4.5 as far as I could tell, and for less than $7.00, what the heck.
It was too tight.
Removal of the felt lining made it closer, but still too tight.
Down to the shop. Mount a sanding drum to my drill press, turn up the speed, and VOILA--it works.
Now it IS the best lens ever.

12-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

What about a picture of your setup
12-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Talking for the FA* 300 4.5 that I own - that cheap Chinese tripod ring works almost perfectly. A bit tight where I can't totally tighten the bolt on the ring, but good enough that it will stay put for sure.

While I have never tried the A* version, I feel my FA* is very hard to beat!
12-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
After I learned that the only way to hold my 400mm f/2.8 A* was with a gimbal head, I have become a gimbal head fanatic. (They are pricey, but believe me, nothing works better.)
My favorite lens is the 300mm f/4.5 A*. The one without the tripod mounting ring. In my opinion, this is the best lens Pentax has ever made, maybe the best lens that anyone has ever made. One falut: no builtin tripod mounting ring.
On eBay I found a "for" Canon tripod mounting ring. Less than $7.00 and free shipping. The diameter of the Canon lens it was made to work with was close to the diameter of my 300 4.5 as far as I could tell, and for less than $7.00, what the heck.
It was too tight.
Removal of the felt lining made it closer, but still too tight.
Down to the shop. Mount a sanding drum to my drill press, turn up the speed, and VOILA--it works.
Now it IS the best lens ever.
Where'd you get a 400 2.8...epecially in Placerville(I'm in Sac)? It seems Pentax is all over N. CA.

12-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have become a gimbal head fanatic
Which gimbal do you use? Yes I would like to see a pic of your setup with the 400. Is your rig really awkward?
12-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Talking for the FA* 300 4.5 that I own - that cheap Chinese tripod ring works almost perfectly. A bit tight where I can't totally tighten the bolt on the ring, but good enough that it will stay put for sure.

Stan--
You are probably getting used to my "mis-speaks". It is the FA* 300 4.5 that I have.
Jack
12-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Which gimbal do you use? Yes I would like to see a pic of your setup with the 400. Is your rig really awkward?
Bob-
I have the Induro GHB1. US$360 at B&H. It supports the 400 2.8 quite well, but others have suggested it is a bit scary usinng a side mount gimbal. I agree. But the others cost way too much for me.
Awkard, yes, but 13.25 pounds is going to be awkward no matter what.
Jack
12-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Where'd you get a 400 2.8...epecially in Placerville(I'm in Sac)? It seems Pentax is all over N. CA.
Tabl10--
I bought it on eBay quite some time ago. It came with the 1.7x AF adapter. I don't know about you, but until this combination I always sort of snickered at the notion that a rising and falling mirror could make enough vibration to affect image quality. Now I am a believer--I try to not even breathe when making an exposure. Without the 1.7x AF adapter vibration is still a major problem, but at least I can breathe.
Before the gimbal head I had always used one of three brands of pistol grip heads. Loved 'em until I tried to molunt the 400 2.8. NO GO AT ALL.

12-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

Stan--
Is yours about the color of Canon lenses? Does it say "For Canon Tripod Mount Ring A (W)" on it? Cost about $6.95?
I ask because I took quite a lot of material off the inside of the one I got and the fit is still quite snug. We probably got different makes of ring.
12-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Stan--
Is yours about the color of Canon lenses? Does it say "For Canon Tripod Mount Ring A (W)" on it? Cost about $6.95?
I ask because I took quite a lot of material off the inside of the one I got and the fit is still quite snug. We probably got different makes of ring.
OK - makes a lot more sense now that you are talking about the FA* lens.

This is the one I have - bought about 1 year ago - need to check ebay more often for this stuff as it is quite a bit cheaper for the same thing usually:

Amazon.com: Opteka Tripod Collar Mount for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L USM, & EF 400mm f/5.6L USM SLR Lenses: Camera & Photo

The lettering on it is just as you say above.

Notice in the pic the collar is actually almost covering the aperture ring. This seemed to be the only way to make it fit with one of the protruding edges of the inside of the collar going over the aperture ring. Just earlier tonight I tried it a little more forward - half way between the aperture ring and the focus indicator window. I found if I give it some effort it will go on this way. I do need to take away some of the felt material inside the ring, but then am concerned with marking the lens barrel. Just putting the ring on once as I explained, I think I made a mark on the metal ID tag on the lens. Not that my lens is pristine on the outside, but really would hate to make any other marks.

I will work on taking some material off the inside over the weekend.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:12 AM.
12-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Tabl10--
I bought it on eBay quite some time ago. It came with the 1.7x AF adapter. I don't know about you, but until this combination I always sort of snickered at the notion that a rising and falling mirror could make enough vibration to affect image quality. Now I am a believer--I try to not even breathe when making an exposure. Without the 1.7x AF adapter vibration is still a major problem, but at least I can breathe.
Before the gimbal head I had always used one of three brands of pistol grip heads. Loved 'em until I tried to molunt the 400 2.8. NO GO AT ALL.

Have you tried mirror lock-up?
01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi All-
Be sure to see my post of a few minutes ago re: the world's cheapest Arca-Swiss type plate.
J.
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi All-
Be sure to see my post of a few minutes ago re: the world's cheapest Arca-Swiss type plate.
J.
Is there somewhere special we are supposed to look/hunt or can you post a link?
01-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter

And Don't forget that little wee Dremel tool....a true McGuiver tool
01-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #15

ugh, I just missed out on the FA*300 f4.5 for $620, got outbid while asleep