Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member
heatherslightbox's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gainesville, FL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,595
F50mm/1.7 vs. 43/1.9

I'll be getting the F50/1.7 through a trade and I'm wondering how it's IQ measures up against the 43Ltd. I've seen a few pics with the 50 and it looks like an impressive lens.

As much as I love my 43, if the 50's IQ is about the same or very close to it, I would be tempted to see if I could trade it for a 21 or Tamron 28-75.

Thanks!
Heather

02-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 473
I'd stick with the FA 43/1.9 Limited and bypass the F 50/1.7 all together. The F 50/1.7 is a little too narrow for normal photography. The FA 43/1.9 Limited is probably just about right.
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
At maximum aperture, the 50mm f/1.7 might have an edge over the 43mm f/1.9 optically. That's about the only advantage the 50mm has because the 43mm gives a very unique image quality the 50mm can't match. In terms of build quality you're comparing a lens with a grey plastic exterior with a very narrow focusing ring versus an all metal work of art of a FA Limited.
02-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
i keep alternating between the 43, a 5 dollar 50 lens that i have, and a FA35

honestly.... i cant tell the difference, and i keep doing self tests to try and see a difference

so really, its just a matter of field of view, go with the 43 if you want to 'see' more.

02-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Finn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,056
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
In terms of build quality you're comparing a lens with a grey plastic exterior with a very narrow focusing ring versus an all metal work of art of a FA Limited.
...with a very narrow focusing ring.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That was probably my biggest gripe about the 43. It's an unbelievable lens on a film body, but manually focusing is really tricky with that diminutive focus ring!
02-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
...with a very narrow focusing ring.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That was probably my biggest gripe about the 43. It's an unbelievable lens on a film body, but manually focusing is really tricky with that diminutive focus ring!
Yes the focusing ring is a tad small on the 43 but for most people who are already using AF on digital, the size of the focusing ring won't be an issue. The other thing I don't particularly like with the F series of lenses are the funky orange lens markings on the side.
02-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 473
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
At maximum aperture, the 50mm f/1.7 might have an edge over the 43mm f/1.9 optically. That's about the only advantage the 50mm has because the 43mm gives a very unique image quality the 50mm can't match. In terms of build quality you're comparing a lens with a grey plastic exterior with a very narrow focusing ring versus an all metal work of art of a FA Limited.
I doubt there is a significant difference between 1.9 and 1.7. People have said that 2.0 and 1.7 aren't all that different in terms of the fifties, that low-light performance between both is outstanding. So, I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor in this trade. I simply wouldn't go for it because the FA 43/1.9 Limited outclasses the F 50/1.7 by far.
02-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
I doubt there is a significant difference between 1.9 and 1.7. People have said that 2.0 and 1.7 aren't all that different in terms of the fifties, that low-light performance between both is outstanding. So, I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor in this trade. I simply wouldn't go for it because the FA 43/1.9 Limited outclasses the F 50/1.7 by far.
"outclass" would be a farcry, i think... there is so much to a lens, and all of these are going to be sharp, they are all going to render colour, and they will all have bokeh, nitpicking as some do about "bokeh" quality gets astronomicaly more complex than it should be..


FA43, a Chinon 50mm and an FA35

all cropped to almost identical fields of view, off a tripod, ISO 200, F5.6 for all....

which one is which? ahh? ahh?





02-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
Id say 50, 43 then 35.
02-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Kguru's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth - WestAust
Posts: 602
The ability to render colors well is reflected when lenses need to convey the subtle color shade variations, which is what makes things look 3D (example in the extreme: 2D Mickey Mouse animation vs 3D Toy Story). Photos of large blocks of monotone colors negate this special feature of the lenses.
02-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Id say 50, 43 then 35.
nope

and what makes you say that?
02-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
and
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,471
I had the FA50 f1.4 and FA35 before, now I have the FA43. The FA35 was very good but the 43 seems sharper (though the FA35 is very sharp already) and has nicer rendering. The FA50 I never really fell in love with, especially at wide apertures. Although my FA43 must have been a fluke since it is very sharp wide open, in contrast to several user reports and tests.
02-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
The ability to render colors well is reflected when lenses need to convey the subtle color shade variations, which is what makes things look 3D (example in the extreme: 2D Mickey Mouse animation vs 3D Toy Story). Photos of large blocks of monotone colors negate this special feature of the lenses.
i'll bite,

and remember people, one of these is a 5 dollar lens... and no peaking at the EXIF, i made them all 900mm focal lengths...

these are all F2.8, 1/25, ISO 200, tripod, mirror lockup.



02-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Posts: 190
Defiantly the sequence is the 43, 35 and the last is most certainly is the f50 1.7. I have shot extensively with each lens.
02-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Defiantly the sequence is the 43, 35 and the last is most certainly is the f50 1.7. I have shot extensively with each lens.
actualy the 50 is not the Pentax 50 1.7, its the Chinon 50 f1.9 that i mentioned in another thread.

and Buddah actualy got it right, its 50, 43 then 35 but i have a feeling he snuck a peak at the exifs
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
iq, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, trade
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which to keep....F50mm F1.7, or FA50mm F1.4? WiseOx Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 09-18-2009 04:12 AM
Pentax smc F50mm f1.7 RussellW Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-26-2008 11:27 PM
The rare F50mm f/1.4 coqui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-14-2008 06:09 AM
F50mm f1.4, Best standard lens? FLEON Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 03-18-2008 01:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top