Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

Advice on Lens Purchase

Hello,

I am debating purchasing a new lens. I purchased the K30 non-WR kit when it came out. I also have a Sigma DL Zoom 75-300mm 1:4-5.6. I am thinking about spending around $200 to $250 US.

I am debating between getting a prime like the DA 50mm 1.8 or the DA 40mm XS lens. My other option is to get the DA 50-200mm WR. I know that this covers some of the same focal length territory as the Sigma, but it adds the weather resistance.

So, this begs a couple of questions I think:

Would it be worth it to buy a lens for the weather resistance given that I have the K30? Does the weather resistance add that much value? Or would I be better served to buy a prime to expand my creative options?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

12-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you likely to take photos in the rain? If I still lived in a subtropical or tropical area, I might be more interested in WR lenses. So if you're likely to have frequent situations of taking photos in the rain or high humidity, WR might be important to consider. I think you want to ask yourself what you want to achieve with the new lens. What sort of photos do you want to take? Will the lens help you with a significant number of those images? Do you want better image quality? A prime lens is more likely to deliver that than a zoom (Pentax has some great zooms, and I use two of them virtually all the time, but they're not in your stated price bracket).
12-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hoovs Quote
Hello,

I am debating purchasing a new lens. I purchased the K30 non-WR kit when it came out. I also have a Sigma DL Zoom 75-300mm 1:4-5.6. I am thinking about spending around $200 to $250 US.

I am debating between getting a prime like the DA 50mm 1.8 or the DA 40mm XS lens. My other option is to get the DA 50-200mm WR. I know that this covers some of the same focal length territory as the Sigma, but it adds the weather resistance.

So, this begs a couple of questions I think:

Would it be worth it to buy a lens for the weather resistance given that I have the K30? Does the weather resistance add that much value? Or would I be better served to buy a prime to expand my creative options?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
I would personally recommend going for a prime lens, and yup, it'll help you experiment more with composition and bokeh.

Weather sealing is nice to have, but if you don't typically find yourself shooting in the rain, I wouldn't worry about it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would personally recommend going for a prime lens, and yup, it'll help you experiment more with composition and bokeh.

Weather sealing is nice to have, but if you don't typically find yourself shooting in the rain, I wouldn't worry about it.
Since I am new to photography... if I go the prime route would I be better served by the 40mm or 50mm? I would be looking for a good walking around lens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

12-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #5

There are various options that improve your kit in different ways, within your price range ...
50-200 DA WR, adds weather resistant telephoto
16-45 DA f4 adds wider angle, and probably improves IQ over kit lens
35 DA f2.4 adds low light capability, improves IQ at one focal length and allows more subject isolation
50 DA f1.8 as for the 35 DA f2.4, but at a different focal length
100 macro adds macro capability

It really depend on what you are trying to achieve.
12-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The DA 35/2.4 and 50/1.8 are both good choices. I use my 35 more as a general purpose lens and my 50 for portraits. So if you're just getting one, I suggest the 35.
12-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd get the 35 or 40 as well, because you can pick up a manual focus 50 f2 for peanuts to see if you like the focal length. Me personally, I usually hate 50, always too long inside, always too short outside.
12-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I'd get the 35 or 40 as well, because you can pick up a manual focus 50 f2 for peanuts to see if you like the focal length. Me personally, I usually hate 50, always too long inside, always too short outside.
I agree with Kozlok, you don't have the 35/2.4 on you original list, but it's in your price range and an excellent lens. I can't comment on the 40 XS.

12-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a WR lens also helpful against dust? I worked at an archaeological dig this summer, and if you've been on one, you know that dust as fine as flour fills the air. I was super careful w/ my K-x, and I did mainly use my WR DA 18-135, but still I ended up with a lot of dust in the body. The lens stayed clean. The sensor could be cleaned well enough, but my viewfinder has quite a bit of speckles. What I guess I'm asking then, is this:
Is a K-30 really WR (in terms of dust especially) without a WR lens?

UPDATE: After posting this, I went to 'another' site where this white paper from Pentax was shared indicating what they mean by WR. Basically a DA* is water and dust resistant. A WR designation is simply weather resistant meaning that it will be difficult for water to get into the lens.

Here's the white paper.

I'd still like a dust-resistant rig...

Last edited by mgvh; 12-21-2012 at 11:37 PM.