Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Vivitar 70-210 Series I Ver. 3

Hello, I just bought one used but what seems like the aperture spring has deteriorated. The lens is stopping down but slow and stopping down results in over exposure.
The LENS:
Vivitar Series I 70-210 1:2.8-4.0 VMC N0. 28604524 62mm

If anyone has info in regards to repair, etc. Much appreciated.

Thank you, Eric J.
Ontario, Canada.

12-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric J Quote
aperture spring has deteriorated.
Possible I suppose but I would also check the aperture blades for oil. If there is anything on them they will 'stick' just enough to cause what you describe. Repair is opening and cleaning the blades. This can be done by anyone handy with tools and having good nerves but might be better done by a professional.

If it is the aperture spring, I don't know. You could try shortening or replacing it but I've never seen one with a bad spring so out of my experience.
12-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Possible I suppose but I would also check the aperture blades for oil. If there is anything on them they will 'stick' just enough to cause what you describe. Repair is opening and cleaning the blades. This can be done by anyone handy with tools and having good nerves but might be better done by a professional.

If it is the aperture spring, I don't know. You could try shortening or replacing it but I've never seen one with a bad spring so out of my experience.
Thanks for the info. The aperture blades are clean. There is a very little bit of resistance manually exercising the aperture with the lever. Using the lens wide open I can see that this is a very good one optically, very nice contrast and colour. Just need to figure out how to make it operational.
12-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric J Quote
There is a very little bit of resistance manually exercising the aperture with the lever.
Might be the spring, might be a gummy lever somewhere, might be something bent just a bit. Try exercising it enough to see if it gets better. I've had lenses where things were stiff due to dried grease but a little repetitive motion freed things up. Probably a long shot but costs nothing. But there should not be any resistance to movement manually.

01-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wondering which mount does your lens have. I currently have two of these lenses, both version 3. One is a Pentax K mount labeled "P/K-A" the other is a Pentax/Ricoh mount labeled "P/K-A R/K-A" without the Ricoh pin (my second one of this version that I have owned) All three have been very nice optically, but only the one with the P/K-A mount is able to make well exposed photos beyond shooting wide open, without adjusting exposure. Both of the other lenses shoot fine wide open, but once you stop down the aperture they both over expose, and not consistently, the amount of over exposure would vary from one shot to the next which was the reason i sold the first one i had. The aperture blades seem to move just fine, i wonder if the connections in the mount might be the difference. I have debated trying to swap the mounts to see if that is indeed the issue, since the P/K one had a bit of fungus awhile back, and the other one is mint. But I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
01-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #6

You can find repair notes on the diaphragm here (Canon breech mount):
Page 41

and check out the Kiron Klub Yahoo Group where many Vivitar/Kino(Kiron) enthusiasts hang out:
Kiron-Klub : Kiron-Klub

Boggy may even have the service manual for this lens.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-01-2013 at 03:08 AM.
01-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, interesting source of information.

01-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Might be the spring, might be a gummy lever somewhere
...or damage to the mechanism. Any evidence that the lens might have been dropped?

A "lazy" aperture mechanism is not uncommon, but might be expensive to remedy. If the lens was described as being in full working condition, I would contact the seller to negotiate a return or partial refund.

Steve
01-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
I was wondering which mount does your lens have. I currently have two of these lenses, both version 3. One is a Pentax K mount labeled "P/K-A" the other is a Pentax/Ricoh mount labeled "P/K-A R/K-A" without the Ricoh pin (my second one of this version that I have owned) All three have been very nice optically, but only the one with the P/K-A mount is able to make well exposed photos beyond shooting wide open, without adjusting exposure. Both of the other lenses shoot fine wide open, but once you stop down the aperture they both over expose, and not consistently, the amount of over exposure would vary from one shot to the next which was the reason i sold the first one i had. The aperture blades seem to move just fine, i wonder if the connections in the mount might be the difference. I have debated trying to swap the mounts to see if that is indeed the issue, since the P/K one had a bit of fungus awhile back, and the other one is mint. But I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
Hi, I do have the P/K-A R/K-A. I just noticed that now, was wondering what the R/K-A is for. I notice wide open exposure is spot on. Can't tell you how it's stopped down since the aperture is way to slow to give me proper exposure. I am pretty sure it's the slow diaphragm because my dof does not change even if I stop down to F22. I will definitely verify that again tomorrow morning before I send it out. Eric Hendrickson is willing to fix it, he thinks there is oil in the dia rings.
01-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or damage to the mechanism. Any evidence that the lens might have been dropped?

A "lazy" aperture mechanism is not uncommon, but might be expensive to remedy. If the lens was described as being in full working condition, I would contact the seller to negotiate a return or partial refund.

Steve
Steve, now that's the funny part...I actually bought it through a local kijiji or equivalent to craigslist type listing. It was getting dark so I only shot a few pics wide open and did not even consider checking the aperture manually, since the seller repeatedly told me it was great working condition. The lens is spotless, looks like a new lens. I met the seller at his front yard. I then thought to myself that it would be nice to quickly grab a few more shots, but that's after the transaction. Then a big bang on my head after I shot a couple noticing overexposure by using in M mode. I called him, no reply then went back. He didn't like me, only pointed the finger at me that I probably dropped or damaged the lens. Lesson learned while buying private, fully test it and confirm it's functionality...wow, case of getting ripped off. Pretty much my problem now and looks like another $100 to fix it.