Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M* 300/4 Lens Collar

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I found and acquired a M* 300/4 several weeks ago. Wonderful lens in great condition. I also just ordered a Q. So, does someone have a suggestion for a lens collar that would work with it? I would like to try it with a doubler that I have, and of course the Q. I am not trusting the doubler and the lens with the K5 sitting on the tripod, so I think that a collar would be a much safer route.

Thanks!

12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rumor mill from a while back says there's a Canon collar that fits it. I never pursued it for mine. Mono pod works good for 300mm or hand hold on the new bodies that have
IBIS. I bean bag mine when I use a teleconverter.
12-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi IO,

Is there a wide enough surface to mount a tripod ring on the lens? I know my A* 200 f2.8 doesn't really have a place that's suitable. The available Canon knockoff rings are about 66,68, and 72mm ID IIRC -- I just researched these to find one that will fit on the Pentax K to Q adapter. Unfortunately I no longer have an A* 300/4 so I can't measure or try any of the ones I have.

From the picture in the lens database (actually that was my lens -- I donated the pic a long time ago) it looks like you might be able to mount a ring just forward of the focusing ring -- is that the case? If so, post here with a diameter measurement, and I'll see if I can help.

Otherwise, I have another alternative, but it's pricey -- a Hejnar lens support on an Arca Rail.

Scott
01-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Due to the nature of the construction of this lens there is not really a place to mount a support ring.

The focus ring uses most of the lens barrel length and the aperture ring and DOF scale take up the rest.

If your using a TC then you could possibly mount to this, as usually there are no moving parts or areas you require to be able to access.

All that having been said, I've used the A series version for years without collars or rings and its all worked fine.

01-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
All that having been said, I've used the A series version for years without collars or rings and its all worked fine.
I used to say the same thing about the A* 300/4 and FA* 300/4.5. . . but that was before the Q which makes them 1674mm EQ -- and some ultra tele shooters are using the K01 for the Live View w/ Focus Peaking focus accuracy. Holding a lens like this, even if it's the lightest of its kind, at arms' length, and then manual focusing, is not practical. That 77mm front element gets real heavy, real fast.

Scott
01-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a lens support option from manfrotto that might work.

Look at this on eBay:

Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support w/ Quick Release

http://bit.ly/UGsIVc
01-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
There is a lens support option from manfrotto that might work.

Look at this on eBay:

Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support w/ Quick Release

http://bit.ly/UGsIVc
This is interesting. I like the cradle on the front, leave the strap a bit loose and you'd have smooth focus.
I've got the EPL-1 as a 2nd. system and this would solve some of my concerns about mounting big Pentax
glass on the front of it. Thanks for posting.

01-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
This is interesting. I like the cradle on the front, leave the strap a bit loose and you'd have smooth focus. I've got the EPL-1 as a 2nd. system and this would solve some of my concerns about mounting big Pentax glass on the front of it. Thanks for posting.
Since it appears the length is adjustable you could presumably position the cradle in a spot that would free up the focus ring and still tighten the strap, but I guess it all depends on the lens design.
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is a link to the Hejnar lens support that I mentioned in a previous post. A Velcro strap can be added if the camera is going to be used in portrait orientation. It's a bit more elegant than the Manfrotto support system, and is the best alternative for me because I use Arca compatible support options. I also already had a number of small clamps that I use for other applications. I use it with a double clamp setup with the Q, and this gives me an Arca plate that runs almost the full length of the lens, so I can balance the whole thing on the head. Balance on the head is not absolutely necessary, but it makes the combination much easier to shoot since I'm not having to fight the weight to position the camera.

Here's a quick snap of the 6" Hejnar lens support with a Q and A* 200 f2.8 (and I'm a jerk for not noticing that the gap in the green ring on the hood was facing me. . .) The 6" rail is just long enough for this lens on the Q, but all of the physically longer lenses I have already have tripod collars on the lens. I'd only be using this setup for the A* 200/2.8 and my currently broken Tamron SP 180 f2.5. For all the rest of the shorter lenses, the tripod collar mounted on the adapter will work fine -- these two lenses have very heavy 77mm front elements and not enough space to mount a tripod ring on the lens.

6 inch Lens Support Package [LLSP4] - $85.00 : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

Scott
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by snostorm; 01-02-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added Link
01-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
This is a link to the Hejnar lens support that I mentioned in a previous post. A Velcro strap can be added if the camera is going to be used in portrait orientation. It's a bit more elegant than the Manfrotto support system, and is the best alternative for me because I use Arca compatible support options. I also already had a number of small clamps that I use for other applications. I use it with a double clamp setup with the Q, and this gives me an Arca plate that runs almost the full length of the lens, so I can balance the whole thing on the head. Balance on the head is not absolutely necessary, but it makes the combination much easier to shoot since I'm not having to fight the weight to position the camera.

Here's a quick snap of the 6" Hejnar lens support with a Q and A* 200 f2.8 (and I'm a jerk for not noticing that the gap in the green ring on the hood was facing me. . .) The 6" rail is just long enough for this lens on the Q, but all of the physically longer lenses I have already have tripod collars on the lens. I'd only be using this setup for the A* 200/2.8 and my currently broken Tamron SP 180 f2.5. For all the rest of the shorter lenses, the tripod collar mounted on the adapter will work fine -- these two lenses have very heavy 77mm front elements and not enough space to mount a tripod ring on the lens.

6 inch Lens Support Package [LLSP4] - $85.00 : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

Scott
Morning Scott and Everyone,

Thank you very much for the information. It looks very promising. I too have settled on the AS comparable system, and though that I was down to just acquiring one last clamp. I mainly picked up the Q to have a pocket camera replacing the LX3 my son ask to "borrow". With the 01 lens and hopefully some future wide angle (20-24mm) I though that I would be set. With the Q/K adapter, it just makes telephoto that much more available, and since I essentially have most of the mechanical support items already available, I thought - why not. I do remember seeing some of your posts on the Q with the longer lenses.

The Hejnar setup along with the Manfrotto looks promising. I needed a nodal rail anyway, and this setup, I could have it do double duty.

08-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote

Scott
Evening Scott,

Nothing like pondering a decision to death. I finally broke down and ordered the rail kit from Hejnar - same one, the 6" rail. I kept measuring and it was close. I have been playing with the adjustments and the 6" is a tad (about 10mm) too long. 5" would be a bit too short. I have a clamp holding the camera with a long knob on it, so that I can push the clamp's position in, but its still a bit too long. The problem, and its not a real problem - but at infinity focus, the rollers fall in the wrong place (for support) on the lens barrel. If the rollers could be removed and put on the other side of the Y yoke, it would be much better - actually perfect. I might make that suggestion to Hejnar.

All in all, the parts from Hejnar are well make, very nicely finished and fit perfectly - base clamp and everything including my Acratech GP ballhead and clamp, and also my Kirk L bracket.

This is the first time that I used the flash on my Q - and it works!!!

Attached Images

08-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I use the Manfrotto 293 on my K 300/4 that Crewl1 mentioned. Not pretty but it does the job and it's adjustable so I also use it on my Tak 200/4 and both with TC's. It's $73.95 at B&H right now.
Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H
08-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I use the Manfrotto 293 on my K 300/4 that Crewl1 mentioned. Not pretty but it does the job and it's adjustable so I also use it on my Tak 200/4 and both with TC's. It's $73.95 at B&H right now.
Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H
Afternoon Reef,

I considered the option, but I have an L Bracket on the body that uses Arca-Swiss, so in terms of comparability this approach just made everything a common mechanical interface. Manfrotto just started supporting A-S, and this looked like their own RS interface.