Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop is EDITING software.
Lightroom is picture MANAGING software.

Only you can decide which is more useful to you. There is a large learning curve for each, maybe you learn faster than me, but I don't have time to properly learn new software all the time. I picked LR and learned it by studying and practicing and reading everything I could find about it. I have no need or desire to learn Photoshop for what I do. But only you know whether using layers to create cool stuff is more important than managing your images. I do need layers and advanced editing occasionally and for that there are plugins to LR or I use external editors (mostly GIMP). I have an older copy of Photoshop Elements but I honestly do not know the last time I used it.

There is no question in my mind that PS is great editing software and will run rings around LR if that's what you need. You have to ask yourself what you really want to accomplish.

The cost of the software is NEGLIGIBLE compared to the time spent learning it, if you value your time at all.

12-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Different software, different purpose. But I don't see PS keeping track or 20 or 30,000 images and finding the one your client needs so you can make a sale.
PS might be the most powerful thing in the world but if you use only 10% of those functions why spend all that money when GIMP can do the same thing for free? And it doesn't do many of the things that Lightroom does. Although I'm told Bridge fills in on many of those areas, but Bridge is only available on Mac.
Bridge comes with the recent full Photoshop versions, no matter what OS. It also comes with recent Elements versions for the Mac. PC Elements versions use something called the Organizer. I haven't used it recently but the Organizer is like Lightroom from a parallel bad-software universe.

Bridge is essentially a file browser with some links to directly start a Photoshop operation. As a file browser, you can see more image-relevant information than you'd get from Windows Explorer, get previews, do some ranking and sorting. But if you perform a file operation, like moving or deleting, that file moves or is gone just like it would be in an OS bfile browser. There is no catalog. If you open an image in Bridge, Adobe Camera RAW starts up, you get the same set of sliders you would in Lightroom, then when you're done sliding, you move to Photoshop to continue or save the image. No copy is made but the ACR operations are reversable. Bridge is limited in image management compared to Lightroom. You probably have to organize images in folders or never find anything again. I like this way of operation but it isn't for everyone.

Lightroom does not magically organize your images either. It will try to give you a head start by itself but works better when you have a system.
12-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I use Picasa to organize. Can different programs interfere with each other?
01-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
I never used Lightroom and probably never will
If this works for you job done, for me I need the full range of work flow functions both these tools provide.