Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

what is more precious to get 1st ? summicron 50mm or k50mm/1.2 ?

I'm just to buy one from the above lenses here in egypt ,, what to start with ? k50mm/1.2 is in very good condition whereas the leica-R in acceptable condition

also what will give me better bokeh ,, creamy like rendition ?

12-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Has the Summicron-R been fitted with a K-mount (eg the Leitax conversion)? If not, bear in mind that you'll either have to buy a conversion kit and do it yourself or get someone else to convert it for you.

There is no doubt that the Leica lens is a very good performer, however, I understand it is an f2.0 lens (I know that my older screw-mount Leica has a Summicron 50/2), so correct me if I'm wrong with the Leica-R. However, I'm sure it isn't an f1.2 lens, so the Pentax wins on that score, in terms of low light and bokeh wide open.

I have the A-50/1.2, and I doubt I'd swap it, even for a Summicron. It's a little soft wide open, but for the shots that benefit me most at full aperture, that's generally not a consideration. However, if you want a lens that's sharp across the field at f1.2, then you're probably looking for something other than either of these lenses, and something that's a hell of a lot more expensive.
12-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K50/1.2 will give you green-button metering/shutter speed setting without stopping down,
so it will be easier to use (if I'm correctly understanding the limitations of the Leitax conversion).

Bokeh is a very personal thing,
so I'd recommend you to search images on the web for these lenses
to see which one best suits your own taste.
12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Beware the f/1.2s... completely addictive :-)
If the K is in good condition snap it up, have had loads of fun with my K and A examples.

K50 f/1.2 @ f/1.2 (K20D)

Last edited by robbiec; 12-30-2012 at 08:32 PM.
12-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

As a bit of a Leicaphile, I'll add my 5 cents - get the Pentax 50mm f/1.2 - I own 180 50mm lenses, and of all of them the SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 is in my best top 5.

However the Summicron is an excellent lens, very sharp - not that resistant to flare though (contre-jour lighting can be problematic). But the difference in aperture f/1.2 Vs f/2 is what makes the Pentax lens much more desirable and considerably more enjoyable to use.