Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lenses wider than ~35mm (in 35mm/FF terms) are most useful. The image below is shot with the 31Limited on a film body.

01-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
thv

Photos: Gallery
I live in SW Iceland and have often photographed the aurora. I have the DA 12-24 f4 and the DA* 16-50 f2.8. I most often end up using the DA 12-12 f4 because 16mm is too narrow, and the aperture difference doesn't matter as much. The aurora often covers a good portion of the sky and moves while you're exposing, so the wider the better.

Iceland in March isn't very cold, but can be quite wet and windy. I second Professor Batty's recomendation for a fleece sweater and windbreaker. I also often wear rain proof trousers and gloves, and bring along mittens over the gloves just in case. I'd also recommend renting a four wheel drive vehicle, although they're probably more expensive. This allows you to drive to better vantage points without getting stuck in the mud.

I'm a bit worried about the route you'll take between Stykkisholmur and Fludir, as the most direct route will probably be impassable in March, and you will probably have to go through Reykjavik. You might want to look at the map at http://http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/road-conditions-and-weather/the-enti.../island1e.html to see which roads are closed. This map is updated frequently and is generally a good guide to driving conditions here.

Thrainn
01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Excellent thanks for the advice and I will put the "vergagerdin" site on my iphone. I have rented a 4 wheel drive.
03-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool photo!

03-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Ideally wide and fast, if not take two, from your lens selection, I would take for wide your SMC Pentax DA 12-24 1:4 and for fast your SMC Pentax M 40 1:2.8.

Enjoy what sounds like could be a great trip, remember to post the results when you get back.