Photos: Gallery | Albums
quite a good lesson on the video.........thanks
12-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I cheated on this image.
12-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep..calling it cheating is just a way to dismiss a very powerfull and empowering tool...it's something that opens up new ways of processing (just as crossprocessing in the darkroom...or all the amazing things some devellopers used to do with masks and enlargers).
Denying PP is like calling cheating to not using available light.
If you're starting to get interested in the possibilities of PP just look at Joey L's portfolio...he is a master both of using flashes AND photoshop. Once you start "cheating" you might get interested and start to look at work of people who push it to incredible places., and start going to digital paintings not only enhancing photos.
I liked the video, the knowledge of brushes and blending modes will let you do very creative things with your work. One advice i didn't see and it's great for starting out: work in layers. Duplicate the base layer and work on the new one that way you can compare and feel your way to the point that pleases you most, when you're over with one adjustement repeat the duplicate...

12-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do I need both LR & PS? What's the main difference between the two? I'm going to buy a 4TB HD today for $199 for all my movies and have a dedicated TB HD for pics.
12-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Do I need both LR & PS? What's the main difference between the two?
Lightroom is a catalog/keyword/archiving system that also does 90%+ of any editing you would need to do. Maybe 99% depending on what you do.

Lightroom is designed for photographers, Photoshop for graphic designers. If you are serious about photography and want to be able locate and retrieve an image years down the road then LR is what you want. If you take few images and just want to manipulate them then PS is what you want.

If you already know and use PS then you might consider only using it. But if you are not a dedicated PS user LR is the way to go for photographs. Many people use LR as 'home base' and external editors (PS, PSE or GIMP) to provide that last 10% of things LR does not do.
12-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Do I need both LR & PS? What's the main difference between the two? I'm going to buy a 4TB HD today for $199 for all my movies and have a dedicated TB HD for pics.
Let me tell you my opinion :
(ps : i'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but remember, that is my opinion)
Lightroom is pointless. Photoshop's Camera Raw is pretty much the same as Lightroom, and inside Photoshop you can do some great layer editing and further development. (like i did in that shot above).
I never used Lightroom and probably never will, Photoshop is just so much more powerful.

12-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They are different software, serve different purposes...Lightroom is better to organize, it's integration to devellop the images from start to finish. Lightroom's workflow is efficient, the program is powerfull and can produce incredible images BUT it's not a pixel manipulator...
Photoshop offers complete control, it's powerfull, it lets you heal or create an image...just look up some tutorials in Youtube, you'll see what it's capable of really fast.
One thing before comitting a lot of money in software licenses you might want to try the GIMP, it lacks some of the more advanced features of photoshop but it's great to start and see if you like to immerse yourself in that world. I'm just starting out and i really love the possibilities it's opening up and the ideas i'm getting..it just expands what you can do to images, and it feels a lot like painting (wich i do, with sprays, but seldomly lately since it's quite expensive).
12-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I use both Photoshop and Lightroom. (and a bunch of other stuff.) They're each good at different things. (or at least I'm better at doing different things with one or the other.) I don't view using software as cheating any more that I would cross-processing, dodging, burning, etc. in a chemical darkroom. YMMV and all that.
12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #10

I tried an evaluation copy of LR 4 after using PS CS3 and didn't like the limitations of LR. LR is much easier to batch process an entire folder of images but I still like the full control of PS. Bridge, which is part of PS is just as good at organizing images and I know exactly where all my images are.
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photoshop is your modern darkroom ... there is no cheating ...
12-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are we doing this "Photoshop is cheating" thread - again?

QuoteQuote:
Lightroom is pointless...I never used Lightroom... Photoshop is just so much more powerful.
That is funny.
12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
I never used Lightroom and probably never will, Photoshop is just so much more powerful.
If you've never used it, how do you know what you're missing?
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Lightroom is pointless..... I never used Lightroom and probably never will, Photoshop is just so much more powerful.
Different software, different purpose. But I don't see PS keeping track or 20 or 30,000 images and finding the one your client needs so you can make a sale.
PS might be the most powerful thing in the world but if you use only 10% of those functions why spend all that money when GIMP can do the same thing for free? And it doesn't do many of the things that Lightroom does. Although I'm told Bridge fills in on many of those areas, but Bridge is only available on Mac.
12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was just given a copy of PS 7.0. Good to go or should I add LR for the heck of it?