Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
Banned

So long as the light is good, my camera of choice is a small-sensored prosumer for panos. I'm really not happy using my k-5 for them, many due to curvature, no matter what the lens.

01-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
So long as the light is good, my camera of choice is a small-sensored prosumer for panos. I'm really not happy using my k-5 for them, many due to curvature, no matter what the lens.
That would suggest the DA 35 Ltd would be a good lens in that situation.
01-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaylorRiverGuy Quote
...While the two limited lenses noted above have been on my wishlist for a long time, the Photozone test results (Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.4 AL - Review / Lens Test) tempt me to save a while lot of money and go with the DA 35mm f/2.4.

Does anyone have experience with this lens for the above stated purpose?...
My experience with the DA35 f/2.4 has generally been good due to normal perspective, low distortion/vignetting and general very good sharpness. I can't say that it is necessarily the best lens, as generally I have had good results with several lenses including the Sigma 10-20 in the UWA range. Also, old legecy M/A-50mm f/1.7 works very well imho.

Example from DA35 f/2.4 stitch from 10 images using Hugin (previously posted in lens samples)

Example {edit: oops was also DA35 f/2.4} (21images 3x7). Note perspective distortion from stitch.

Last edited by KevinR; 01-01-2013 at 10:54 AM.
01-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #34

I've used both the 35 f2.8 limited for landscape panos and the FA77 limited. Both are of course very good and very sharp.
The FA 77 is cool since you can use it for Bokeh panoramas. Easy to get 50-60 megapixel images.
Shoot RAW, use manual exposure and manual focus, and give all the images the same post processing. I use LR to post process and PSE to stitch.
I made a pano head but unless you have near subjects in the frame you can manage with an ordinary tripod.

Paul

01-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
My experience with the DA35 f/2.4 has generally been good due to normal perspective, low distortion/vignetting and general very good sharpness. I can't say that it is necessarily the best lens, as generally I have had good results with several lenses including the Sigma 10-20 in the UWA range. Also, old legecy M/A-50mm f/1.7 works very well imho.

Example from DA35 f/2.4 stitch from 10 images using Hugin (previously posted in lens samples)

Example {edit: oops was also DA35 f/2.4} (21images 3x7). Note perspective distortion from stitch.
nice panorama
with sigma 10-20 you can recive the same result with3 pictures instead 10 images
01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I am having trouble answering your question simply because there is no one lens that will do the best job for all panos. That is, a good longer lens will yield more detail with least distortion but the resulting pano has more pieces which could trip you up if you have changing light, moving water, people, cars, sun or moon, etc in the shot. Multi rows get trickier when the light is a moving target. Also, the closer your foreground objects are, the more issues you'll have using longer lenses. Of the choices you provided, I love the FA31 for highly detailed, sharp multirow panos. I also use the FA77 when I want to make a giant print and want to keep the detail. Keep in mind, if you are not printing giant prints, there are diminishing returns to using longer or sharper lenses.
I would obviously avoid the wider lenses due to converging verticals and other distortion a, but with enough overlap, most any old lens can still produce a great image.
Later when I can get on a laptop I will share a couple of my favorite panos, one comes to mind using the FA31.
Good luck!
01-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by koper Quote
nice panorama
with sigma 10-20 you can recive the same result with3 pictures instead 10 images
No, not the same result. There would be more distortion and less resolution.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaylorRiverGuy Quote
My objective is to have the absolute best sharpness across the entire frame while also minimizing distortions.
The OP is asking what lens gives the best combination of sharpness and low distortion? While the 10-20 is a great lens, it isn't the best for this combination of features.
01-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #38

for shooting panoramas you need
-.simple and fast combinations of frames for stiching the frames at home with computer
only shooting with wide angle lens you can recive such result
please see the manual of all panorama stiching programs
i have expirience in this camp of shooting for many years !!!

01-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #39
Pentaxian

for shooting panoramas you need
-.simple and fast combinations of frames for stiching the frames at home with computer
only shooting with wide angle lens you can recive such result
please see the manual of all panorama stiching programs
i have expirience in this camp of shooting for many years !!!
Incorrect statement
01-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #40
Banned

nice panorama
Ummm...It's not about using as few pics as possible to achieve the result.
01-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #41

generaly when you trivel specialy like turist you have 2-8 minutes to take a frame
you shoot 3 frames with wide angle lenses and stich the pictures at home

with tripod you can stich 10 frames of all focal lenses you whant

it is time consuming,you can miss the right aerea for stiching the frames
01-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #42
Banned

generaly when you trivel specialy like turist you have 2-8 minutes to take a frame
you shoot 3 frames with wide angle lenses and stich the pictures at home

with tripod you can stich 10 frames of all focal lenses you whant

it is time consuming,you can miss the right aerea for stiching the frames
incorrect.
01-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #44
Banned

It's not whether you're successful or not, but you're making ridiculous assertions about panos and assumptions of the situations people will be in, assumptions they will be tourists, etc.

It's bizarre, to say the least, as well as inaccurate.
01-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #45

i wish you best success in shooting panoramas

if you have time look on the links in internet

have a nice day
koper