Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #1

SMC Takumar 2.5/135 or Vivitar Series 1 2.3/135

I have been looking for a SMC Takumar 2.5/135 version II, but found recently a Vivitar series 1 2.3/135 for 100eur.

The series 1 is faster and focus closer.
The takumar is one of the few I still donīt have.

So, which would be a better buy?

01-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I found online that the Vivitar is a 0.45 magnification lens, and thus somehow almost a macro lens (even thought some will say macro is 1x magnification, but anyway !).

The Takumar II is a more common lens, is similar to the K135/2.5 in fact.

if you fint the vivitar 135/2.5 it's more or less a tak, with a 0.9x magnification, and it' use to be less expensive than the 2.3.

but i say go for the Tak to get the entire collection

Last edited by aurele; 01-02-2013 at 06:20 AM.
01-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Takumar is well, a Takumar.............. What else matters?
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
I am looking towards the vivitar just because they donīt appear so often and I guess it has better optics.
It is one of those lost dinosaurs.

01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
usually close focus designed lens are good for close focus (obviously) and are less exceptional at long distance.
01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RSilva Quote
I have been looking for a SMC Takumar 2.5/135 version II, but found recently a Vivitar series 1 2.3/135 for 100eur.

The series 1 is faster and focus closer.
The takumar is one of the few I still donīt have.

So, which would be a better buy?

I have both lenses. The SMC Takumar has better coatings. The Vivitar focuses closer. The Takumar uses 58mm filters, while the Vivitar is 72mm. Both lenses are quite sharp. Both are very well made. Can't comment on CA because I haven't used either on digital- they are in my film kits.

One area where you may see differences is in the effects of aging on the two lenses. Takumars tend to age well. The original lubricants were excellent and tend not to dry out much. They seem to be better sealed than most, with the result that internal dust is minimal unless they've been mistreated. I would check the Vivitar very carefully to make sure that all parts are moving freely, especially the diaphragm. You should also look for internal dust. The Vivitar 135 that I have has more dust than any Takumar I've owned, although it doesn't seem to affect image quality too much.

Personally, I lean toward the Takumar due to the coatings. However, if you are having trouble finding one I think you would be happy with the Vivitar.
01-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the images I've seen of the Vivitar (there are some good threads at mflenses.com), it is very prone to purple fringing. Unless you must have the close focusing, I would choose the Takumar. I have the Takumar, and it is a great lens. Try to get the second version of the SMC Takumar, which has a different (and better regarded) optical design.
01-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I have both lenses. The SMC Takumar has better coatings. The Vivitar focuses closer. The Takumar uses 58mm filters, while the Vivitar is 72mm. Both lenses are quite sharp. Both are very well made. Can't comment on CA because I haven't used either on digital- they are in my film kits.

One area where you may see differences is in the effects of aging on the two lenses. Takumars tend to age well. The original lubricants were excellent and tend not to dry out much. They seem to be better sealed than most, with the result that internal dust is minimal unless they've been mistreated. I would check the Vivitar very carefully to make sure that all parts are moving freely, especially the diaphragm. You should also look for internal dust. The Vivitar 135 that I have has more dust than any Takumar I've owned, although it doesn't seem to affect image quality too much.

Personally, I lean toward the Takumar due to the coatings. However, if you are having trouble finding one I think you would be happy with the Vivitar.
Thank you for the info, I will try to find a Tak but still I guess I will give the Series 1 a try.
I know tak's are the best well made out there, that's why I already have 14!

01-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
From the images I've seen of the Vivitar (there are some good threads at mflenses.com), it is very prone to purple fringing. Unless you must have the close focusing, I would choose the Takumar. I have the Takumar, and it is a great lens. Try to get the second version of the SMC Takumar, which has a different (and better regarded) optical design.
I already had the Super takumar 2.5/135 (first version) - It was a very soft lens, still, I would like to have the 2nd version.