Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA is so last year.
I honestly can't think of anything else I want....

01-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
When you own more than 3 50mm lenses you clearly suffer from LBA...
That's a relief! (I have only three...)

Edit: Err, unless that 58mm counts as one...
01-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #33
Site Supporter

I'm finished, but if I find can and afford 135 1.8/300 2.8/500 4.5, I'll get them and quit.
01-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Neh, luckily, I'm not interested long focal lengths at all.
Good to have a chance to picture some bacteria talkin'...... on MARS... Telescopes rocks!!! But never ever try radiotelescopes - damn expensive. And have no K-mount adaptor.

01-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #35

Photos: Albums
The strange thing is that since "getting into" this photography thing I have started imagining which lenses etc I would buy if I won the lottery rather than which cars... and I'm a complete noob so I hate to think what it is like for people who actually know what they are doing and can put a reasonable argument as to why they need every possible type of lens. Trouble is that combined with wanting them for photo purposes they are also such fantastic objects for anyone who has a slight tendency towards being a gadget freak.

On top of kit 18-50 I have so far bought DA 55-300, A 50 F1.4 and just ordered DA 35 2.4. I need to be strict with myself and just focus on learning and actually taking photos now rather than buying stuff, but in the back of my mind I am already wanting a wide angle...
01-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle:
Is the main symptom of LBA that "I just need one more lens"?
Nope! It's "I need all of 'em".

H2
02-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LBA

I am trying a new way to limit lens purchases.I vow not to buy another lens until I get the 31mm limited.
02-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am trying a new way to limit lens purchases.I vow not to buy another lens until I get the 31mm limited.
Easy, there's one left in stock: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-31mm-Limited-Samsung-Cameras/dp/B000H8FIWU/ref=...ds=Pentax+31mm - and you really should, it is a spectacular lens.

Of course, next to it, almost every lens seems mediocre.....

02-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I think part of it might be boredom. I go here and check the marketplace all the time. I don't plan on buying anything (unless it's sub-$100) but it's just fun to look around.
And when you find something that really "strikes your fancy" then LBA really sets in and you go on a long research and contemplation spree.

Like how I got my 15mm Ltd -- I was initially looking to replace my kit lens with a 16-45 or 17-70. After a lot of looking around, I randomly found the "15mm controls my mind" thread. After that I was sold (I'm sure many others were, too )
02-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
I guess there are three types of LBA:

The first grade of LBA where there is a hole in your lens line-up and you "need" to fill it up (even though you may survive with other lenses with just using them differently). This is based on real need. The least severe grade.

The second grade of LBA where you already "have everything you need" but just want to try other lenses just to know how they behave. Or to fill the tiniest holes in your lens lineup. Not really based on need but for feeling. The medium severe grade.

The third grade of LBA where you want to own the lens just for owning it. Not because you need it or use it, just because you want to own it. This is based on obsession. The most severe grade (which will bankrupt you eventually).

Any grade(s) beyond your scale?
02-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #41
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Interesting thread this one, many of the postings have raised a smile with me.

Well there's no hope for me then, I actually have all I need to get the job done and haven't bought a lens for well over a couple of years now.

Does that mean I have the less severe condition of NLBA (no LBA)
02-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

12 Steps

The 12 Steps of Lens Buyers Anonymous
  1. We admitted we were powerless over lenses - that our camera bags had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Marketplace greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lenses over to the care of the Forum members, through the Marketplace, as we know them by their PayPal addresses.
  4. Made a searching, fearless and thorough inventory of our camera bags.
  5. Admitted to the Marketplace, to ourselves, and to another special person (looking over our shoulders as we type) the exact nature of our finances.
  6. Were entirely ready to have the Marketplace remove all these defects of rational judgment about shooting with what we have, not what we dream about.
  7. Humbly asked the Marketplace to remove our excess lenses for a reasonable price.
  8. Made a list of all buyers we had harmed by refusing to sell, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such buyers wherever possible, except when to do so would just injure them with this affliction.
  10. Continued to take inventory of our camera bags, and when we bought something we didn't need promptly sold it.
  11. Sought through taking photographs and posting them in the forum to improve our conscious contact with the members, seeking only a vision of the Golden Spiral and the skill to carry that out.
  12. Having had an artistic awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other Lens Buying Addicts, and to practice these principles in all our lustful affairs with camera equipment.
02-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

I must say I have learned to sell cameras and lenses. I still experience bouts of irrational buying (such as my recent struggle with Q Fever) but I'm willing to only buy from a positive balance in my PayPal account. Perhaps the fact that I've now owned and either kept or sold virtually every accessible (the FA*250~600 just isn't ever going to happen) Pentax lens I lusted after when I was younger helps some. The very real possibility that I could actually sell everything and buy a K-5IIs and the three Queens (wouldn't that be a cool signature? - K5-IIs | FA31 | FA43 | FA77) net dollars keeps me honest. I mean, an A50/1.2 is a astonishingly pleasurable lens to use, but I did it.

I'm content to have my collection of K's and a few inexpensive cult F's. And the occasional odd if pristine white elephant such as the SF1n that I bought to get the 35~70 and 70~210 - and I can't sell the camera now.

Take a deep breath, make a plan, accept that from time to time you will slip and be willing to sell a lens now and then and you will be just fine.

Oh, and Welcome to the Club
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

There really isn't a cure, because it really isn't a disease, so those with rules for recovery are just denying the goodness that comes from having the best suite of gear that covers the whole range.

At the moment, I would be looking for a fish-eye to provide that something different for an upcoming trip to Europe, so if any of you chaps think that you can find a cure by 'giving', just PM me. I would be happy to relieve you of your burden and guilt. A form of absolution will be provided in return (limited warranty on that).

I hereby declare that I have no guilt assoicated with the following:

Sigma 10-20 f3.5-5.6 DC
Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC
Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3
Sigma 28-70 f2.8 EX DF
Pentax DA 40 f2.8 Ltd
Pentax FA 50 f1.4
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II
Sigma 100-300 f4 APO EX DG
Sigma 105 f2.8 EX DG macro
Pentax DA*300 f4
Sigma 500 f4.5 APO EX DG
A few 1.4x, 1.5x and 2x TCs
.. and a few 'bottom shelf' lenses that I keep with my K10D for when my offspring want to borrow a DSLR.
02-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a cure for LBA...
It requires a firm admission that your photography sucks and that new lens will not solve the problem.
Stop daydreaming about what that new lens will do for your photography or trying to make justifications why you need that lens (it was cheap, I need it for that holiday, you can't have too many 50mm lenses, etc.)
Once that hard truth sinks in (if it ever will), you will start to find ways to max out the usage of your existing lenses and your photos will slowly but surely improve. You'll get familiar with the lens and know its ins and outs.
You can only use one lens at a time but having too many can dull creativity because too many choices leaves you double minded.
If not, you're just a lens collector who can't shoot for nuts because all those lenses are lying idle and you don't really know how to get the best from them.

Last edited by creampuff; 02-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.