Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual Lens EXIF Information

Dear Pentax,

I use a mixture of new and old lenses. Usually this has not been a problem, given the start-up query for focal length, I can usually figure out what lens I was using. However, I now find myself with the following:
  • K 28mm/f3.5 Shift
  • Contax Zeiss 28mm/f2.8 Distagon
  • Leica R 28mm/f2.8 Elmarit
  • Super Takumar 85mm/f1.8
  • Contax Zeiss 85mm/f2.8 Sonnar
I can usually distinguish the shift - if I use it as a shift, however the other two presents a problem.

What would be nice would be a lens selection list that could be entered before hand, and then upon startup, immediately query the focal length as you currently do. However, immediately after this, provide a lens list that can be selected from. Upon selection, have this information entered on to each of the image's EXIF Metadata information for post processing.

Thanks,

01-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

As an addition - it would be nice if a user (in my case the K5) could define the focal lengthes to chose from for SR. Now I have to wade through say 24, 28, 30, 35, 40, 50, 55 etc, even when Imjust take a 24 and 85 with me.
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
  • K 28mm/f3.5 Shift
  • Contax Zeiss 28mm/f2.8 Distagon
  • Leica R 28mm/f2.8 Elmarit
  • Super Takumar 85mm/f1.8
  • Contax Zeiss 85mm/f2.8 Sonnar
I can usually distinguish the shift - if I use it as a shift, however the other two presents a problem.
I have a Zeiss ZK 25/2.8 and a K24/2.8.
But it's fairly easy to tell them apart by their rendering.
01-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Or...you could simply do it the old-fashioned way and keep a notebook and apply the EXIF later using EXIFTool or something similar. I know it sounds tedious, but keeping a book is also a good way of recording what your anticipated post-processing might be.

Steve

01-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I have a Zeiss ZK 25/2.8 and a K24/2.8.
But it's fairly easy to tell them apart by their rendering.
Actually I am in the process of trying to tell the difference between the CZ and the Leica.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or...you could simply do it the old-fashioned way and keep a notebook and apply the EXIF later using EXIFTool or something similar. I know it sounds tedious, but keeping a book is also a good way of recording what your anticipated post-processing might be.

Steve
Yup, I have a little notebook that I started doing this with, so that I could at least label the filenames consistently. However, it would be nice to have everything available in one place - and then have the EXIF metadata consistent across the files (rather than on the filenames themselves). I know I can embed the data in the EXIF, but its just one more step that will not get done all the time.

01-02-2013, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Hi IO,

Here's what I do -- I now have 9 lenses that cover 300mm -- and more if I count combinations with TCs and such -- I printed up some cards with the different lens names, and carry the cards in the lens pouches. When I change to one of these lenses, I take a shot of the card -- and know all of the subsequent shots were taken with that lens. I have separate partitions on my hard drive for each camera body, and save the images in folders by year, with subfolders by month, with subfolders by date, then add the lenses used to these date folder names, along with location and subject data. I can look at the exif of a final version of the shot (which are all copied to separate folders for finalized PP'd images by subject), get the camera model and date, and go to the correct partition, month, and date folder, and find the original by img #.

Sounds more complicated than it is -- I could also index everything in one of the photo file management programs, but I started this way a long time ago, when photo file management was in its infancy or before, and have never found one that was so astoundingly efficient that it motivated me to go through 12 years worth of files and index them to the system -- probably to find another program that's more efficient, and have to go through the whole process again. . .

Scott
01-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Afternoon Scott,

Last week or so, I did that with a couple of 3x5 cards for the two lenses that I was currently most interested in comparing - the CZ and Leica. I even dutifully put them in my backpack so I would not forget them. I even pulled them out - but alas, it was too dark, and I did not hold them still enough during the long exposure. I also used pencil, so now going back and using a large wide felt pen. I was out trying to catch some citylights shots and the like. I should really do comparison shots during the day. Old habits die hard.....

01-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
When I change to one of these lenses, I take a shot of the card
That won't help if you need to change lenses in a hurry,
like when a deer appears that you want to shoot (photographically!).
But OK, I suppose, if you remember the card later.

01-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Actually I am in the process of trying to tell the difference between the CZ and the Leica.
If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't matter which one you use!
01-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #10

What I do to regonize different lens is to imput a focal length one step different than it actually is, take a picture as a remark and than set correct lenght.
For example - I have two 35mm lenses, when I put a M lens on, I imput focal lenght of 40mm, take one picture as a remark and than set correct focal lenght. Then, If I switch to M42 lens with the same focal lenght, I input 30mm, take a remark shot and set correct one. Hope it makes sense, as my english is far from good
01-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That won't help if you need to change lenses in a hurry,
like when a deer appears that you want to shoot (photographically!).
But OK, I suppose, if you remember the card later.
Deer here in the Great Sonoran Desert? I guess I have to watch out for the Jumping Cholla then - actually that is something that I do want to miss.

If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't matter which one you use!
Well, actually I have not been able to use the lens much at all in order to be able to tell the difference. Something, I would like to see.

me with my white cane..... tap, tap, tap, tap.....
01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you could modify the copyright or photographer info on the camera for each lens.
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
you could modify the copyright or photographer info on the camera for each lens.
I've done that to distinguish between two K-x bodies,
but it would be fiddly to do when you change a lens.
01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree it would be a real pain, but it would at least update the exif.
01-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I would still not completely write off using EXIFTool. There is a GUI (graphical user interface) for the tool and it is very easy to apply lens and other information to multiple files on a single pass. I use it extensively for my film shots. Though I have to admit to not being very consistent, but nobody is going to die if I fail, eh?

Steve