Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Lens buying advice 40mm limited

Hi all
Hope you are all having a nice festiv season
I need some advise to buy a Pentax 40mm DA limited 2.8 lens
Currently I have 16-50 2.8 and 50-135 2.8 in my arsenal
I am wondering if 40mm will add any improvement over 16-50 please or maybe 34mm macro
Your kind advice will be much appreciated
Thanks
Ash

12-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ozarshad Quote
Hi all
Hope you are all having a nice festiv season
I need some advise to buy a Pentax 40mm DA limited 2.8 lens
Currently I have 16-50 2.8 and 50-135 2.8 in my arsenal
I am wondering if 40mm will add any improvement over 16-50 please or maybe 34mm macro
Your kind advice will be much appreciated
Thanks
Ash
Well, it would add a bit of sharpness and a lot of compactness to your arsenal, I'd say You'll also get slightly better bokeh from either prime.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Definitely will present a smaller overall size with your camera. Don't have either other lens, but the 40 is not SDM.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-25-2012 at 02:17 AM.
12-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Completely different experience. The 40mm is so tiny you almost seem like there is no lens on. Compared to the 16-50 it is almost weightless. Sharper, a little bit, but not a huge improvement, IMHO. But as a walk around or street lens, far superior from a handling perspective.

I shoot a lot at farmer's markets and the 40mm is my favorite there. You don't get asked if you are a pro or looked at funny like I do sometimes using the 16-50. And carrying it is no big deal.

12-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I cannot offer advice as I am still pretty new to the photography world. But I do have some relevant experience. Ever since I bought my camera 6 months ago I shot with nothing but zooms. Recently I made the switch to trying to shoot primarily prime lenses.

First observation... as a general rule primes (especially DA Limited lenses) will offer what I see as a great improvement in sharpness, color rendering, and just outright handling.

I personally feel like I capture higher quality images (as in literally higher quality, sharper, etc) with primes vs the zooms. Given a zoom might not be horrible, but for me primes seem better in this regard.

The next thing is with prime lenses I feel like I am required to think more about what I am shooting and how it will be composed. Rather than just being trigger happy and taking 100 shots I might take 10 or 20 shots or even less, but those shots seem to be better thought out. I am now paying a lot more attention to composition, lighting, and other aspects of what actually makes a photograph a good photograph.

So physically yes, I feel the images are sharper, but also shooting with primes puts the focus on skill level. Now I learn about each lens a lot more than I did before. Maybe its part of my progression as a photographer, but for me its now becoming part of my style...When I look for shots I am figuring a lot of stuff out mathematically in my head. I also have a little DOF app on my phone so I can figure it all out... Knowing the field of view with each lens is essential. Now when I look for shots I have to envision my field of view and what angles out to what distance I will be getting a shot of.

I find myself determining if the shot will be good or if I need to be closer or if I will be cropping the shot or many other things before I ever take the shot itself. I really feel like I am developing my skills as a photographer. Its possible to do with zooms I guess, but since I swapped over to a primes only approach I feel like I have made a lot more progress.

Its not just about having a prime lens, but rather an entire concept and style of shooting photos.

And on top of that I can put all the primes in a small bag. I lightened my load a great deal...its not only about weight for me... ideally I will have all the lenses possible. DA, FA, etc etc but the idea behind primes is more nuanced to me. I have to know my stuff and know my gear. For me its a combination of things, but I am sold on the idea of primes.
12-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all for help
I will keep you all posted if get one
Merry Christmas
Ash
12-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd get FA43 or Sigma 50 1.4 HSM if I were you.
Merry Christmas.
12-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Instead of the DA 40mm you might want to think about the Pentax-F 28mm 2.8 or Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 (or the FA versions if the F versions aren't available). Either of these in excellent used condition will cost less than the DA 40mm, is full frame compatable, and is optically superior to the DA 40mm in my opinion (I own all three). They're physically quite a bit bigger than the 40mm pancake, but still quite small and lightweight. My favorite is the F 28mm because of the focal length (ideal for a walk around lens), but it must be everybody else's favorite too because it is hard to find.

Russ

12-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #9

hi ash!

i am currently staying in Cape Town / South Africa for a 10 week trip. I brought most of my stuff (DA12-24, DA*16-50, Tamron 70-200 and the DA40 Ltd). I must say even the 16-50 suits my range of shooting better than the DA40 i mostly take only the small option with me! Its much easier to carry/handle/explain down here... the 40mm is one of my best lenses but feels often a bit too tight... as a trade off i can carry the K5 with the DA 40 in a belt-bag and won't look like a tourist/photographer even hanging the camera from my shoulder!

Once i brought the 16-50 with me i got asked what kamera and how expensiv and so on - doesn't feel very good in certain areas of the town!
12-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My 40 and 21 are my two most used lenses. Sometimes I carry both since they are so small and light. The other 10 or so lenses gather dust most of the time until I feel a need to be creative.
12-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Lux84... I LOVE Capetown!!! I am so jealous right now.

Are you on vacation there?
12-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #12

yes for about 3 month... with my family! Good shooting here!
12-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozarshad Quote
The DA 35 Macro Ltd will definitely bring a new quality to your distance photography,
as well as letting you explore the macro world up close and personal.