Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Will you help this newbie set up her Sears 60-300....

I know about removing the pin...

What else do I need to do or know? I've been trying to search and I found some info on a thread...am I right to understand I can't use it in AF mode? Taking a trip this summer and will ot always be able to take the time to use Manual mode.....

THANK you!!!!!!

02-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, it is a manual focus lens. Since you already know about the pin, I won't bother you with the details. If that's the lens I'm thinking of, it should have an "A" setting, so you should be able to use it in any exposure mode (P, Av, Tv, M) just fine.

Not a bad lens really, especially for the money. If you REALLY REALLY think you need autofocus, I'd suggest scrounging up $150 or so for a DA 50-200. Can't go wrong with that one.
02-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This thread was started by my dearly departed twin over at dpreview about 2 years ago. It's worth a read.

The Canonical Stuck Lens Information thread: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

I have what I would assume to be a similar lens, but it appears to have a different problem. I purchased a Sears 28mm f/2.8 off of ebay (pictures here) and it says on the bottom that it's a P/K mount. It fits into my K10d, but it doesn't twist all the way and lock into place like it should. I mean, I can still take pictures with it, but I have to hold it in place.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a modification I need to perform to make this work? I read the thread to which ericc supplied the link, but there are no examples of any lenses like mine.

(I wasn't sure whether to post this as it's own thread; if I should, someone let me know and I will do so.)

02-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #5

Can you take a picture of the mount? I have a Vivitar p/k,m which had to be mod. to work. Took me a whole 10 minutes using a hack saw blade. Hinman uses a dremel tool. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19602-dremel-t...ification.html
Try that and see if it helps.
02-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Forum Member

Sorry, I thought I had multiple pictures in that album. I added the other pictures I took; if anyone wants me to take one at a different angle, let me know.

Cajuncutter, thanks for the link! That looks like the same type of mount. Do you think you can verify this for me by looking at the pictures I just added?

*edit: Never mind. I thought hinman's photos were pre-modification. It looks like it's different.
02-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #7

I have a Vivtar lens that had the same problem. With mine the mount was over tightened so the body of the lens would hit the camera before it would lock. I loosened the screws just a but and that solved it.

02-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Forum Member

Do you mean the three main screws on the bottom? I just loosen those a little and it should work? Wow, thanks! I'll let you know if it works.
02-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is a tip I got from DPReview I couldn't find the link but I had it in my files.

02-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #10

Yep. On mine you could see that the lens body was down past the mount. I compared it to another lens and could see that there should be just a little bit of the mount showing.

Hope that works for you.