Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #1

Lens question

I'm wondering if anyone could help me discern if these lenses would be worth purchasing for my K-01? Most importantly will they fit my camera, but also are they worthwhile lenses at this price? I'm very new to photography and learning as I go so I appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

Pentax zx-10 with lenses and bag

01-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, they all will be fully compatible and work with autofocus on your K-01.

I'd pick the deal up quickly as the 20mm 2.8 (ad mistakenly says 10mm) pictured is worth quite a bit on its own and isn't a very common lens.

SMC Pentax-FA 20mm F2.8 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It looks like a 20mm sitting there, I think that is the one they called a "10mm", that alone is well worth the asking price. The 28-80 is worthless, the Sigma is nothing special either. They will all fit, auto focus and work just fine on the K-01.
01-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for your insight. If you have a moment could you explain why the 20mm lens is desirable and the other two aren't? Thank you.

01-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 20mm is uncommon, very sought after and gives good image quality.

Seb.
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #6

Hi,
just to give you an idea, i bought that 20mm (FA20mm/2.8) brand new in 1995-1996 here in Canadian dollar, i paid 850$ for that lens !
It's a very good lens, pretty sharp even on APS-C camera, i use it on my K-01 with great results.
01-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rkymtnrider Quote
Thank you both for your insight. If you have a moment could you explain why the 20mm lens is desirable and the other two aren't? Thank you.
The other two are just run of the mill consumer grade zooms, the 28-80 isn't a "bad" lens, it is just worthless because it came with just about every auto focus body sold. It is the 18-55mm of its day. The Sigma is the same deal, it was the cheap lens that a lot of people got as their first telephoto zoom, again not bad, just not worth very much.

The 20mm is an uncommon focal length to find on film, it was very wide and very expensive in its day. It was also very good, but being that expensive means they didn't sell very many of them and since it is no longer in production the only way to get one is used.

It is just supply and demand.

01-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The FA20 is still worth nearly what the seller says it cost new - I paid almost that much for mine used. You need to go look at it already. I found a similarly priced package with one valuable lens a while back.

Just make sure the lens is free of fungus or obvious problems by looking through the glass. But at this price it's a good risk, even if you find a problem later because of your inexperience (most of us have). Likely the seller has an original receipt and just assumed depreciation, unless you detect he's clearly hiding something.
01-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Inactive Account

If that bag smells like a musty attic be very cautious about the condition of the glass, look through it with flashlight, look for anything that looks like something growing on the glass.
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If that bag smells like a musty attic be very cautious about the condition of the glass, look through it with flashlight, look for anything that looks like something growing on the glass.
Fungus - the main problem you are looking for - tends to look like small cracks, in patterns like broken snowflakes. You will definitely find dust and small particles - this is normal, and all lenses have some. All lenses look like they're too dirty with this test, but other than actual cracks or fungus, most problems can be repaired for much less than the value of the lens.

Have no fear. As usual, you can base your buying decision primarily on the character and behavior of the seller.

Last edited by DSims; 01-02-2013 at 11:41 AM.
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
Great info! Thanks. I will be checking out the lenses tomorrow and will keep you all abreast of the developments. I wouldn't have thought of bringing a flashlight with, so thanks for the reminder!
01-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Good luck, hope you get them and they're fine.
01-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well it took a while, but I was finally able to check out the camera and lenses today.
My initial impression of the gentleman selling the items was great. He's a local business owner, so I assume he understands any misrepresentation on his part could effect his business negatively.

I found all items to be as they were described in the CL ad. The case had no signs of abuse, and did not smell like mold or exhibit any signs of moisture-related damage.
The lenses all had their caps, and their exteriors presented as being well cared for. The glass too was clean. I followed the advice given above and brought a flashlight to perform a thorough inspection. No signs of fungus or any other damage that I could see, just some minimal dust.
The camera body is clean too, but honestly, I'm not very interested in it and haven't given it much attention. My focus was on the 20mm 2.8.
It seems like a sweet lens and I'm very excited to try it out more than I have this evening. It pretty much was the sole reason I made the purchase. I was able to buy everything for $80.

I have a couple of questions regarding the camera body and the two remaining lenses:
-Should I sell them, and if so, what should I ask for them?

Thank you all for the insight provided above. It helped me feel confident going into the purchase, and I think I got a good deal.
01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #14

I have a couple of Lowepro bags I bought in the 1980s. The urethane coating on the nylon broke down at some point and gave an oily feel to the nylon. This also reacted badly the the leatherette covering on the hardcase for my SLR. Outgassing from the coating breaking down might haze the lenses. Be aware of this possibility.