Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How "slow" is the DA * 50 -135 auto focus?

On the new k5iis how slow does it focus?
I am thinking after being with friends tonight it would better serve my purposes then a 70-200mm range. I do want it to do some indoor sports shots as well...but primary shots would be people and street photography
Any opinions welcome

Thanks

Randy

12-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Randy they say 16 50 is slower than 50 135. My 16 50 easily focus quicker then the 18 135 on k5iis.

Hope this helps.
12-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Banned

only good for portrait. forget about sport.
12-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you are shooting for family pics, it works pretty fine for volleyball, basketball.

Streets: shoot without the hood and you could get away with using it in streets. But its still a big lens and I would only use it for street photos, if there were parades, festivals or other public events going on.

The speed of AF is not great but I find it more than enough on the K5, no idea about K5ii

Last edited by psychdoc; 11-14-2015 at 03:39 PM.
12-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Closed Account

I've made money shooting sports with it. Regardless of equipment brand, its important to know the sport and whats going to happen. Tracking action with a single center focus point & the rear AF makes the shutter ready to go.
12-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
I've made money shooting sports with it. Regardless of equipment brand, its important to know the sport and whats going to happen. Tracking action with a single center focus point & the rear AF makes the shutter ready to go.
Well said I have tried 7D and D7000 and both may be fast but it ain't exactly accurate either. Coincidentally all pros using those recommended spot focus for tough targets like BIF, even though the 7D has 39 'millions' cross type af points.
12-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My newly bought DA*50135 is really fast in AF, mounted on a K5IIs of course. I don't think it's a slow AF lens anymore. Don't remember my previous copy was as fast. I've no idea it's due to the lens or new camera

01-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

The reason for the slow focus is because of the long focus throw. If you are focussing closely from one I next to another then the lens focus as fast as the 16-50mm which has a very short focus throw in comparison.

I have shot professional sports and concert photography with the 50-135mm and rate it highly.
01-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I know the 50-135 that I currently have on the K-5 is a lot faster than the 55-300 was on the K20d.
01-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I know the 50-135 that I currently have on the K-5 is a lot faster than the 55-300 was on the K20d.
My 55-300 focuses faster (and more accurately) on the K-30 than it did on the K20D, so the camera definitely does make a difference.
01-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Closed Account

On my K-5, it isn't as lightning fast as I had hoped, but fast enough and usually ridiculously accurate! I've shot indoors in hockey arenas and recently outdoors with people tobogganing and have gotten wonderful results. Also note, however, that I've had time to get use to this camera-lens combination; don't expect a large amount of 'keepers' if either your experience or equipment is new!

Okay, that's sports and now on to people. The lens reviews on this site will sing its praises in this regard. However, for me its focal length is perfect for capturing candid shots as well as portraits, and it also has magnificent sharpness, contrast, bokeh, etc.

As for street photos, depends on your style. If your prefer nearby subjects, a zoom this large is a bit too conspicuous for my tastes and I prefer a prime instead. However, if you prefer to isolate and capture a more distant subject, a zoom like this is the way to go, lighter than a 70-200 but still good enough range.

If none of this is convincing, then for no other reason buy this lens for its WR. I love not having to dash indoors in wet weather when I still have shots to capture!
01-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Closed Account

Tracking action with a single center focus point & the rear AF makes the shutter ready to go.
Yes, VERY crucial to disable AF on the shutter button and use the rear AF button instead with moving subjects. That way, your continuous AF won't momentarily pause and/or lose its target as you fire off a shot with the shutter button.
01-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
On my K-5, it isn't as lightning fast as I had hoped, but fast enough and usually ridiculously accurate! I've shot indoors in hockey arenas and recently outdoors with people tobogganing and have gotten wonderful results. Also note, however, that I've had time to get use to this camera-lens combination; don't expect a large amount of 'keepers' if either your experience or equipment is new!

Okay, that's sports and now on to people. The lens reviews on this site will sing its praises in this regard. However, for me its focal length is perfect for capturing candid shots as well as portraits, and it also has magnificent sharpness, contrast, bokeh, etc.

As for street photos, depends on your style. If your prefer nearby subjects, a zoom this large is a bit too conspicuous for my tastes and I prefer a prime instead. However, if you prefer to isolate and capture a more distant subject, a zoom like this is the way to go, lighter than a 70-200 but still good enough range.

If none of this is convincing, then for no other reason buy this lens for its WR. I love not having to dash indoors in wet weather when I still have shots to capture!
i agree with you
is some one need faster focus you can bay-PENTAX DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 ED SDM